Thoughts on the 10 min OT period

Reaser

Re: Thoughts on the 10 min OT period

Post by Reaser »

conace21 wrote:I looked at players who would have been in high school or college in the 90's for reactions. Jason Taylor is one. He never played to a tie in college

From the Steelers-Falcons tie in 2002. Most of these players played college football after 1996, but high school football in the early to mid 90's.

"It was strange," Aaron Smith said. "That game seemed like it lasted forever. We were playing and playing and playing. It was an awful feeling. I would have rather lost than have it end in a tie. You want to come away with something. I remember it was an awkward feeling."

Antwan Randle-El
"That's a game I wish I can just forget. To come out with a tie after you put so much time in working is tough. There shouldn't be ties. Let it go on and on. You put four hours into it, the whole week you put effort into it, and it becomes a tie? I was just empty. I remember thinking, 'What do you mean it's over?'

"We didn't win but, we didn't lose,'' Plaxico Burress said. "It's so disappointing. You have this uneasy feeling that you lost, but you know you really didn't.''

Ashley Ambrose said. "When you get through, you're not sure if you're happy or not. It's an empty kind of feeling, because you had an opportunity and a chance to win.''
Pretty sure Randle-El, Burress and Ambrose played in states that had adopted overtime before they were in HS?

I know Texas stayed with ties for a long time, most states eliminated ties/adopted OT sometime between mid-70's to late-80's, with only a couple stragglers into the 90's. I know in WA we had OT going back to when the state playoffs were created (think Illinois has a similar history, starting OT when the state playoffs started) though JV games in WA could still end in a tie for another decade or so, ha.

Regardless, not just the foreign concept, but competitors, of course no one would be satisfied with a tie (with the context of it being instead of a win) and numerous coaches/players at various levels of football have been quoted as saying "I'd rather lose than tie" (which is rarely a true statement, though some coaches put that into practice) but all those quotes, at least that I've seen, were after at least one level of football had some form of OT so it was known that you can keep playing after four quarters. As each level eliminated ties it became more ingrained that you keep playing until there's a winner.

I wouldn't argue that coaches/players don't want a game to end in a tie, but I would argue it's because it's a foreign concept (such as when coaches/players say ties are un-American) and it became a foreign concept because all levels of football, at one point or another, adopted OT and all but the NFL eliminated the possibility of a tie. In addition to baseball and basketball being more popular here than hockey and soccer. The latter two where ties are/were accepted -- at least until the NHL went full gimmick though most fans I know hate the shootout and would rather have ties.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Week #2 and a second TIE already!! 2018 is off to a good start celebrating the 45th anniversary of the ’73 season!
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

I dissent with the opinions above, I hate tie games and want to do whatever possible to eliminate them.

As a fan, I watch a game to experience the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat. A tie game to me means the game might as well have never been played.

College football with their overtime policy has eliminated tie games since 1995. Although I think there are problems with the college overtime system (it makes it to easy for teams to score, leading to inflated final scores) the fact that they have completely eliminated tie games makes a similar system something to consider.

One way to treat tie games that I've thought about would be to give the game to whichever team has the best W/L pct at the end of the year. For instance, suppose the Packers tie the Bears early in the season. The Packers finish 9-6-1 and the Bears finish 8-7-1. In my proposal, the Packers would earn a 10-6 record and the Bears would finish 8-8.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Week #2 and a second TIE already!! 2018 is off to a good start celebrating the 45th anniversary of the ’73 season!
And it was the first 29-29 game in pro football history. With the tiebreakers, the Sunday Night game on 11/25 (Week 12, Sunday after Thanksgiving) where Minnesota hosts Green Bay will decide who owns the-head-to-head tiebreaker between these teams with regard to the NFC Norris.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

If NFL would ever (re) eliminate regular season OT, you’d have many more tied games with 30 seconds to go in which the team with the ball would be throwing long passes or Hail Marys no matter how deep in their own territory they’d be. No sitting on ball until OT. If a team is down by 7 then scores a TD with seconds to go, they go for the two points! Same with if a team is down by three with one second left on their opponents’ 10-yard-line. No FG! They go for the win! It can be argued that the 2-pt-conversion warrants no OT in the first place.

I’m no Nebraska fan (’94 so still hurts this, here, Penn St-fan although - fair enough - Husker Nation has their gripe over ’82), but I have such respect for Tom Osborne’s decision to go-for-2 in the Orange Bowl (National Championship) vs Schnellenberger’s Canes! If he settles for the tie, his already-#1 Huskers (like a champ in a title fight) still gets the NC (keeps the title)! He still to this day does not regret the decision and neither would I. Just the same, IMO, there should have never been ties allowed in any bowl games to begin with (also see Syracuse/Auburn ’87 season); but that was the rules at the time and respect Osborne for that decision!

