When did the NFL peak for you?

JuggernautJ

Re: When did the NFL peak for you?

Post by JuggernautJ »

RyanChristiansen wrote:I’m interested to see if the league might institute the CFL rule of keeping the defensive line a full yard off the line of scrimmage to give the quarterback that much more time and to give the offensive line more time to stand up before knocking heads.
As horrific as that sounds it would be a lot simpler and probably more effective than the myriad of rules changes we've had to endure in the attempt to protect the precious and fragile NFL QBs.

In the NFL Sponsored "Air It Out" game (4 on 4 Flag) the pass rusher has to line up 7 yards off the line. It works.
It's not football but it works...
MIKEBENNIDICT

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

I'm 45 and don't see anything wrong with the modern day game.

I think people make a big to do about the little odds and ends like penalty calls.

Expect the referees to let players get away with things?

Why would technolgy have any affect on one's enjoyment of the game? How silly.

One says there are more games on TV now. Well I don't know about that.

In many markets you may get a 12 noon CT game and not get a 3 PM game on that channel.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

MIKEBENNIDICT wrote:I'm 45 and don't see anything wrong with the modern day game.

I think people make a big to do about the little odds and ends like penalty calls.

In many markets you may get a 12 noon CT game and not get a 3 PM game on that channel.
Yeah, I really don't understand the complaint that there are too many games on TV. You'd think somebody was strapping these poor guys into a chair in front of the TV and propping their eyelids open with matchsticks to make them watch.

There's a kind of Yoga Berra thing at work here: "I don't watch football anymore because I watch so much football I'm tired of it." :D
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

MIKEBENNIDICT wrote:
Growing up in New York City during the 1950s we had 7 channels (4 more than
most of the country). We would get one or occasionally 2 college games on
Saturday and if the Giants were not home - one pro game on Sunday. If the Giants were
home we had to listen to them on the radio only. So yes, there are many more on TV now.
No complaints - I still watch only what I want to.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

MIKEBENNIDICT wrote:I'm 45 and don't see anything wrong with the modern day game.

The NFL for me, peaked in the 70s and 80s. Less coverage of events irrelevant to the game itself, and fewer lousy games nationally televised. Technology in football, just like life, has been a double-edged sword. The additional cameras have provided angles we couldn't see before, but replay and challenges have created interruptions which take way too long to resolve. As a TV viewer, these multiple replays seem like I'm watching the Zapruder film.

Also, the NFL Network has been a disappointment. Too many mediocre hosts, and not enough NFL Films programming.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
JeffreyMiller wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:I think the NFL officially became oversaturated in the nanosecond the NFL Network started broadcasting. If they are not airing a game or playing an NFL Films program, I am not watching. NFL Films needs its own channel separate from NFL Network.
I agree and would take that one step further backward with the advent of ESPN. Though I think they are great in concept, these networks oversaturate and also have a tendency to place focus on the player rather than the team. The individualism is a problem for me, as I am a fan of the team and feel that is where the emphasis should be.

I agree that if they are not airing a game or an NFL Films program, I don't normally watch the NFL Network. ESPN has become insufferable with the clowns on the pregame show. Too much hype and often too political.
I gave up on pregame shows many years ago. Nowadays I turn the game on five minutes before kickoff and skip all that stuff.
That early? I turn it on exactly at kickoff :)