Active Rosters

mtpatton

Active Rosters

Post by mtpatton »

At what point do Active Roster limits switch from in-season limits to off-season limits?
TodMaher

Re: Active Rosters

Post by TodMaher »

mtpatton wrote:At what point do Active Roster limits switch from in-season limits to off-season limits?
There is no "off-season Active Roster limit." You can only have 90 players under contract at anytime (this includes all the various reserve lists) - in-season or off-season.
mtpatton

Post by mtpatton »

Tod, thanks again. Allow me to rephrase the question. I was referring to earlier seasons, when there were a number of roster cutdowns leading to the final active roster limit. For example, and using the info from Tod's site, in 1971 active rosters were cut to 60 on 8/5, then 49 on 8/30, 44 on 9/6, then finally 40 on 9/13. My question is, for those years past, when did the limit reset? At what point after the 1971 season could a team again have more than 40 on the active roster before cutdowns began again. The first OTA? The start of training camp? Some other time?
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

mtpatton wrote:Tod, thanks again. Allow me to rephrase the question. I was referring to earlier seasons, when there were a number of roster cutdowns leading to the final active roster limit. For example, and using the info from Tod's site, in 1971 active rosters were cut to 60 on 8/5, then 49 on 8/30, 44 on 9/6, then finally 40 on 9/13. My question is, for those years past, when did the limit reset? At what point after the 1971 season could a team again have more than 40 on the active roster before cutdowns began again. The first OTA? The start of training camp? Some other time?
I thinks it has always been the day after the league championship/Super Bowl. The current theoretical limit is 90 - if a team has no one on any of the reserve lists.