NFL expansion in Toronto

74_75_78_79_

Re: NFL expansion in Toronto

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I guess the Saskatchewan Rough Riders are the CFL equivalent to the Green Bay Packers in that they’re a small market (Regina, prairie land) yet still are strongly supported. I watched a late-July opener of theirs on ESPN a few years back. It was a home game and the atmosphere in the stands was very noticeably passionate and festive.

Reading a thread a while back about possible CFL expansion, fans north of the border were chiming in about a possible ‘North Ontario’ franchise with London the sensible homebase, drawing in the nearby cluster of sizeable enough locations like Sudbury, Kitchener, etc. Another Toronto CFL team, perhaps? Like Mets to Yankees (maybe Mississauga)? There also was a suggestion on that thread about Windsor being a candidate - of course depending on Detroit across the river for the bulk of support.

Not sure any of those suggestions are feasible enough. Hamilton, (back again) Ottawa, and especially the Argos fanbases ought to take out the necessary air for another Ontario franchise.

Quebec City, I believe, recently had a group willing to start a franchise (I’d love to see it), but I guess the logic now is that if they weren’t able to get back the Nordiques, then how can they get a CFL team for (I believe it would be) the very first time (would enough in-town Alouette-fans be willing to defect)? Then again, losing out to Vegas ($$$$$$$$$) nothing to be too ashamed of. If there would have been a second NHL opening, it looks like the Nordiques would have been right back as well (and should be back next opening).

I do know about the Atlantic Schooners franchise that died in the womb in the early-’80s. I know the CFL has tested that market recently with some exhibition games in that region, but it’s still no sure-thing that there’s enough fanbase potential even with Halifax as the sensible homebase.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

sheajets wrote:I also agree Montreal could definitely support an NFL team. Greater Montreal is over 4 million people. The disposable income is there. However it is an extremely fickle sporting town. People forget even the lordly Canadiens nearly bolted for Cleveland at one point.Aside from the early 80's the Expos NEVER drew. Even 1994. That team was 11th in the NL in attendance. The only attendance uptick in their history seems to have been a brief flirtation of the sport.

One day I do believe Montreal will show up on the NFL radar as an expansion or relocation target, but they'd better do there homework and make sure they love NFL football and want it to stay for the long haul
Hmmm...I wonder how much appeal American football has to Montreal's Francophones, who represent about 65% of the population?
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

rhickok1109 wrote:
sheajets wrote:I also agree Montreal could definitely support an NFL team. Greater Montreal is over 4 million people. The disposable income is there. However it is an extremely fickle sporting town. People forget even the lordly Canadiens nearly bolted for Cleveland at one point.Aside from the early 80's the Expos NEVER drew. Even 1994. That team was 11th in the NL in attendance. The only attendance uptick in their history seems to have been a brief flirtation of the sport.

One day I do believe Montreal will show up on the NFL radar as an expansion or relocation target, but they'd better do there homework and make sure they love NFL football and want it to stay for the long haul
Hmmm...I wonder how much appeal American football has to Montreal's Francophones, who represent about 65% of the population?
The Laff league team did pretty well, 32,000 average in their first season and 25,000 in the second.

It's also worth remembering that "American" football has been played in Montreal since 1874.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:The Laff league team did pretty well, 32,000 average in their first season and 25,000 in the second.

It's also worth remembering that "American" football has been played in Montreal since 1874.
The 1992 World Bowl was in Montreal, also. With nearly 44,000 for a game between two U.S. based teams.

CFL: I liked it with 8 teams, would prefer that again but don't want to kill any current teams so I guess I'd rather they expand to 10 just for an equal number of teams. Wish less teams made the playoffs but I think the same for the NFL. Part of the charm of the "small league" is that it's incredibly easy to follow. Easy to see every game of the season and know the players and so on.

When I was a kid, pre-Sunday Ticket, I actually saw players like Flutie, Ham, Allen, Gizmo, Pinball, Rocket, etc in full games on TV more than I did Marino, D. Sanders, B. Sanders, LT, etc because seeing 4 NFL games a week meant only seeing 8 of 28 teams. Obviously I followed the NFL more so knew all the players and everything but to actually see how good they really were instead of just highlights on Primetime and Inside the NFL I've had to spend a chunk of my adult life going back and watching 100's of games from years that I already followed the league as much as one could follow it. Didn't have to go back and watch the CFL from the same time because I watched it when it happened. The only time there was less CFL, or I didn't get to see essentially every game, was actually when they expanded to the U.S. Though i did like watching the Gold Miners since I previously liked the Surge and it was practically the same franchise with same colors, coaches and a lot of the same players.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Do tell...when did the Canadiens almost bolt for Cleveland???

The Expos didn’t draw because of the poorly located tomb that is the Olympic Stadium. Baseball would flourish in a downtown single use baseball stadium.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JohnH19 wrote:

65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

Toronto is within the Buffalo "home territory" (75 miles radius around the stadium). When there is overlap, the radius shortens to half the distance in that direction. While the Bills don't have veto power on the decision, the owners would be loathe to shrinking someone's home territory without some sort of horsetrading going on.
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:First off, I hope it would never happen. Though I don’t really follow the CFL (if only due to the lack of teams, with most making playoffs), I got enough respect for it and it’s history to never want to see it take a blow. In the event of a possible NFL expanding to Toronto, do you think it would create a domino-effect at the CFL’s expense? Or could Toronto possibly be big enough for both such franchises without it effecting the CFL?

Also, do you think that there’s any other Canadian city that could feasibly host an NFL team? Or would Toronto be the only possible candidate?

No, I don't think the NFL will be expanding into Canada anytime soon. In fact, expansion could take longer than anyone thinks, I feel the needless rules changes and other mistakes the league is making will chip away at the popularity of the NFL. If anything, the CFL could get a small bump in TV ratings from fans in the States.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

65 toss power trap wrote:Toronto is within the Buffalo "home territory" (75 miles radius around the stadium). When there is overlap, the radius shortens to half the distance in that direction. While the Bills don't have veto power on the decision, the owners would be loathe to shrinking someone's home territory without some sort of horsetrading going on.
This is very true and I agree. I think the chances of the league entering Toronto is slim. IMO they have a better chance at Mexico City.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JohnH19 wrote:

The Expos didn’t draw because of the poorly located tomb that is the Olympic Stadium. Baseball would flourish in a downtown single use baseball stadium.
Olympic Stadium is also awful for Canadian (and American football), with the stands so far away. The Alouettes play at the nearly 100-year old 25,000-capacity Percival Molson Stadium at McGill University, where they fill every game. When the WLAF Montreal Machine played at Olympic Stadium in 1991 and 1992 the Alouettes had folded by then, witrh an CFL team is impossible for an American expansion.