"Name the Game" trivia

Bryan

"Name the Game" trivia

Post by Bryan »

*matched two teams who would not finish the season with winning records (the teams combined for a 12-16 record)
*a HOFer was coaching one of the teams
*two HOFers were on the field, one of the HOFers scored for only the second time in his career
*the eventual game winning points were scored by a product of Duke University
*a player who scored 9 points in the Super Bowl a few years prior to this game also scored 8 points in this game
ChrisBabcock

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by ChrisBabcock »

This one definitely has me stumped! I figured a good starting point would be finding the player who scored 9 points in a Super Bowl. I can’t find one in the 14 game season era. (which would account for the combined 12-16 record) My first thought was that this game would be involving Jim Turner on the Jets or Broncos, which would account for the relative lack of HOFers in the game. But he scored 10 points in the Super Bowl. (9 on FGs) Are you sure you weren’t thinking of Jim Turner and forgot the extra point in SB3?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Yes, it should be Turner's 10 points in SBIII. I guess that would explain the impossibility of my question.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Got it. Although "game winning" points I think would refer to the points scored that gave the winning team the lead for good. Which would Be Art Malone's 2nd TD in the 2nd quarter. Wes Chesson did score the final Atlanta points though. The coach was tricky. I was stuck thinking it had to be a George Allen Redskin team with the HOFers in the game being Chris Hanburger and Floyd Little.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 260atl.htm
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'll throw this one out there.... (could be easy)

In this game between division rivals the winning starting QB happened to wear the same jersey number as a player who caught a TD pass for the losing team. A former teammate of Bart Starr scored two TDs in the first quarter.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I'll throw this one out there.... (could be easy)

In this game between division rivals the winning starting QB happened to wear the same jersey number as a player who caught a TD pass for the losing team. A former teammate of Bart Starr scored two TDs in the first quarter.
The ’73 season opener, Cards 34 Eagles 23 at the Vet. Donny Anderson scored two TDs in the 1st Q. Harold Carmichael, who had the same jersey #17 as Jim Hart, scored a TD.

Actually, that wasn’t an easy one.

I got one...two QBs against each other who each were the first player picked in their respective Draft. One of the teams was 3-1 going into this game, the other 1-2. The first points of the game, a TD, was scored by someone who previously in his career scored a TD in a Super Bowl to put his team up by 7 in that very SB (after the PAT, that is).
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Got it. Although "game winning" points I think would refer to the points scored that gave the winning team the lead for good. Which would Be Art Malone's 2nd TD in the 2nd quarter. Wes Chesson did score the final Atlanta points though. The coach was tricky. I was stuck thinking it had to be a George Allen Redskin team with the HOFers in the game being Chris Hanburger and Floyd Little.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 260atl.htm
Yes! I felt like I was Nathan Peterman throwing INT after INT with that question. Extra points for 'persevering'.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The ’73 season opener, Cards 34 Eagles 23 at the Vet. Donny Anderson scored two TDs in the 1st Q. Harold Carmichael, who had the same jersey #17 as Jim Hart, scored a TD.
Correct. I needed to place the game in the 1970s somehow since there are probably a bunch of games in the 21st century fitting the description now with WRs wearing 10-19 numbers. I figured the Anderson/Starr connection would be the way to do it.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

*ex-Bills QB connects with ex-Lions WR on two long TD passes in a winning effort
*ex-Colts RB rushes 28 yards for a TD in a losing effort
*a RB scores his only rushing TD of his career
*ex-Eagles K converts game-winning (for real this time) FG
*game played outdoors, grass
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

October 3, 1976 - Rams 31, Dolphins 28

*ex-Bills QB connects with ex-Lions WR on two long TD passes in a winning effort - James Harris, Ron Jessie
*ex-Colts RB rushes 28 yards for a TD in a losing effort - Stan Winfrey
*ex-Eagles K converts game-winning (for real this time) FG - Tom Dempsey