Favorite CFL uniforms

Bryan

Re: Favorite CFL uniforms

Post by Bryan »

JohnH19 wrote:Winnipeg has almost always had great uniforms but the B.C. Lions of the 60s had my favorite unis in CFL history; a beautiful combination of black, orange and white with a Lion's paw on the helmet. Joe Kapp wore that uniform when he led the Lions to the 1963 and 64 Grey Cup games against mighty Hamilton. The Lions lost the first game 21-10 but won the rematch 34-24.

Here's a pretty good ranking of historical CFL uniforms:
https://www.cfl.ca/2012/05/17/mullin-th ... -all-time/
Interesting article on the rankings. I liked the BC Lions uniforms the best as well. I think having black as the main color is what makes that uniform.

In looking up some of these old CFL uniforms on the internet, I stumbled across a photo of a CFL player named Jim Young:

I found a few more bizarre photos of him, which piqued my interest...

The guy looks like Peter Noone if Peter Noone played football, but Jim Young was apparently athletic enough to be one of the greatest RB/WRs in CFL history. I found a 'highlight video' of him, but even then it just shows him throwing a few cut blocks (which is almost more bizarre than the photo collection).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkS6YJCUp4w

Do any of the CFL guys on this forum remember Jim Young? I found out that he spent two years riding the bench with the Minnesota Vikings in the mid-60's before starting in the CFL, but I couldn't find anything about how/why he was good and what type of RB/WR he was.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Sask always looked like an Eagles/Jets mash up to me.

Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Looking at an old pic of Russ Jackson a while back, I like those old Ottawa Rough Rider unis. Big 'R' on the helmet along with the big numbers in front and back. Seeing a pic of him coaching the Argos, I like that 'A' on their helmets as well. Past and present, CFL has real good unis overall.
This photo of Russ Jackson gives a glimpse of the short-lived "R/R" red & white helmet decal that Ottawa used for the first few games of 1964. They made the switch to the "R" logo later in the season and stayed with that through 1991.
Russ-Jackson-Ottawa-Rough-Riders-1964-20.jpg
Russ-Jackson-Ottawa-Rough-Riders-1964-20.jpg (180.41 KiB) Viewed 13493 times
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

These decals from 1972 capture my favorite era of CFL helmets:
s-l400 (49).jpg
s-l400 (49).jpg (49.38 KiB) Viewed 13492 times
s-l400 (51).jpg
s-l400 (51).jpg (30.13 KiB) Viewed 13492 times
s-l400 (50).jpg
s-l400 (50).jpg (43.83 KiB) Viewed 13492 times
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Bryan wrote: Do any of the CFL guys on this forum remember Jim Young? I found out that he spent two years riding the bench with the Minnesota Vikings in the mid-60's before starting in the CFL, but I couldn't find anything about how/why he was good and what type of RB/WR he was.
Jim Young, also known as "Dirty Thirty", probably due to some of the cut blocks you saw on YouTube, was a terrific player on a lot of bad BC Lions teams. He was twice voted the CFL's Outstanding Canadian Player and is a member of the Canadian Football HOF. He remains one of the best loved of all BC Lions players. He was solidly built at 6'0" 205 but he was fast enough to pull away from defenders and strong enough to break tackles.

He lined up in the backfield early in his career but never carried the ball more than 46 times. He was always used more as a receiver. I seem to remember that he played mostly in the slot before moving to WR. He caught 522 balls for 9,248 yards and 65 TDs in his 13 year career. Those are fantastic numbers considering the era and that he mostly played with mediocre QBs. I was surprised to learn that he was only a Western Conference all-star twice and a league all-star once but that doesn't diminish what a truly great player he was.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

:cry:
Bryan wrote: Do any of the CFL guys on this forum remember Jim Young? I found out that he spent two years riding the bench with the Minnesota Vikings in the mid-60's before starting in the CFL, but I couldn't find anything about how/why he was good and what type of RB/WR he was.
Jim Young was mentioned a few times in a "CFL's Dirtiest Players of All Time" thread on riderfans.com last July. Former Saskatchewan Linebacker Wayne Shaw (1961-1972) occasionally contributes some interesting perspectives from his playing days. He had this tidbit about Jim Young:

"Jim Young had a reputation of playing dirty and deserved the well known nickname during his time of Dirty 30. He blindsided me from the side or back one time and broke my nose with his forearm or fist. It was the only time I remember wanting to fight during my 12 years of pro football, but I had blood all over my face & eyes so had to go off & get cleaned up. Sometime later in the same game Bob Kosid or Ted Duchinski intercepted a pass behind me and I looked downfield and to my great pleasure there was Dirty 30. I used all the skills I learned playing 1 year of offensive tackle for Hilltops and I gave Young a perfect block which knocked him right down. That didn't seem to be quite enough punishment for my broken nose so while he was getting up I gave hime a really good "ATch or knee to the nuts" and down he went again. A Ref was standing there with a flag in his hand ready to throw it and I hollered at him " Where the hell were you when Young dirty 30 broke my nose? He looked at my face and helmut covered with blood and put the flag back in his pocket. I don't ever remember Young trying any dirty plays on me after that and many years later after we both had been retired for years we had a few laughs about it at some sports dinner. Eagle Keys came up to me after watching the game film and asked me why I beat Jim Young up so bad, Eagles old friend & teammate Jackie Parker was the GM of the Lions at the time and was concerned about Young. I answered Eagle and told him Young had broke my nose with a blindside hit. Eagle didn't say another word he understood & just walked away."

A couple other random comments from that thread:

"Part of Young's dirtiness was calculated. He loved nothing better than to cuff an unsuspecting defender upside the head as he was trotting back to the huddle. He wanted the defenders to be more worried about getting even than covering him."

"My grandfather on my mother's side used to talk about Dirty 30. He knew a ref who reffed his games and said that Young would try to hurt the refs by stepping on their foot. Maybe this factored into the non-penalty."

http://www.riderfans.com/forum/forum/ma ... f-all-time

Jim Young's autobiography (1974)
md60090326.jpg
md60090326.jpg (32.15 KiB) Viewed 13418 times
1972 B.C. Lions CFL Illustrated Magazine/YB
s-l400 (54).jpg
s-l400 (54).jpg (31.31 KiB) Viewed 13414 times
Jim Young - Minnesota Vikings 1965/1966
image_1075.jpg
image_1075.jpg (76.42 KiB) Viewed 13414 times
Last edited by Retro Rider on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
argofan87

Post by argofan87 »

Jim Young was actually a part of a rare "trade" between NFL and CFL teams. Joe Kapp went the other way.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Thanks to everyone for the Jim Young information.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I'm partial to the Stamps look. Same logo as SMU.

Vikings press photo obviously shows an innocent & uncorrupted Young before exposure to west coast BC pot scene.
JWL

Post by JWL »

The one seen above from a Lions magazine is my favorite presented thus far in this thread