2017 NFL Playoffs

conace21

Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs

Post by conace21 »

Jay Z wrote:
conace21 wrote:I think placing a team from one year to another (the 1973 Vikings into 1971) is just as hypothetical as placing one player on that team a year earlier. I'm not thinking in terms of "What it Minnesota had never traded Tarkenton?" More along the lines of "What if they had traded for him a year earlier?"
Well, I don't think the Giants would have been interested in trading Tarkenton a year earlier. :D

They could have traded for Billy Kilmer a year earlier; he was on the market. Would have been a better fit than Snead, I think. Kilmer is an example of a QB like Kapp who wound up playing well into his 30s. I think Kilmer was better than Kapp, though.

The issue with Kapp is how he would have held up with his running. Kapp ran a tremendous amount, and in a roughhouse style, for a quarterback his age. 269 yards, plus 52 in the playoffs, at age 30 in 1968. The Super Bowl year he was down to 104, but another 108 in the playoffs. Then just 70 the year in Boston. Given his passing limitations, could he have survived for much longer? I guess we'll never know.

Another good comp to Kapp would be Billy Wade, but again, I think Wade was better than Kapp based on available evidence.

Fair points. I think you summed it up earlier when you said that by the time the Vikings traded for Tarkenton, the defense had dropped a notch...especially in the running game.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Rupert Patrick wrote:New England 24 - Jacksonville 20.

What a ridiculous prediction.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Time to make Championship game picks:

I don't expect the Brady thumb injury to slow him down. I also expect that Belichick and company has extensively studied the film from last week's Pittsburgh-Jacksonville game to see how Roethlisberger scored 42 points against the Jags defense. If the Jags play the same defensive schemes against New England, this game could get ugly as I doubt Jacksonville can keep up with Brady in an offensive shootout. The weather will be mild (mid 40's) and will not favor New England. I don't expect another high scoring game, but I think it will be closer than most expect: New England 24 - Jacksonville 20.
WOW!!

WELL done, Rupert!
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

I don't expect the Brady thumb injury to slow him down. I also expect that Belichick and company has extensively studied the film from last week's Pittsburgh-Jacksonville game to see how Roethlisberger scored 42 points against the Jags defense. If the Jags play the same defensive schemes against New England, this game could get ugly as I doubt Jacksonville can keep up with Brady in an offensive shootout. The weather will be mild (mid 40's) and will not favor New England. I don't expect another high scoring game, but I think it will be closer than most expect: New England 24 - Jacksonville 20.

The Eagles-Vikings game should be the better game of the two. I expect a defensive struggle, and I think the Vikings have too much defense and will find a way to win on the road. Weather will also be in the mid-40's at gametime, with little or no wind. Minnesota 17-Philadelphia 16.

Good prediction in AFC Championship. New England 24 - Jacksonville 20.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Very impressive victory for Philly! Yes, this squad wreaks of ’90 Giants with their back-up QB. Feel real horrible though for the Twin Cities hence the entire state of Minnesota. All the hype these next two weeks and their team won’t be present. Almost seems ‘wrong’ for the football gods to do such a thing, but you can’t deny the Birds. 38-7? Yes, a SB-berth truly earned.

Irony rears its head many a time in sports. While Steelers were losing those home AFCCs left and right, I actually said to myself in the late-’90s, “You watch, when Cowher finally does win a SB, it’ll be through the back door as a ‘road-warrior’ wild card; and look at what ended up happening. Broncos, after having choked hard the year prior to Jags, were a WC the next year, backing into the playoffs, still made it through the AFC though; but were up against the defending-Champ Packers. 13-pt favorites, they were. NFC on a 13-game SB-streak. Denver 0-4 in the SB with Elway being on the convincing losing end of the last three of those, yet...

Well, despite me (yes, not exactly going out on limb) predicting in the pre-season that Pats would win-it-all (against...Tampa, lol), I think irony will play a part yet again. Eagles, with their practically ‘cursed’ history since 1960 (Philly sports cursed in-general), back-up QB versus...the Empire itself??

My prediction...Eagles win by 7! And Foles will have himself quite an off-season (deci$ion$, deci$ion$, deci$ion$)!

And once again, KUDOS to Rupert for that spot-on AFCC prediction!
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Saban wrote:

The Eagles-Vikings game should be the better game of the two. I expect a defensive struggle, and I think the Vikings have too much defense and will find a way to win on the road. Weather will also be in the mid-40's at gametime, with little or no wind. Minnesota 17-Philadelphia 16.

Good prediction in AFC Championship. New England 24 - Jacksonville 20.
Thanks. This wasn't the first time I picked a game right in this forum; I picked the right score on the Ravens-49ers Super Bowl, correctly guessing a 34-31 Baltimore victory. Even when the Jags were up 20-10, I had a feeling New England was going to come back to win.

I bet nobody predicted a 38-7 Philadelphia win.

I know we don't talk about odds here, but the early lines for the Super Bowl have New England as a 5.5 to 7 point favorite, which I disagree with. I expect the spread to go down as money gets bet on Philly after the way they dismantled the Vikings. I've said all along the NFC team would win it this year, and I think the Eagles will win. My playoff system predicts a four-point Eagles win.

Chris Long played for the Patriots last season and is with the Eagles this year. I wonder how many players have played for different Super Bowl franchises in consecutive seasons. Preston Pearson with the 1974 Steelers and 1975 Cowboys comes to mind, but I reckon there have been a few. Has anybody ever played for three different Super Bowl franchises in three consecutive seasons?
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JWL

Post by JWL »

Deion Sanders, LeGarrette Blount, and Ken Norton, Jr are others
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Three different SB franchises in three years? I can’t think of anyone. As for the simple two in two years? How about Eugene Robinson? After getting a Ring in ’96, he then played against (and lost to) Broncos back-to-back years with Packers & Falcons respectively.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Gale Gilbert played for the Buffalo teams that made 4 straight Super Bowl appearances. The next year (1994) he played for San Diego and actually played in the game.

Seth Joyner might be a surprise name on this list. He played for Green Bay in 1997 and then Denver in 1998.

Terrance Shaw played for the Patriots in 2001 and Oakland in 2002.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Three different SB franchises in three years? I can’t think of anyone. As for the simple two in two years? How about Eugene Robinson? After getting a Ring in ’96, he then played against (and lost to) Broncos back-to-back years with Packers & Falcons respectively.
This is from 2013, so it might be out of date. These players have played in the Super Bowl with three different teams:
Rod Woodson - 1995 PIT, 2000 RAV, 2002 RAI
Bill Romanowski 1988-89 SFO, 1997-98 DEN, 2002 RAI
Matt Millen 1980, 83 RAI 1989 SFO 1991 WAS
Ricky Proehl 1999, 2001 RAM 2003 CAR 2006 Colts
Preston Pearson 1968 Colts, 1974 PIT, 1975, 1977, 1978 DAL
Harry Swayne 1994 SDG 1997, 1998 DEN 2000 RAV
Clark Haggans 2005 PIT 2008 CRD 2012 SFO
John Parrella 1993 BUF 1994 SDG 2002 RAI
Joe Jurevicius 2000 NYG 2002 TAM 2005 SEA
Jeff Rutledge 1979 RAM 1986 NYG 1991 WAS

None in consecutive years.