Taxi Squads

mtpatton

Taxi Squads

Post by mtpatton »

UPDATE: To the best of my knowledge, practice squads (aka taxi squads) originated with Paul Brown in 1946. PFA provides practice squad limits starting only in 1989. So does anyone know about the limits prior to 1989?

Anyone know the history of year-by-year taxi squad limits?
Last edited by mtpatton on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TodMaher

Re: Taxi Squads

Post by TodMaher »

mtpatton wrote:Anyone know the history of year-by-year taxi squad limits?
https://www.profootballarchives.com/nfl ... imits.html
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Tod, I'm glad to see the Archives are operational-- one of my favorite sites, and kudos and thanks to you for all the work you've done on building it.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

mtpatton wrote:UPDATE: To the best of my knowledge, practice squads (aka taxi squads) originated with Paul Brown in 1946.
Prior to 1965 in the NFL taxi squads were "under the table" affairs. They were not officially recognized by the NFL and (and I'm 99% sure the AAFC).

Also the taxi squads players of 1965-72 were not allowed to sign with any other teams - unlike today's practice squad players who are free agents.

I still haven't discovered when AFL officialy made their taxis squads legal.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Mark L. Ford wrote:Tod, I'm glad to see the Archives are operational-- one of my favorite sites, and kudos and thanks to you for all the work you've done on building it.
Thank you.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

TodMaher: I did not know that the Pro Football Archives was your website. I have enjoyed it and refer to it often.