"Name the Game" trivia

conace21

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by conace21 »

Todd Pence wrote:
CSKreager wrote:There were 8 touchdowns combined in this game (4 for each team), no field goals, and it ended in a tie.
This actually describes a number of games:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... r_by_asc=Y

It looks like there were 13 such games. The two Jets games in 1966 and 1967 both featured two Jim Turner field goals. Interestingly enough, in each of those games, the Jets were down 28-20 at some point in the 4th quarter, Emerson Boozer scored, and the Jets got a 2 point conversion to tie the game.

Also, interestingly enough, two consecutive games on this list featured 28 point comebacks. The 1947 Browns (vs NY Yankees) and the 1948 Rams (vs. Philadelphia) both fell behind 28-0 and scored four touchdowns to eke out a tie.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

This game featured a quarterback who threw 4 TD passes, a quarterback who threw 3 TD passes, and a third QB who threw two TD passes.

Each team featured a receiver who had a hat trick (3 TD catches).

The game was won on a field goal by a kicker who had been out of the league the year before, and who was rejoining a team that had previously let him go.
I think I've got it? Assuming a receiver can be a tight end in this case. He is in fact getting a reception on the stat sheet so I don't see why not. :)

10/22/06 Falcons 41, Steelers 38. I remember those Vick/Dunn/Duckett Falcons never had many notable WRs anyway. Crumpler got most of the pass targets.

Pittsburgh Steelers at Atlanta Falcons - October 22nd, 2006
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 220atl.htm

Roethlesberger and Batch passed for 3 and 2, Vick passed for 4. Hines Ward and Alge Crumpler caught 3. And I had completely forgotten Morten Andersen had another few seasons on the Falcons at the end of the career.

At first I went through the 7 or 8 games that featured a team throwing for 6 and the opponent 3. Just in case you were trying to throw in a trick question and the 2 TD guy was on the 4 TD guy's team when we were all assuming he'd be on the 3 TD guy's team. :)
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
This game featured a quarterback who threw 4 TD passes, a quarterback who threw 3 TD passes, and a third QB who threw two TD passes.

Each team featured a receiver who had a hat trick (3 TD catches).

The game was won on a field goal by a kicker who had been out of the league the year before, and who was rejoining a team that had previously let him go.
I think I've got it? Assuming a receiver can be a tight end in this case. He is in fact getting a reception on the stat sheet so I don't see why not. :)

10/22/06 Falcons 41, Steelers 38. I remember those Vick/Dunn/Duckett Falcons never had many notable WRs anyway. Crumpler got most of the pass targets.

Pittsburgh Steelers at Atlanta Falcons - October 22nd, 2006
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 220atl.htm

Roethlesberger and Batch passed for 3 and 2, Vick passed for 4. Hines Ward and Alge Crumpler caught 3. And I had completely forgotten Morten Andersen had another few seasons on the Falcons at the end of the career.

At first I went through the 7 or 8 games that featured a team throwing for 6 and the opponent 3. Just in case you were trying to throw in a trick question and the 2 TD guy was on the 4 TD guy's team when we were all assuming he'd be on the 3 TD guy's team. :)
That's correct! I don't know that there are that many games with three quarterbacks throwing for multiple TD passes.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

That's correct! I don't know that there are that many games with three quarterbacks throwing for multiple TD passes.
Probably not that many for QBs on the same team. I don't know if that's searchable on p-f-r.

This might be a fun one...

- Both coaches are members of the PFHOF.
- A rookie QB ran for the only rushing TD of his career in this game.
- A future NFL head coach caught a pass in this game. It was his only reception of the season.
- The previous season’s league rushing leader played for the winning team.
- The current season’s league rushing leader played for the losing team.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Probably not that many for QBs on the same team. I don't know if that's searchable on p-f-r.

This might be a fun one...

- Both coaches are members of the PFHOF.
- A rookie QB ran for the only rushing TD of his career in this game.
- A future NFL head coach caught a pass in this game. It was his only reception of the season.
- The previous season’s league rushing leader played for the winning team.
- The current season’s league rushing leader played for the losing team.
1969 - Bengals 34, Chargers 20

Coaches: Paul Brown vs. Sid Gilman
Greg Cook rushes for only TD of career
Bruce Coslet had his lone reception
Paul Robinson had led the previous year
Dickie Post would be the rushing leader this year
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Here's one that should only require a scant few clues to give it away.

A future HOF QB (for the winning team) threw a touchdown pass to his all-time favorite receiver, the last scoring strike those two would ever hook up on. The next season, that receiver would be on another team catching balls for another future HOF QB.

This second HOF QB had been selected just one pick ahead of the losing team's QB, who threw the last TD pass of his career in this game.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

The opening kickoff was fumbled and the other team scored a touchdown on their first possession
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Todd Pence wrote:Here's one that should only require a scant few clues to give it away.

A future HOF QB (for the winning team) threw a touchdown pass to his all-time favorite receiver, the last scoring strike those two would ever hook up on. The next season, that receiver would be on another team catching balls for another future HOF QB.

This second HOF QB had been selected just one pick ahead of the losing team's QB, who threw the last TD pass of his career in this game.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 200mia.htm

Dan Marino and Mark Clayton connected on their final TD pass together. The next season, Clayton was catching balls from Brett Favre in Green Bay. Jets QB Browning Nagle was picked right after Favre in 1991. One correction, though. Nagle threw one more NFL TD pass, in 1996, for Atlanta.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

1969 - Bengals 34, Chargers 20

Coaches: Paul Brown vs. Sid Gilman
Greg Cook rushes for only TD of career
Bruce Coslet had his lone reception
Paul Robinson had led the previous year
Dickie Post would be the rushing leader this year
correct! I was about to say Coslet's lone reception was also his lone touchdown but I figured that would be a little bit too "searchable". :)
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

conace21 wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:Here's one that should only require a scant few clues to give it away.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 200mia.htm

Dan Marino and Mark Clayton connected on their final TD pass together. The next season, Clayton was catching balls from Brett Favre in Green Bay. Jets QB Browning Nagle was picked right after Favre in 1991. One correction, though. Nagle threw one more NFL TD pass, in 1996, for Atlanta.
So he did. I must have meant to say "the last TD pass he ever threw for that team."

Browning Nagle was enrolled in a freshman communications class I was in, but he never showed. (I know, big surprise).