If you and your opponent each have only your King and Queen left on the board, and you put the King in check, opponent blocks with his or her Queen a square right in front of that King, you don’t ‘trade’ and call it a (tie) game! You keep moving your King closer to the other King to at least try for a checkmate!

By the way, I HATE the college OT format! Got to have it like the NFL! Normal kickoffs, punts (regular play) and what-not. That format is the equivalent to shoot-outs in hockey! Regular play until a goal is scored, I think!

An interesting thought/hypothetical to throw at you all...when if (and, yes, this is a BIG almost-mathematically impossible hypo) a team would actually finish a regular season 3-1-12? How comfortable would you feel seeding them above...11-5 teams?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

An interesting thought/hypothetical to throw at you all...when if (and, yes, this is a BIG almost-mathematically impossible hypo) a team would actually finish a regular season 3-1-12? How comfortable would you feel seeding them above...11-5 teams?
Since ties are a half win/half loss, this 3-1-12 team would have the "same record" as a 9-7 team.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Just the same, IMO, there should have never been ties allowed in any bowl games to begin with (also see Syracuse/Auburn ’87 season);
Pat Dye faced a lot of criticism for kicking a field goal late in that game, and earned his nickname of "Tie" Dye. Hundreds of irate Syracuse fans sent him neckties. The Orangemen were particularly rankled because in the final seconds of their regular season finale they had put their unbeaten season on the line by going for two and refusing to settle for a tie which would still have technically given them an unbeaten slate.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Todd Pence wrote: One way to treat tie games that I've thought about would be to give the game to whichever team has the best W/L pct at the end of the year. For instance, suppose the Packers tie the Bears early in the season. The Packers finish 9-6-1 and the Bears finish 8-7-1. In my proposal, the Packers would earn a 10-6 record and the Bears would finish 8-8.
Seems that would be unfair to the teams that won 10 games instead of 9. Granted, it would make it easier for everyone to have two columns (W-L) instead of a third column (the "T' in "W-L-T") that almost always has a zero in it.

My personal preference on ties is that the balance (at least when it comes to which team to mention first in the score) should be in favor of the team that forced the tie (in other words, the one that sent the game into overtime or was the last to score in regulation). Yesterday, the Vikings made the comeback in the last quarter and made the tying score in the final minute, so from a semantics point of view, Minnesota tied Green Bay (by denying them the win); Green Bay didn't tie Minnesota, they got tied by Minnesota. Since the Vikings were visitors to Green Bay, it's a moot point, since the result would have been listed as "Minnesota 29, Green Bay 29" anyway.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Mark L. Ford wrote:
Todd Pence wrote: One way to treat tie games that I've thought about would be to give the game to whichever team has the best W/L pct at the end of the year. For instance, suppose the Packers tie the Bears early in the season. The Packers finish 9-6-1 and the Bears finish 8-7-1. In my proposal, the Packers would earn a 10-6 record and the Bears would finish 8-8.
Seems that would be unfair to the teams that won 10 games instead of 9. Granted, it would make it easier for everyone to have two columns (W-L) instead of a third column (the "T' in "W-L-T") that almost always has a zero in it.

My personal preference on ties is that the balance (at least when it comes to which team to mention first in the score) should be in favor of the team that forced the tie (in other words, the one that sent the game into overtime or was the last to score in regulation). Yesterday, the Vikings made the comeback in the last quarter and made the tying score in the final minute, so from a semantics point of view, Minnesota tied Green Bay (by denying them the win); Green Bay didn't tie Minnesota, they got tied by Minnesota. Since the Vikings were visitors to Green Bay, it's a moot point, since the result would have been listed as "Minnesota 29, Green Bay 29" anyway.
I haven't seen any headlines of Minnesota papers, but do they read "VIKINGS BEAT PACK 29-29?"
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Since ties are a half win/half loss, this 3-1-12 team would have the "same record" as a 9-7 team.
Oh, okay. Wasn’t sure or not if today’s rules were ‘discard all tie games, then go by win%age for the remaining’. I think that is much better for I, for one, wouldn’t be too into a 3-1-12 getting seeded over an 11-5. Yep, such a record should be the same as 9-7.

Had such rules been in effect in ’63, Steelers beating Giants in finale would have only given the ’Burgh (8-3-3; 9.5 wins, 4.5 losses) a 3rd-place finish over StL (9-5-0) while NYG & Clev, both 10-4, would have had themselves a rubberband conference title match the following week while Bears await. This leads to an interesting question...

Given this hypo-scenario, what if Cardinals win finale over Dallas? They, Giants, and Browns each 10-4 as well as splitting with each other! Do Bears have to wait three weeks (as Browns almost had to in ’57)? Would a coin flip decide who would’ve gotten that Eastern Conference ‘bye’?