"Name the Game" trivia

74_75_78_79_

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:correct! I thought this would be an easy one. But I tried to come up with one before the search feature on p-f-r, which I believe starts in 1950.
I thought it was a pretty tough one. Here’s one, perhaps not as tough...

Both teams went into this game with the same record. The losing team were defending-Champs, the two TDs they scored were running plays run in by the same player at 1-yard apiece. The three TDs scored by the winning team were all pass plays, the QB (league passing leader that season) who threw each of them would experience his very first post-season as a starter two years later. The only other playoff game he was in previously in his career, he didn’t see action (a HOFer was the starting QB instead).
I've got this one. My first thought was that the QB in question would be Danny White, who would have been on playoff teams with HOFer Staubach, and knowing your affinity for the 1978-81 period. :) But then I realized that he never would have led the league in any passing stat.

49ers 27, Packers 20
12/1/68
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 010sfo.htm

Both teams were 5-5-1. Jim Grabowski had two 1 yard TDs for the Packers. John Brodie (former teammate of Tittle) threw 3 TD passes. One of which went to one year wonder Clifton McNeil.
Correct!
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

A future HOF QB did not play

One of pro football's all time scoring leaders kicks 6 FG's

It was the last time these teams played in the stadium the game was played for a decade

A player on the winning team had his only career 100 yard rushing game
conace21

Post by conace21 »

CSKreager wrote:A future HOF QB did not play

One of pro football's all time scoring leaders kicks 6 FG's

It was the last time these teams played in the stadium the game was played for a decade

A player on the winning team had his only career 100 yard rushing game
Denver at Pittsburgh in 1988. John Elway didn't play, Gary Anderson kicked 6 field goals, and Rodney Carter had his only career 100 yard game. Denver didn't play at Three Rivers again until 1997.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

- A running back for the winning team would have the only 200 yard game of his career.
- The winning team had yet another RB who went over 100 yards.
- The losing team’s kicker played for the winning team later in his career.
- The number of points scored by the losing team would be one of seven games they scored this exact amount during this season.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:- A running back for the winning team would have the only 200 yard game of his career.
- The number of points scored by the losing team would be one of seven games they scored this exact amount during this season.
November 26, 1978

Giants at Bills

Buffalo won, 41-17

-Terry Miller ran for 208 yards, the only 200+ yard rushing game of his career.
-Roland Hooks ran for 115 yards on 12 carries for the Bills.
-Joe Danelo, Giants kicker, played for Buffalo from 1983-1984, the final two years of his career.
-The Giants scored 17 points seven times during the 1978 season (Weeks 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15).
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

sluggermatt15 wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:- A running back for the winning team would have the only 200 yard game of his career.
November 26, 1978

Giants at Bills

Buffalo won, 41-17

-Terry Miller ran for 208 yards, the only 200+ yard rushing game of his career.
-Roland Hooks ran for 115 yards on 12 carries for the Bills.
-Joe Danelo, Giants kicker, played for Buffalo from 1983-1984, the final two years of his career.
-The Giants scored 17 points seven times during the 1978 season (Weeks 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15).
Correct!
I just stumbled upon the factoid of the Giants scoring exactly 17 that many times and wanted to work that into a Name The Game.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Here's another...

This game ended in a tie along with both teams still having the same record as each other afterward. The home team would end up making the playoffs while the away team would lose the rest of their games that season but...win their division the following year. Four TDs were scored by the home team - two of them running plays, each one run in by the same player; two of them pass plays, each caught by the same player. Four TD's were also scored by the road team, 3 of them scored by a future-NFL-announcer.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

This...
Four TDs were scored by the home team - two of them running plays, each one run in by the same player; two of them pass plays, each caught by the same player.
...narrowed it down to one of these 7 games...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... by=pass_td

Which gave me this...
Sunday Nov 9, 1969
Oilers 31, Bengals 31
Don Trull, Jim Beirne (who?!), Bob Trumpy. The Bengals won the first AFC Central championship with an 8-6 record the next year.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:This...
Four TDs were scored by the home team - two of them running plays, each one run in by the same player; two of them pass plays, each caught by the same player.
...narrowed it down to one of these 7 games...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... by=pass_td

Which gave me this...
Sunday Nov 9, 1969
Oilers 31, Bengals 31
Don Trull, Jim Beirne (who?!), Bob Trumpy. The Bengals won the first AFC Central championship with an 8-6 record the next year.
Correct!
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Another...

Both teams in this game would end up making the playoffs and would both have the same record after this game. Not only that, but both teams would finish the regular season with the same record and also meet right away in the playoffs - the team winning this particular game would also win the playoff game.

Anyway, back to the regular season affair in question...it would be the losing team's second loss in a row as it would be the winning team's second win in a row. The following week, however, the winning team would lose and the losing team would win - each to a team in their division respectively. The last two scores of this game involved each starting QB running the ball in for a TD - the first of these two TDs run-in by the winning (Hall of Fame) QB, the last of these two run-in by the losing QB.