Started by Chrisskreager, Jan 30 2014 02:26 AM

Page 1 of 2

22 replies to this topic

#1 Chrisskreager

Forum Visitors

275 posts
Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:26 AM
Here are a few of mine, though not the ones you hear about a lot:

SB 35- I think the other Lewis had a better case. Jamal had 102 tough yards and a touchdown

SB 33- Rod Smith's 5-153-1 TD might have been MVP caliber.

SB 30- Chad Hennings and his 2 sacks. Unlike Larry Brown's right place, right time, Hennings didn't get those sacks by just waiting around.

#2 97Den98

Forum Visitors

1,053 posts
Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:07 AM
SB VII: Manny Fernandez

SB XIX: Roger Craig (3 TD's)

SB XXXVI: Ty Law & Otis Smith (had one INT each, Law had an INT TD)

SB XXXVIII: Jake Delhomme (In a losing cause. Brady's game wasn't that impressive, despite his stats. Delhomme had three long TD passes, and tied it up at the end. Wasn't his fault his kicker screwed him)

SB XLII: Justin Tuck and Michael Strahan (were the true difference makers with three sacks between them)

#3 conace21

Forum Visitors

1,289 posts
Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:05 AM
XXXVII: Simeon Rice was more disruptive than Dexter Jackson, who I rank only slightly above Larry Brown on the list of SB MVP's. At least Jackson made a nice break on the ball to get his interceptions.
XVIII: Hayes and Haynes would have been worthy co-MVP's.
I love Marcus Allen, but almost all his yards came after the game was essentially decided (After he scored to put LA up 28-9.) His 74 yard run was a thing of beauty, but if he had been tackled in the backfield for a 5 yard loss, I doubt if Washington would have come back to win. Not with the way Hayes and Haynes were playing. Allen also had a 39 yard run in the 4th quarter, and I figured 118 of his 174 yards came after LA was up 28-9. In the first half, Allen had a 17 yard run...on a drive that ended in a punt. He also gained some nice yardage on a drive late in the half that also ended in a punt, but it did move field position before the Squirek interception.

#4 Bob Gill
PFRA Member
Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:16 AM
Hayes and Haynes were my choices for the Raiders-Redskins game too, because the Raiders won that game on defense, by stifling a record-setting offense, and the key was that those two guys single-covered Art Monk and Charlie Brown. The Redskins weren't prepared for that at all, because they didn't think it was possible, and with an extra man in the box the Raiders canceled out John Riggins for the whole game. Your point about Marcus Allen is exactly the one I was going to make, too.

#5 TouchdownTimmy
Forum Visitors
Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:50 PM
Chrisskreager, on 30 Jan 2014 - 02:26 AM, said:
Here are a few of mine, though not the ones you hear about a lot:

SB 35- I think the other Lewis had a better case. Jamal had 102 tough yards and a touchdown

SB 33- Rod Smith's 5-153-1 TD might have been MVP caliber.

SB 30- Chad Hennings and his 2 sacks. Unlike Larry Brown's right place, right time, Hennings didn't get those sacks by just waiting around.
SB 35- Ray Lewis was the best player on the field that day. The game basically ended the moment he chased down Tiki Barber on a sweep early in the first quarter.

As for me:

Super Bowl VI- Duane Thomas

Super Bowl XIV- Jack Lambert

Super Bowl XV- Rod Martin (3 picks, still a record)

In some Super Bowls no one person really stood out, like II, IV, V, XVI, XXXVII, XXXIX thru XLII and XLVI

#6 Jeremy Crowhurst
PFRA Member
Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:37 PM
TouchdownTimmy, on 30 Jan 2014 - 12:50 PM, said:
SB 35- Ray Lewis was the best player on the field that day. The game basically ended the moment he chased down Tiki Barber on a sweep early in the first quarter.
I think a bunch of the Ravens have gone on record as saying that the game ended when Kerry Collins lined up under center, looked up, saw the Ravens' defense, and basically crapped in his pants.

It is a shame that they can't give an award to a coach -- I agree there are a bunch where no individual stood out, and the win really was the result of great coaching getting a better team effort than the other guys.

#7 Todd Pence
Forum Visitors
Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:30 PM
Super Bowl III - Matt Snell instead of Joe Namath

Super Bowl V - Mike Curtis instead of Chuck Howley

Super Bowl XII - Aaron Kyle and Randy Hughes instead of Harvey Martin and Randy White

#8 Rupert Patrick
PFRA Member
Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:51 PM
Super Bowl XXV - Even though the Bills lost, I think Thurman Thomas should have been the MVP. The ironic part is that if Norwood had nailed the FG, he probably would have been the MVP>

#9 conace21
Forum Visitors
Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:12 PM
I think both Duane and Thurman Thomas would have been worthy MVP's. I guess Sport Magazine refused to give Duane the award because they were afraid not what he might say...or not say.

Dr. Z lobbied for Thurman. He wrote that his fellow media members were muttering that you couldn't vote for a member of the losing tean. Z screamed to remember Chuck Howley...and apparently the next year he was no longer a voter

#10 Teo
PFRA Member
Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:11 PM
At the time I was surprised that Jerry Rice beat Joe Montana for MVP of Super Bowl XXIII; in yesterday's "A Football Life" episode about Rice, he said that he felt that Joe had been the MVP and not him, since all attention from the press was for Montana.

