1982 NFL season - expectations as well as retrospect

74_75_78_79_

1982 NFL season - expectations as well as retrospect

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

As much as I consider the ’78-thru-’81 seasons as the ‘Mt Rushmore’ of the 16-game era, I feel that had the very following season been a full one, it just may have ended up being tops with me. I biasedly feel this way partly due to AFC Central matching up with NFC East that very year; and Steelers Dynasty still quite fresh enough in spite of 9-7 followed by 8-8. I always loved AFC Central vs NFC East. Worth the, at the time, three-year wait.

Of course you had your first MNF game, and I just saw in Pro Football Reference that Dallas was actually favorite by 5.5. I’m pretty sure I remember seeing in the paper leading up to the game that Steelers were favorite. I was surprised at first but then figured - with the help of my Dad - that it was due to recent, still-fresh-enough history between the two. Perhaps it’s the opening line that’s listed; or maybe Steelers were favored at first and then it ended that way. Perhaps some of you remember it better.

I’m going to guess that Dallas was favored to win-it-all with SF likely being predicted as having a let-down. I watched at least most of that Redskins/Eagles opener at the time and think I remember one of its two announcers predicting a Wash/Den SB. It may have been another game or a seperate pregame show altogether.

I know it was generally expected going into the season that the strike would take place shortly after the season began. I don’t remember what I thought at the time, either optimistic it wouldn’t happen at all or if it actually would happen.

Mark Moseley being MVP? Here’s an article I came across about it...

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mark- ... -in-weird/

Was it a product of a shortened season? Or should it have still been either Marcus, Fouts, Wes, etc?
L.C. Greenwood

Re: 1982 NFL season - expectations as well as retrospect

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:As much as I consider the ’78-thru-’81 seasons as the ‘Mt Rushmore’ of the 16-game era, I feel that had the very following season been a full one, it just may have ended up being tops with me. I biasedly feel this way partly due to AFC Central matching up with NFC East that very year; and Steelers Dynasty still quite fresh enough in spite of 9-7 followed by 8-8. I always loved AFC Central vs NFC East. Worth the, at the time, three-year wait.

Of course you had your first MNF game, and I just saw in Pro Football Reference that Dallas was actually favorite by 5.5. I’m pretty sure I remember seeing in the paper leading up to the game that Steelers were favorite. I was surprised at first but then figured - with the help of my Dad - that it was due to recent, still-fresh-enough history between the two. Perhaps it’s the opening line that’s listed; or maybe Steelers were favored at first and then it ended that way. Perhaps some of you remember it better.

I’m going to guess that Dallas was favored to win-it-all with SF likely being predicted as having a let-down. I watched at least most of that Redskins/Eagles opener at the time and think I remember one of its two announcers predicting a Wash/Den SB. It may have been another game or a seperate pregame show altogether.

I know it was generally expected going into the season that the strike would take place shortly after the season began. I don’t remember what I thought at the time, either optimistic it wouldn’t happen at all or if it actually would happen.

Mark Moseley being MVP? Here’s an article I came across about it...

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mark- ... -in-weird/

Was it a product of a shortened season? Or should it have still been either Marcus, Fouts, Wes, etc?

1982 was a crazy year, having fewer regular season games probably helped a back like John Riggins. I do remember that opening MNF game, Dallas at home was a solid favorite, the Steelers appeared to be in rebuilding mode. After beating Cincinnati at home the following week, the strike happened, and Pitttsburgh wasn't the same team.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Despite many great seasons starting again in ’83 through the remainder of 20th Century, it seems that NFL football took a slight step back after that notorious 9-game campaign, never to be quite up to par with ’81 and its preceeding years. Perhaps it then took yet another slight step back after ’87.

’98, to me, was the last truly great season; maybe better than ’83 or any of the others leading up to it.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Being in fourth grade at the time, I was so upset at the strike, but having the Cardinals (my favorite baseball team at the time. I am not into baseball as much anymore) winning the WS that fall softened the blow.
I’m going to guess that Dallas was favored to win-it-all with SF likely being predicted as having a let-down.
I have the Complete Handbook of Pro Football for this season, and they picked SF to go back to the SB. Here are their overall predictions:

AFC
East: Jets, Dolphins, Bills, Patriots, Colts
Central: Bengals, Steelers, Browns, Oilers
West: Chiefs, Chargers, Broncos, Raiders, Seahawks
AFC Champ: Jets

The author, Dave Newhouse, wrote something about how the Jets have a super weapon in Richard Todd :lol:. He also said something about how the Chiefs were ready to stand the AFC West on it's head, and about how the Chargers may be entering their last hurrah because they have mortgaged the future for the present.

