"Name the Game" trivia

conace21

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by conace21 »

December 17, 2012

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 170oti.htm

Tim Tebow was NY's backup quarterback, and he threw one incomplete pass for the Jets and coach Rex Ryan.

Former 2,000 yard rusher Chris Johnson played for the Titans and coach Mike Munchak, a HOF lineman. Titans punter Brett Kern punted a career high ten times. (He tied that mark last season against Miami.) Brett is actually from my hometown of Grand Island, NY.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
A player who once had a 2000 yard rushing season played for the winning team.
I'm thinking this 2000 yard season must have happened in college. EDIT - Never mind!
Last edited by Todd Pence on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

December 17, 2012

Tim Tebow was NY's backup quarterback, and he threw one incomplete pass for the Jets and coach Rex Ryan.

Former 2,000 yard rusher Chris Johnson played for the Titans and coach Mike Munchak, a HOF lineman. Titans punter Brett Kern punted a career high ten times. (He tied that mark last season against Miami.) Brett is actually from my hometown of Grand Island, NY.
Correct! And actually, come to think of it, I would say you & Brett are about the same age? Were you in high school with him? I would say he would be class of 2003 or 2004.
edit: Even though I know you recently had a birthday I can't remember your exact age! I don't pay that close attention to things like that on Facebook. :P
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

OK, now I would like to submit one about a player I knew when he was in high school. He not only attended my high school (different years, more than a decade between us), but also played for the same college I attended.

The game in question was his first career touchdown. From the clues, see if you can guess his identity. He played on the losing team in this game.

Both teams had appeared in the Super Bowl within the five years previous to this game.

The winning teams kicker had appeared in the Super Bowl not only with his current team, but with a previous team. (On another personal note, he played for my dad's alma mater).

The winning teams quarterback would in later years start a Super Bowl against the losing team, while with another club.

In addition to the guy I know, a player on the winning team also scored his first career TD.

The losing team's quarterback (who threw the TD pass to my guy) was starting at QB for the last ever time for that team. He would be with another team the following year. (And he was an alum of my dad's grad school!)

And finally, the losing team's coach was the son of another NFL coach.

That should be enough clues to identify the game, and the identity of the player I know. You also should be able to identify my and my dad's two colleges.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
December 17, 2012

Correct! And actually, come to think of it, I would say you & Brett are about the same age? Were you in high school with him? I would say he would be class of 2003 or 2004.
edit: Even though I know you recently had a birthday I can't remember your exact age! I don't pay that close attention to things like that on Facebook. :P
Brett was a few years younger than me, and I actually went school off the Island.

Note: Only four times has a 2,000 yard rusher played for a coach who is enshrined in Canton. Three of those coaches are enshrined for their play as offensive linemen.

OJ Simpson: Jim Ringo and Bill Walsh
Eric Dickerson: Art Shell
Chris Johnson: Mike Munchak

OJ only won 1 game under Ringo and 2 under Walsh so I eliminated him pretty quickly. The 1992 Raiders were 7-9 so that took a little longer. I had almost given up when I remembered Munchak was in the HOF. I knew Kern was a Titan, and just checked his game log for most punts... I figured the punter was a WNY native.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Note: Only four times has a 2,000 yard rusher played for a coach who is enshrined in Canton. Three of those coaches are enshrined for their play as offensive linemen.
Interesting!

Todd, your game has me intrigued. No time to figure it out yet but this is probably the logical starting point..... (Super Bowl starting QBs who previously played for other teams)
The winning teams quarterback would in later years start a Super Bowl against the losing team, while with another club.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Todd, your game has me intrigued. No time to figure it out yet but this is probably the logical starting point..... (Super Bowl starting QBs who previously played for other teams)
Now, that is what is going to give it away.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

ok, I got it. I boiled the question down to: Super Bowl starting QBs who were on at least their second team starting a Super Bowl that had a “head coach son” in that team’s history. First I eliminated Chris Chandler against the Wade Phillips Broncos. Then I looked into Peyton Manning against the Jim Mora Jr. Seahawks.

10/4/09 Colts 34, Seahawks 17
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 040clt.htm
The game in question was his first career touchdown. From the clues, see if you can guess his identity. He played on the losing team in this game.
Owen Schmitt from Fairfax, VA who attended West Virginia.
Both teams had appeared in the Super Bowl within the five years previous to this game.
Colts vs. Bears, Seahawks vs. Steelers
The winning teams kicker had appeared in the Super Bowl not only with his current team, but with a previous team. (On another personal note, he played for my dad’s alma mater).
Adam Vinatieri (South Dakota St.)
Peyton Manning
In addition to the guy I know, a player on the winning team also scored his first career TD.
Austin Collie
The losing team’s quarterback (who threw the TD pass to my guy) was starting at QB for the last ever time for that team. He would be with another team the following year. (And he was an alum of my dad’s grad school!)
Seneca Wallace (iowa St.)
And finally, the losing team’s coach was the son of another NFL coach.
Jim Mora Jr.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Nice job! Great detective work! Of course, there was was one big obvious clue I was wondering if anyone would pick up on was my profile pic on this site which shows me and Owen!
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Well, seeing as I never heard of Owen before today, I wouldn't have known that was him in your pic. Either guy in the pic for that matter. :roll: :)