#11 Teo
PFRA Member
Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:14 PM
For Super Bowl XI, I would chose Art Shell and Gene Upshaw as co-MVP (it's about time that an offensive lineman wins it).

#12 Bob Gill
PFRA Member
Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:43 PM
I don't remember where I read this, but I'm under the impression that Thurman Thomas did win the balloting for the MVP that year, but when the Giants came back to win, they took another vote and Ottis Anderson won. Since I don't remember where that story came from, I can't vouch for it completely, though.

#13 oldecapecod2
PFRA Member
Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:51 PM
I believe that comment was made in the broadcast booth?

#14 rhickok1109
PFRA Member
Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:53 PM
conace21, on 30 Jan 2014 - 7:12 PM, said:
Dr. Z lobbied for Thurman. He wrote that his fellow media members were muttering that you couldn't vote for a member of the losing tean. Z screamed to remember Chuck Howley...and apparently the next year he was no longer a voter
Yeah, it's absurd that a player doesn't get the MVP award because his team's kicker barely a missed a field goal that would have won the game.

#15 Teo
PFRA Member
Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:51 PM
Did anyone thnks that Timmy Smith should had a share of Super Bowl XXII MVP with Doug Williams?

#16 JWL
PFRA Member
Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:10 PM
Teo, on 30 Jan 2014 - 9:51 PM, said:
Did anyone thnks that Timmy Smith should had a share of Super Bowl XXII MVP with Doug Williams?
I thought Smith should have won. I remember saying this to my father in the 4th quarter.

#17 conace21
Forum Visitors
Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:45 PM
Bob Gill, on 30 Jan 2014 - 8:43 PM, said:
I don't remember where I read this, but I'm under the impression that Thurman Thomas did win the balloting for the MVP that year, but when the Giants came back to win, they took another vote and Ottis Anderson won. Since I don't remember where that story came from, I can't vouch for it completely, though.

Hmm. The only thing that doesn't make sense about that story is the Giants "came back" with about 9 minutes left in the 4th quarter. It wasn't a last minute comeback like against the Patriots. That means that the voters would have held the ballot and voted Thurman the MVP award early in the 4th quarter. That seems awfully early to take a vote in a back and forth game. They might have had to hold two more ballots if the Bills had scored on the very next possession, and NY had scored on the one after that.

#18 26554
Forum Visitors
Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:19 AM
conace21, on 30 Jan 2014 - 7:12 PM, said:
I think both Duane and Thurman Thomas would have been worthy MVP's. I guess Sport Magazine refused to give Duane the award because they were afraid not what he might say...or not say.

Z's choices differed in a few other cases. These are the ones I remember from the book Dr. Z's Great Moments in Super Bowl History -

Super Bowl I: McGee instead of Starr
Super Bowl VI: Thomas instead of Staubach
Super Bowl VII: Fernandez instead of Scott
Super Bowl IX: Greenwood instead of Harris
Super Bowl XIV: Stallworth instead of Bradshaw
Super Bowl XV: Martin instead of Plunkett
Super Bowl XVIII: Kinlaw instead of Allen

Super Bowl XIV is kind of a tough one. Bradshaw, who said afterward that he had came into the game drained and tired, was on the money on the TD to Swann. And even though Rod Perry should've had help from Eddie Brown, the TD to Stallworth was as perfect a throw as you'll see. But their were periods in the game where Bradshaw simply didn't play well, throwing 3 interceptions (and nearly a fourth to Nolan Cromwell that would've been a pick six) and hanging Swann out to dry on a late throw over the middle that resulted in Swann being knocked out of the game with a concussion by Pat Thomas. Stallworth's second big play was as good a catch as Bradshaw's throw was on the aforementioned TD.

Z was another who felt that, as great as Allen was, the Raider defense was the main story of SB XVIII. However, instead of Hayes and Haynes he went with Kinlaw. His feeling was that Kinlaw's control over Jeff Bostic was the key to the D shutting down the Redskins' vaunted running game and getting the pressure they did on Theismann. Conace, Z agreed with you on Allen's TD run. He basically said that, electrifying as it was, it was the proverbial 'cherry on top' after the final outcome had already been decided.

A few I'd add -

Super Bowl XLI: Manning had an adequate game, but I'd go with either Addai and Rhodes or the entire Colts' o-line.

Super Bowl XLII: I know that Manning-to-Tyree will always be the first thing that comes to mind for most when they think of this one, but the Giants' d-line was the biggest story. This is another case where you could just give the award to all the starters from the group, but I think Tuck would be the one is you were going to pick a single representative.

Super Bowl XLVI: Eli has a better case in this one, with a stat line of 30-40-296-1-0. That throw to Manningham was another 'perfect as it gets' example. But once again I think the d-line was the bigger overall story. I'd go with Tuck or JPP.

