Hope this doesn't sound like a rant ...

sheajets

Re: Hope this doesn't sound like a rant ...

Post by sheajets »

Reaser wrote:Worth noting that Drew Brees set a pretty significant record last night and there's not one post about here, at the PFRA, where there's plenty of people who love stats, records, history, etc.

To me, that sums up where football is at.

The play it came on was even perfect in summing up the era, itself.
Yea. I mean it's not nothing and I'm happy for the guy, but when you've done what the league has in the past decade or so this kind of stuff really isn't even enough to get me to even tune in or acknowledge it as history that I absolutely must see transpire

Kind of reminds me of the NHL in the 1980's when is just because so overwhelmingly wide open right around 1985-1986. Somebody scoring 30 goals was no longer special.

No end in sight for the NFL. They want that 6,000 yard passer
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Mean Joe Greene says he couldn’t play in today’s NFL. https://www.forbes.com/sites/terencemoo ... odern-nfl/
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The bump in this thread brought back something that’s been swirling around in my mind for awhile now. I believe the liberalized rules on intentional grounding are probably the main reason we’re seeing ridiculously low interceptions thrown totals. When was the rule changed? 15 years ago or so? Before that, a QB facing an oncoming pass rush wanting to get rid of the ball had to get it in the direction of an eligible receiver. If there were defenders in the area, obviously some of these passes were going to be picked off. Now they can just chuck it into the stands once they get out of the tackle box if they’re under pressure.

I’ve said it before, we’re going to see a zero interception season from a QB one of these years.
JWL

Post by JWL »

^ I am not a big intentional grounding fan. Obviously, it is a good punishment when called, but there is legal intentional grounding. That is what has helped to bring interception numbers down. Keeping things very general, the interception is probably my favorite type of action in a football game so seeing less of them is not fun for me.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Maybe if the NFL didn't try to micro-manage every aspect of everything, they could just play the games. What a concept!
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

BD Sullivan wrote:Maybe if the NFL didn't try to micro-manage every aspect of everything, they could just play the games. What a concept!
This!
RyanChristiansen

The New York Post has a lengthy article on the offensive explosion.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/28/insiders- ... explosion/
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

RyanChristiansen wrote:Mean Joe Greene says he couldn’t play in today’s NFL. https://www.forbes.com/sites/terencemoo ... odern-nfl/
I think if someone shows him Kalil Macks salary, he'd change his mind. ;)
RyanChristiansen

Sonny9 wrote:
RyanChristiansen wrote:Mean Joe Greene says he couldn’t play in today’s NFL. https://www.forbes.com/sites/terencemoo ... odern-nfl/
No, his point is that his style of play wouldn’t be allowed. He was effective because of how he was allowed to play.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

RyanChristiansen wrote:
Sonny9 wrote:
No, his point is that his style of play wouldn’t be allowed. He was effective because of how he was allowed to play.
lol I understood his point. For that kind of money he'd change his style of play. Who wouldn't?