"Name the Game" trivia

Gary Najman

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by Gary Najman »

An easy one:

*It was a prime time game.
*Both teams scored three touchdowns each, by one player per team (both players scored at least one touchdown rushing and one receiving).
*Of the two players, one moved to the opposing team the following year; while the other player stayed with the same team for one more year, but didn't scored more touchdowns for that team.
*Both teams missed the playoffs that season.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

*A Monday Night game between two division rivals.
*There were three defensive touchdowns in the game (2 interception returns, 1 fumble return) by three different players (two for one team, one for the other team).
*It was the only career TD for two of the players who scored (who happened to play for the same team).
*The other player (who was a rookie) scored his first career touchdown, and also scored defensive touchdowns in the next two seasons (all three for the same team). He then played four more NFL seasons for other team, but never again scored a touchdown.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

*Neither coach made the HOF, but both won AP or UPI Coach of the Year honors at some point in their careers.
*a HOF player scored a TD in this game.
*a kicker who scored points in multiple Super Bowls scored in this game.
*both QBs had over 300 yards, 3 TDs and 0 INTs.
*the game-winning TD would be scored by a rookie TE, who would play 5 seasons in the NFL and go on to score only 4 more TDs.
9/25/83 - Browns 30, Chargers 24 (OT)
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 250sdg.htm
Coryell, Rutigliano *
Matt Bahr
Sipe, Fouts
Harry Holt (never heard of him before now)

* I think I vaguely remember Sam Rutigliano being considered for a Bills coaching vacancy in the mid-1980s. Jeffrey Miller, conace, or can anyone confirm or deny this?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
*Neither coach made the HOF, but both won AP or UPI Coach of the Year honors at some point in their careers.
*the game-winning TD would be scored by a rookie TE, who would play 5 seasons in the NFL and go on to score only 4 more TDs.
Coryell, Rutigliano *
Matt Bahr
Sipe, Fouts

* I think I vaguely remember Sam Rutigliano being considered for a Bills coaching vacancy in the mid-1980s. Jeffrey Miller, conace, or can anyone confirm or deny this?
Correct!

I found a crack reporting job from the Akron Beacon Journal in 1984...

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/12/17 ... 472107600/
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Teo wrote:An easy one:

*Both teams scored three touchdowns each, by one player per team (both players scored at least one touchdown rushing and one receiving).
*Of the two players, one moved to the opposing team the following year; while the other player stayed with the same team for one more year, but didn't scored more touchdowns for that team.

This was the 1982 Thursday night game between the Rams and 49ers. Wendell Tyler had the hat trick for the Rams. The 49er who had three TDs was Jeff Moore.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Teo wrote:*A Monday Night game between two division rivals.
*There were three defensive touchdowns in the game (2 interception returns, 1 fumble return) by three different players (two for one team, one for the other team).
*It was the only career TD for two of the players who scored (who happened to play for the same team).
*The other player (who was a rookie) scored his first career touchdown, and also scored defensive touchdowns in the next two seasons (all three for the same team). He then played four more NFL seasons for other team, but never again scored a touchdown.
And . . . got this one. It was the 2012 game betweeen the Broncos and Chargers. Quentin Jammer, Tony Carter and Chris Harris were the players involved.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

And now I've got one . . .

The two starting quarterbacks each had Super Bowl rings, both earned with different teams.

The winning team's quarterback had formerly played for the losing team.

A backup QB for the winning team saw action, who would in later years play for the losing team.

A player had a hat trick for the winning team, scoring three touchdowns. This player had also been a member of the Super Bowl winning squad of the losing team's QB.

The winning team's second to last TD was scored by a player who would finish with over 100 TDs in his career.

For the player who scored the winning team's last TD, it would be the only one of his career.

The only TD scored by the losing team was by a player who would later play for the winning team.

Finally, the losing team's coach had formerly coached the winning team! (are you keeping all this straight)?
Last edited by Todd Pence on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Todd Pence wrote:
Teo wrote:*A Monday Night game between two division rivals.
And . . . got this one. It was the 2012 game betweeen the Broncos and Chargers. Quentin Jammer, Tony Carter and Chris Harris were the players involved.
Ooops! I had another game in mind: Pittsburgh at Cincinnati in 1983. The Steelers players who scored were Rick Woods (fumble) and Harvey Clayton (interception). The Bengals player was Jeff Griffin, who scored on a interception return for TD, and as I said, had two more in 1984 and 1985. in 1986 he went to the Lions and never again returned an interception for a TD in his four seasons in Detroit.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 100cin.htm
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Todd Pence wrote:
Teo wrote:An easy one:

This was the 1982 Thursday night game between the Rams and 49ers. Wendell Tyler had the hat trick for the Rams. The 49er who had three TDs was Jeff Moore.
Correct! Tyler TD catch by the NFL Films ground camera is one of my all-time favorite shots.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:
Coryell, Rutigliano *
Matt Bahr
Sipe, Fouts

Correct!

I found a crack reporting job from the Akron Beacon Journal in 1984...

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/12/17 ... 472107600/
Interestingly, Holt played with the British Columbia Lions for five seasons from 1978-1982, and had been a CFL All-Star in 1980.