#19 Bryan
Forum Visitors
Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:16 AM
26554, on 31 Jan 2014 - 02:19 AM, said:
Super Bowl XIV is kind of a tough one. Bradshaw, who said afterward that he had came into the game drained and tired, was on the money on the TD to Swann. And even though Rod Perry should've had help from Eddie Brown, the TD to Stallworth was as perfect a throw as you'll see. But their were periods in the game where Bradshaw simply didn't play well, throwing 3 interceptions (and nearly a fourth to Nolan Cromwell that would've been a pick six) and hanging Swann out to dry on a late throw over the middle that resulted in Swann being knocked out of the game with a concussion by Pat Thomas. Stallworth's second big play was as good a catch as Bradshaw's throw was on the aforementioned TD.

I think a point in Bradshaw's favor is that the Steelers running game was completely stymied by the Rams defense all game long. Yet the Steelers moved the ball consistently against the Rams solely on the strength of Bradshaw. I think Bradshaw had a stronger MVP case than Stallworth, despite the 3 INTs.

I remember reading that Dr Z had voted for Duane Thomas and Blaine Nye as the SB VI MVP, yet the award was given to Staubach, who didn't really do much. TBH, Thomas didn't even rush for a 100 yards and Garrison and Hill also had pretty good games, so if ever there was a game where an OL could have won the SB MVP, I think SB VI could have been it.

#20 slats7
Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:13 AM
Pawn Stars needs better fact checkers.

Page 1 of 2
oldecapecod 11

SB MVP's that could/should have been
Started by Chrisskreager, Jan 30 2014 02:26 AM

Page 2 of 2

22 replies to this topic

#21 MichaelPeters
Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:26 AM
I've always believed (because I read it somewhere I assume) that Duane Thomas actually won the vote, but the network or league forced it to be Staubach due to Thomas' vow of silence. Probably not exactly correct, but I've thought that for years.

Flacco played a great game, but I thought Jacoby Jones had a strong case last year.

Terrell Davis and Rod Smith in SB 33 had a stronger case than Elway, in my opinion.

Reggie White, perhaps, in SB 31 over Howard and/or Favre

I'm not picking on the Mannings, but I think Addai was far more deserving in SB 41 and Justin Tuck not winning in SB 42 was stunning.

#22 Reaser
PFRA Member
Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:34 AM
MichaelPeters, on 01 Feb 2014 - 03:26 AM, said:
I've always believed (because I read it somewhere I assume) that Duane Thomas actually won the vote, but the network or league forced it to be Staubach due to Thomas' vow of silence. Probably not exactly correct, but I've thought that for years.
I've always been of the understanding that he was voted MVP but SPORT Magazine didn't think he'd show up to their award ceremony so they switched it to Staubach.

#23 97Den98
Forum Visitors
Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:40 PM
Last night, Kam Chancellor should have won MVP, not Malcolm Smith. You could also make a case for Percy Harvin as well.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
conace21

Re: ARCHIVE SB MVP's that could/should have been Started by

Post by conace21 »

In Super Bowl XVI, Montana won the MVP award despite throwing for just 157 yards, one TD pass and one TD run. He basically just had three long drives in the first half, leading to a 17-0 lead, and a 22 yard pass in the 4th quarter while up 20-14. That was about it. I can't think of another worthy candidate from the 49ers offense. Npbody really stood out on defense. The goal line stand illustrates that. It wasn't just one 49er defender who stopped Pete Johnson on 4th and 1. It was a mass of humanity. Keena Turner and Hacksaw Reynolds are candidates. I guess Eric Wright may be as good a choice as any. He made a huge play in stripping Cris Collinsworth of the ball on the 8 uard line. Later, with the 49ers up 23-14 with less than 6 minutes to go, Wright essentially clinched the game with an interception. The 49ers ran the clock down to two minutes and kickedca FG. The Bengals drove for a TD, but there were only 25 seconds or so remaining.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

MVPs that should have been... and these are games that I remember thinking immediately after the game that these guys should have won it.

XXV: Thurman Thomas
XXXV: Kyle Richardson (yes you read that right)
XXXVII: Simeon Rice (I think he got screwed because I believe they had the voting BEFORE his 2nd interception)
XLII: Justin Tuck
conace21

Post by conace21 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:MVPs that should have been... and these are games that I remember thinking immediately after the game that these guys should have won it.
XXXVII: Simeon Rice (I think he got screwed because I believe they had the voting BEFORE his 2nd interception)
I agree that Rice would have been a worthy MVP choice, as he was constantly harassing Gannon. I'm a little confused by why you think he was screwed....Rice didn't have any interceptions in the game. MVP Dexter Jackson had two in the first half, but there's no way the MVP vote took place that early. Do you mean Dwight Smith got screwed? Smith had two INT returns for TD's; the second took place in the final seconds, so it is very likely the vote had taken place by then.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Do you mean Dwight Smith got screwed? Smith had two INT returns for TD's; the second took place in the final seconds, so it is very likely the vote had taken place by then.
yep! My bad. oops! I definitely remember at the time that Smith should have been MVP. I had Rice on my mind because someone mentioned him in regards to that game further up in the thread.

I know that these days it seems like they have the MVP vote far before the game ends. Halfway through the 4th quarter? 5:00 left? ...or something like that.