"Name the Game" trivia

ChrisBabcock

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by ChrisBabcock »

A quarterback, who would be a future teammate of Walter Payton, threw a TD pass to a future HOF player, and also threw an intercaption to a future HOF player.

The other team’s starting QB had a rushing TD. Also on this team, a RB ran for a TD. This RB would have exactly one 1000 rushing season in his career, although with another team.

The game ended in a tie.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

ChrisBabcock wrote:A quarterback, who would be a future teammate of Walter Payton, threw a TD pass to a future HOF player, and also threw an intercaption to a future HOF player.

The other team’s starting QB had a rushing TD. Also on this team, a RB ran for a TD. This RB would have exactly one 1000 rushing season in his career, although with another team.

The game ended in a tie.
1971 Packers-Lions

Greg Landry threw a touchdown to Charlie Sanders, and an interception to Ray Nitschke.

Scott Hunter had a rushing TD for the Pack, and Dave Hampton (who had one 1,000 season, but tragically lost another) was the RB who scored.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

This was a final game of the regular season.

The winning team totaled their highest point tally of the year.

The winning team had two players who scored the final touchdowns of their career. One was a running back, the other a receiver. In the case of the receiver, it was the only reception of his career - and it came in the final game of his career.

The lone touchdown scored by the losing team was by a player who once played for the winning team.

A player for the winning team would in later years become the head coach of that team.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

1971 Packers-Lions

Greg Landry threw a touchdown to Charlie Sanders, and an interception to Ray Nitschke.

Scott Hunter had a rushing TD for the Pack, and Dave Hampton (who had one 1,000 season, but tragically lost another) was the RB who scored.
Correct! I was searching for games of "passing ineptitude" of the 1970s and stumbled on that one. Hunter completed ONE pass that day. :shock:
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The winning team had two players who scored the final touchdowns of their career. One was a running back, the other a receiver. In the case of the receiver, it was the only reception of his career - and it came in the final game of his career.

The lone touchdown scored by the losing team was by a player who once played for the winning team.

A player for the winning team would in later years become the head coach of that team.
wow! This was a good one! I figured a good starting point would be seasons of players who later coached for that team. Sooooo, after my 20 month old finally went to bed last night..... I spent waaaaaaay too much time going through the seasons of all the coaches who fit the bill that popped into my head.... Ditka, Schmidt, Starr, Gregg, Flores, Wyche, Coslet, Munchak, Kubiak.... BOB WATERFIELD. I couldn’t think of any more! Dang. Off to p-f-r to methodically go through team lists. Aha! June Jones. Good thing the Falcons come second alphabeticlally after the Cardinals. :) I remember having his 1980 football card when I was a kid and thinking that’s an unfortunate first name. And now I’m thinking that’s odd they printed a card for a guy who started only 2 games in ‘79.

12/18/77 Falcons 35, Saints 7
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 180atl.htm

Woody Thompson and Sedrick McIntyre are the final TD guys. McIntyre apparently was a RB not WR but he did catch his TD so I think that’s what you were getting at.

Henry Childs scored the only TD for the Saints who I had no idea started his career with the Falcons until just now.

There were a suprising number of Packers, Lions and Packers games from the 50s and 60s that almost fit this description. (highest point total in the last game and held opponent to one TD)
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

ChrisBabcock wrote:

wow! This was a good one! I figured a good starting point would be seasons of players who later coached for that team. Sooooo, after my 20 month old finally went to bed last night..... I spent waaaaaaay too much time going through the seasons of all the coaches who fit the bill that popped into my head.... Ditka, Schmidt, Starr, Gregg, Flores, Wyche, Coslet, Munchak, Kubiak.... BOB WATERFIELD. I couldn’t think of any more! Dang. Off to p-f-r to methodically go through team lists. Aha! June Jones. Good thing the Falcons come second alphabeticlally after the Cardinals. :) I remember having his 1980 football card when I was a kid and thinking that’s an unfortunate first name. And now I’m thinking that’s odd they printed a card for a guy who started only 2 games in ‘79.

12/18/77 Falcons 35, Saints 7
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 180atl.htm

Woody Thompson and Sedrick McIntyre are the final TD guys. McIntyre apparently was a RB not WR but he did catch his TD so I think that’s what you were getting at.

Henry Childs scored the only TD for the Saints who I had no idea started his career with the Falcons until just now.

There were a suprising number of Packers, Lions and Packers games from the 50s and 60s that almost fit this description. (highest point total in the last game and held opponent to one TD)
Outstanding work! I think that's one of the toughest I've ever come up with. Coming up with these games and the clues for them is every bit as much fun as solving them.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

In this game, a wide receiver on the winning team scored the first and second TDs of his career. The TDs would be thrown, one each, by the QB and a RB. The same QB would have a rushing TD in this game. The same RB would have a kickoff return for a TD in this game.

A player who scored 2 TDs for the losing team would be a future teammate of the aforementioned QB of the winning team. Although this would be on another (3rd) team. This player would lead the league in receiving yardage this particular season of the game in question.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 160sdg.htm

Lance Alworth only had 3 touchdowns his rookie year, and 2 came in this game, from Jack Kemp and Keith Lincoln.
Art Powell scored two TD's in this game for NY, he was later Kemp's teammate in Buffalo in 1967.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

As far as I know this was the last game where one team used 4 QBs in one game, and all legitimate quarterbacks, no formations where a WR takes the snap like in the wildcat.

Hint: The game was played in "prime time"!!
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 160sdg.htm

Lance Alworth only had 3 touchdowns his rookie year, and 2 came in this game, from Jack Kemp and Keith Lincoln.
Art Powell scored two TD's in this game for NY, he was later Kemp's teammate in Buffalo in 1967.
Correct! That was quick. I thought this one would be a bit more of a stumper.