NFC
East: Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Cardinals
Central: Lions, Bucs, Bears, Packers, Vikings
West: 49ers, Falcons, Rams, Saints
NFC Champ: 49ers

The author of the NFC predictions, Paul Attner, had tons of praise for the 49ers and Walsh, basically saying that they are unstoppable as long as Bill has his creative power. He also said that the Rams and Falcons could push the 49ers (the reason the Rams could is because they finally found their QB in Bert Jones. We all know how that worked out).

Besides that book, I used to have a copy of Sport Magazine's 1982 NFL Preview. They had the Bills, Bengals, and Broncos winning the AFC Divisions (with Chiefs and Pats as WC teams), and they had the Cowboys, Lions, and Falcons winning the NFC divisions (with Redskins and 49ers as WC teams). In SB XVII, they predicted that the Falcons and Bills would meet, and the Bills would win.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

The Redskins definitely benefited by having the toughest part of their schedule canceled (Not only both previous SB teams San Fran and Cincy but Pittsburgh and the other meeting with Dallas).
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I remember the dropoffs of the 49ers and Broncos all being very strange. (although I was only 9 years old at the time) In retrospect, the 49ers probably had to do a bit with regression back to the mean and the Broncos some shaky QB play, which made them so eager to trade for you know who the next year. I wonder if anyone has ever done a "what if" analysis of this year based on the entire season playing out (with no strike). The Redskins "lost" games were already mentioned. I wonder if they "only" go 10-6 or 11-5 with a full schedule?
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I remember the dropoffs of the 49ers and Broncos all being very strange. (although I was only 9 years old at the time) In retrospect, the 49ers probably had to do a bit with regression back to the mean and the Broncos some shaky QB play, which made them so eager to trade for you know who the next year. I wonder if anyone has ever done a "what if" analysis of this year based on the entire season playing out (with no strike). The Redskins "lost" games were already mentioned. I wonder if they "only" go 10-6 or 11-5 with a full schedule?
On the old forums, I started a 1982 "what-if 16 games" thread. Even if I hated WIs, I'd consider it a neat topic and one I'd still partake in. It's no longer available, but I believe I had Redskins finishing as an...11-5 (as you suggested) WC only for they to still run-the-table anyway. They beat top-seeded 13-3 Cowboys in the NFCC, then beat SB-returnee, 2nd-seed Cincy, for the Lombardi. I think I had Cards as the second NFC wildcard, San Fran rallying to a 10-6 2nd-seed (as they would actually finish in '83), and GB the 3rd-seeder at...9-6-1.

In the AFC, I had Steelers back in the playoffs as a WC, only to go one-and-done at Miami. Some of you in here, I recall, having the 'Burgh getting that..."one-for-the-Thumb". I believe one prediction had them beating Wash themselves in XVII. Jets were my top-seed pick. I had them 13-3 only to lose at Shea to 3rd-seed SD, only for Chargers to then lose another AFCC at Riverfront. Raiders a winner (I think 9-7) but missed out, which I remember 7Den agreeing with. They did sweep SD though. Along with Miami sweeping NYJ.

Redskins appeared paper-tiger-like with their "coming out-of-nowhere" and "winning by field goals"; not-so-strong competition en route to that 8-1 finish with their only real opponent, Dallas, beating them 24-10 at RFK. But once playoffs began, as we all know, they played the part of the Champ the rest of the way; especially making such a statement by beating 'Boys by same exact score in NFCC, then ultimately toppling Shula's Dolphins by 10. Yes, Redskins still win-it-all in '82 IMO.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I've mentioned before that all the "Bill Walsh is a genius" artIcles that appeared after SB XVI, appeared to temporarily go to his head, with one writer comparing him to Hank Stram's situation in 1970.