Arena Bowl

Reaser

Arena Bowl

Post by Reaser »

Obviously arena football is far from the glory days of Hunkie Cooper, Barry Wagner, Stevie Thomas and Zubaz, but it's pretty bad when a team that went 2-10 in the regular season AND lost their first playoff game just won the Arena Bowl.

Congrats to the Washington Valor, I guess.
74_75_78_79_

Re: Arena Bowl

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

So beyond-sick! Just four teams now and all four make playoffs?? Even with three of the teams finishing with winning records (8-4, 7-5, and 7-5 respectively) and Wash finishing...2-10?? And a two-game aggregate score for the semifinal round?? Is this fantasy football? This playoff-qualifying set-up makes the CFL look like pre-1969 MLB!

If “every team” makes it, they’d be better off making the entire season a septuple-elimination tournament.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:So beyond-sick! Just four teams now and all four make playoffs?? Even with three of the teams finishing with winning records (8-4, 7-5, and 7-5 respectively) and Wash finishing...2-10?? And a two-game aggregate score for the semifinal round?? Is this fantasy football? This playoff-qualifying set-up makes the CFL look like pre-1969 MLB!

If “every team” makes it, they’d be better off making the entire season a septuple-elimination tournament.
It's ridiculous. At one point they were 1-10, after the first playoff game they were 2-11, counting all games they finished 4-11 meaning they won 4 of 15 games and that was enough to be called champion.

They also had a losing record against EVERY other team in the league.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

Reaser wrote:Obviously arena football is far from the glory days of Hunkie Cooper, Barry Wagner, Stevie Thomas and Zubaz, but it's pretty bad when a team that went 2-10 in the regular season AND lost their first playoff game just won the Arena Bowl.

Congrats to the Washington Valor, I guess.

The Arena League is a good example of mismanagement, because the game experience itself is fun. From too much expansion, to marketing failures, it's been a missed opportunity.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Reaser wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:So beyond-sick! Just four teams now and all four make playoffs?? Even with three of the teams finishing with winning records (8-4, 7-5, and 7-5 respectively) and Wash finishing...2-10?? And a two-game aggregate score for the semifinal round?? Is this fantasy football? This playoff-qualifying set-up makes the CFL look like pre-1969 MLB!

It's ridiculous. At one point they were 1-10, after the first playoff game they were 2-11, counting all games they finished 4-11 meaning they won 4 of 15 games and that was enough to be called champion.

They also had a losing record against EVERY other team in the league.
I'm expecting some changes will be made to their postseason system for next season.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Didn't even realize Arena football was still a thing.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

This reminds me of something that happened some years back. A local high school, George Mason High, had a football team that went 0-10 and still manage to be awarded a playoff berth. I'd have to look up the particulars to see the logic behind that one, if there was any.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Todd Pence wrote:This reminds me of something that happened some years back. A local high school, George Mason High, had a football team that went 0-10 and still manage to be awarded a playoff berth. I'd have to look up the particulars to see the logic behind that one, if there was any.
Actually in my state in the top 2 high school classes all the teams get into the playoffs. They however aren't playing anymore games than they did before though. They simply dropped a game from the regular season schedule and had everyone's game 9 be the first playoff game. They didn't do that rule to make sure everyone gets a trophy though. They did it to make sure all the deserving teams still got in. Highschool sports are generally so uneven that some of the worst teams from one league will be just as good (if not better) than some of the best teams from another league.