Thoughts on the 10 min OT period

74_75_78_79_

Thoughts on the 10 min OT period

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

My attitude, across-the-board, for ALL sports is "no OT unless its the playoffs (or college bowl games)." The more ties, the less tie-breakers needed. Simply the nice texture that it adds to the standings. The '63 NFL season as well as the '73 AFC West provide the finest examples to my point given. I love to see an NFL season in which there are teams dotted throughout the standings with 2, 3, or even 4 tie games! However, if there must be OT at all (regular and/or post-season), then may as well make it a full quarter (or period) of OT. Yes, the 10-min OT increases the chance of that very tie (which worked today, obviously), but still. Just wish there was no OT at all until the post-season and that very OT period should be full. But I get it, fans (casual especially) don't want ties even if it's regular season. All about the bottom line!

Thoughts?
ChrisBabcock

Re: Thoughts on the 10 min OT period

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The more ties, the less tie-breakers needed.
This is the exact reason I would be for eliminating regular season OT entirely.

It's an easier pill to swallow if your 10-6 team misses the playoffs because they got beat out by a 10-5-1 team than if they're 10-6 and some other 10-6 team gets in based on an obscure "better net points in conference games" tiebreaker.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
The more ties, the less tie-breakers needed.
This is the exact reason I would be for eliminating regular season OT entirely.

It's an easier pill to swallow if your 10-6 team misses the playoffs because they got beat out by a 10-5-1 team than if they're 10-6 and some other 10-6 team gets in based on an obscure "better net points in conference games" tiebreaker.
Agreed.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I’ve always been a fan of tie games and the variety they bring to the standings. OT is absolutely unnecessary in the regular season but 10 minutes is better than 15 because it increases the chances for tie games.
zachary stephen

Post by zachary stephen »

The policy of Tie Games is just another indication of how little the league is truly concerned about safety.
Adding ten more minutes at a point when players are the most tired clearly exposes them to more injuries.
If the players association would open its eyes, ties could be eliminated with the next CBA.
It would be interesting to see how many injuries occurred during regular season OTs that contributed
to missing the next game or more?
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Never liked regular season OT, think it's completely unnecessary. Agree with pretty much all that's been said above.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Let's move the goal posts back on the goal line. Also play most football games in baseball stadiums.

OT is here to stay.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

zachary stephen wrote:The policy of Tie Games is just another indication of how little the league is truly concerned about safety.
Adding ten more minutes at a point when players are the most tired clearly exposes them to more injuries.
I'm in complete agreement with this - especially in regards to high school and college games.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Jay Z wrote:Let's move the goal posts back on the goal line. Also play most football games in baseball stadiums.

OT is here to stay.
Doesn't mean we have to like it.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Jay Z wrote:Let's move the goal posts back on the goal line. Also play most football games in baseball stadiums.

OT is here to stay.
Amen. I'm sure that there were folks a century ago who felt that allowing the forward pass and having four downs instead of three were bad for the sport.

I'm apparently in the minority, but my opinion is that overtime... and the 2-point conversion... were two of the best rule changes that the NFL ever made. And as to games in other sports ending in a tie, it would be a sadder world indeed if baseball games didn't go into extra innings and basketball games didn't go into five minutes of overtime. Leave "playing to a draw" to chess matches.