Tom Brady & Mt. Rushmore of QB's

James

Post by James »

A few years back when we did Mt. Rushmore by position, the one for QB's, the consensus was Baugh, Graham, Unitas, Montana. With Brady going to his 9th Super Bowl - very impressive - but Graham went to 10 straight Title Games - and Brady still playing at a high level for an old guy, would Brady now be on any of you fellas Mt. Rushmore of QB's? If so, which QB comes off yours?

Mine are now - Graham, Unitas, Montana, & Brady

This is just for fun.

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
JohnTurney

Re: Tom Brady & Mt. Rushmore of QB's

Post by JohnTurney »

mine are same.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JohnTurney wrote:mine are same.
Ditto, and it is interesting in that their careers do not overlap and cover all seasons from 1946 to 2018 except for 1974-78 and 95-99.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
James

Post by James »

I was thinking the same John, but then, I don't know, just thinking that Brady has been doing it year after year, so I took out Baugh. I'm NOT a Patriots fan at all, but damn, it seems year after year he finds a way and gets it done. Though all this Greatest of All Time bullshit hype you hear on T.V. is just that. To me, the Greatest of All Time was Otto Graham, but that's just me and everyone has their own Greatest of All Time QB and there is nothing wrong with that.

Curious John and everyone one else, I've always wondered why Baugh and not Luckman on the "original" Mt. Rushmore of QB's?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I'm ALSO Graham, Unitas, Montana, Brady (with the opinion that Joe is still better than Tom).

But if enough of you twist my arm enough, further educate me, I may (or still may not) be lured into replacing Bart Starr with one of those four.
James

Post by James »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I'm ALSO Graham, Unitas, Montana, Brady (with the opinion that Joe is still better than Tom).

But if enough of you twist my arm enough, further educate me, I may (or still may not) be lured into replacing Bart Starr with one of those four.
Also agree Montana is better than Brady as is Graham.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

James wrote:
I'm NOT a Patriots fan at all, but damn, it seems year after year he finds a way and gets it done. Though all this Greatest of All Time bullshit hype you hear on T.V. is just that. To me, the Greatest of All Time was Otto Graham, but that's just me and everyone has their own Greatest of All Time QB and there is nothing wrong with that.
I'm not a Pats or Brady fan either, but I have to respect the fact that in 17 years as the Patriots starter (leaving out 2008), they have won the division 16 times with Brady at the helm. Other than his rookie year, his worst TD-INT ratio was in 2003 when it was 23-12, Graham had an 9-3 record in the postseason, Brady is 29-10. In my manuscript, which I am doing revisions on to incorporate the 2018 season into and to add coding and some punter data, I have something I call the QB Time Machine, which you can use to roughly translate how Sammy Baugh's career stats might look had his career began in 1972, or how Brett Favre's career stats might look had his rookie season had been 1950. It's a version 1.0, meaning once I put it out there, people who understand career projections much better than me will assist me to refine it to make it more accurate. Anyway. I ran it on Graham's career, had his career began in the year 2001 and he played ten seasons, until 2010 as Graham's career ran ten seasons. I came up with career projections of 71 percent career completion percentage, which we know is way too high, nine yards per attempt, but with 220 career TD's and 90 career INT's. Graham's predicted TD-INT ratio is similar to Brady's of 261-103 from 2001-2010.

Statistically, Graham and Brady are very similar. However, Brady has done this in nearly twice as many seasons as Graham has, and Brady has been as successful as Graham in the postseason. Brady has had to win championships in years where he had to win 3 or 4 games where Graham had to win one, maybe two games. I have to give the Devil his due; Tom Brady is the greatest QB in pro football history.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JWL

Post by JWL »

The real Mount Rushmore will never change. I think once you decide on your personal Mount Rushmore for something, then, boom, that is was it is. You have to pretend it like the real Mount Rushmore.
James

Post by James »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
James wrote:
I'm NOT a Patriots fan at all, but damn, it seems year after year he finds a way and gets it done. Though all this Greatest of All Time bullshit hype you hear on T.V. is just that. To me, the Greatest of All Time was Otto Graham, but that's just me and everyone has their own Greatest of All Time QB and there is nothing wrong with that.
I'm not a Pats or Brady fan either, but I have to respect the fact that in 17 years as the Patriots starter (leaving out 2008), they have won the division 16 times with Brady at the helm. Other than his rookie year, his worst TD-INT ratio was in 2003 when it was 23-12, Graham had an 9-3 record in the postseason, Brady is 29-10. In my manuscript, which I am doing revisions on to incorporate the 2018 season into and to add coding and some punter data, I have something I call the QB Time Machine, which you can use to roughly translate how Sammy Baugh's career stats might look had his career began in 1972, or how Brett Favre's career stats might look had his rookie season had been 1950. It's a version 1.0, meaning once I put it out there, people who understand career projections much better than me will assist me to refine it to make it more accurate. Anyway. I ran it on Graham's career, had his career began in the year 2001 and he played ten seasons, until 2010 as Graham's career ran ten seasons. I came up with career projections of 71 percent career completion percentage, which we know is way too high, nine yards per attempt, but with 220 career TD's and 90 career INT's. Graham's predicted TD-INT ratio is similar to Brady's of 261-103 from 2001-2010.

Statistically, Graham and Brady are very similar. However, Brady has done this in nearly twice as many seasons as Graham has, and Brady has been as successful as Graham in the postseason. Brady has had to win championships in years where he had to win 3 or 4 games where Graham had to win one, maybe two games. I have to give the Devil his due; Tom Brady is the greatest QB in pro football history.
Damn, what a fantastic post, Rupert. Math and numbers were NEVER my strong suit, still aren't, but damn, I am totally fascinated by your QB Time Machine. Curious as to how Sid Luckman is on your QB Tme Machine some day.
James

Post by James »

JWL wrote:The real Mount Rushmore will never change. I think once you decide on your personal Mount Rushmore for something, then, boom, that is was it is. You have to pretend it like the real Mount Rushmore.
You are absolutely right, as originally Baugh, Graham, Unitas, Montana, but I cannot overlook Brady and what he's done accomplished season after season that's why reluctantly I decided to drop Baugh and have it Graham, Unitas, Montana, Brady which this version, with me, will be the one I have till he day I die.