2017 NFL Playoffs

Rupert Patrick

Re: 2017 NFL Playoffs

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I think it was surprising that the Steelers scored 42 points against the great Jags defense. If I were a betting man, and I am not, I would take the over on the Pats-Jaguars game next week. I think it could be another high scoring game, once New England breaks down the Steelers game and sees how Big Ben was able to exploit their defense. I also think the game will be closer than most people are expecting; my system is picking a four-point NE victory, and a 60 percent chance of the Pats winning the game, which is low for an AFC Championship game played in New England. The cold weather in Pittsburgh didn't affect the Jags at all, so I don't think that weather will favor New England. Their last meeting was in 2015, when the Pats won 51-17, which I don't put much weight on as the Jags were 5-11 and the team was much different than it is now. I don't think New England has this one in the bag; I think this is going to be a close game that can go either way.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Reaser wrote:... and then of course one of the all-time horrible defense plays gives the Vikings a miracle win.

The play I thought of immediately was the one near the end of the Broncos-Ravens game back in Peyton Manning's first year in Denver. Forget the name of the Broncos' safety, but he took a ridiculous angle to the ball and arrived at a spot two or three yards in front of the Baltimore receiver, who caught the ball easily and stepped over the goal line. That one wasn't quite as dramatic as the one in yesterday's game because it wasn't the game's last play, and it only tied the game and sent it into overtime ... but it was similar.

It seemed odd that the guys in the studio right after the game were making excuses for Williams. I mean, I'm sure the coaches ALWAYS remind everybody to avoid pass interference in that situation, and 99.9 percent of the time the defensive backs manage not to run right past the receiver without touching him.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Bob Gill wrote:
Reaser wrote:... and then of course one of the all-time horrible defense plays gives the Vikings a miracle win.

The play I thought of immediately was the one near the end of the Broncos-Ravens game back in Peyton Manning's first year in Denver. Forget the name of the Broncos' safety, but he took a ridiculous angle to the ball and arrived at a spot two or three yards in front of the Baltimore receiver, who caught the ball easily and stepped over the goal line. That one wasn't quite as dramatic as the one in yesterday's game because it wasn't the game's last play, and it only tied the game and sent it into overtime ... but it was similar.

It seemed odd that the guys in the studio right after the game were making excuses for Williams. I mean, I'm sure the coaches ALWAYS remind everybody to avoid pass interference in that situation, and 99.9 percent of the time the defensive backs manage not to run right past the receiver without touching him.
Rahim Moore was the Denver safety. He was expected to become a good player. His career fizzled after that. I saw the play from last night 25 or so times already. A bunch of people think Williams was scared of drawing a flag for pass interference. I don't see that as being the case but I don't know for sure because I didn't hear Williams' explanation on what he was actually trying to do or if he was fearful of a penalty.

My best guess is Williams was trying to take out Diggs' legs which would have caused Diggs to land in bounds which would have run out the clock. If so, Williams horribly mistimed his action. Like really horribly mistimed it.

Williams had a good rookie season. Hopefully, he can rebound from this as it will be hard. There is almost no way he will be involved in a more iconic play in his career. Jim Marshall overcame an embarrassing play to have a long, productive career. It can be done.

It was sad to see people make awful comments about Williams last night. There were comments about how he should be the only Saint to line up for the extra point. That was one of the lighter remarks. I also saw people confuse Williams with the other Marcus Williams (cornerback who split time with the Jets and Texans in 2017).
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Amazing finish to the Saints Vikings game. I don't think I've ever seen a "get out of bounds sideline pass to stop the clock for a last second field goal try" turn into a touchdown before. I think we've just seen the greatest play in Vikings franchise history.
We had a greatest plays in each team's history thread awhile back. I'm not sure what was chosen for the Vikings, if anything, but this one definitely has to be it now.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Bob Gill wrote:

The play by play guys did bash Williams immediately though, which I find more telling.

Saint D coordinator shares some of the blame. There was no one underneath Diggs, and there should have been given the circumstance. Saints had a LB, #52, on the field that was completely useless given the game circumstance. They had players matching up with the TE Rudolph and other WR Wright, but not Diggs, who is the better player. Williams was the only one even trying to cover Diggs, and he did a terrible job.

Rahim Moore was terrible, but that was just one player. I rate the defensive play here worse than the Packers 4th and 26 against the Eagles or the Moore play.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
RRMarshall wrote:]n that most-likely event of the Vikings hosting the Super Bowl, how will the ticket distribution go about as compared to a regular home Vikings game? I’m assuming all season-ticket holders will get automatic dibs. But wouldn’t season-ticket holders of the opposing team all have dibs as well? And then all of those nationwide attending the event no matter who the participants are. I’m sure a share of them won’t even be Vikings-fans. Exactly how much “at-home” would they feel compared to a regular home-game?

And keep this in mind...the AFC champ will technically be the home team meaning they’ll be in the dark unis instead[/i]

Here in NE being a season ticket holder does not mean an automatic Super Bowl ticket. All season ticket holders go into a lottery and the winners get to buy tickets. I assume it works the same for most teams. I also believe the home team gets their choice of jerseys to wear, for example the Cowboys would opt to use their home whites instead of those supposedly jinxed dark jerseys (remember SB V ??)
I've wondered about the Super Bowl ticket distribution also, because I think the host city gets a certain percentage of tickets.
Weirdly - at least to me - is that our Home Owners Association (I live in an eastern suburb of the Twin Cities) sent out a notice last week stating that the Vikings had contacted the HOA with four tickets for sale (seated together, but sold individually as part of a package which includes a three-hour pre-game party with NFL alumni invited as guests). The HOA passed this along to residents with the offer to pass on names of anyone interested in purchasing ($7598 per ticket/experience) to the Vikings ticket rep who contacted them.

The HOA's email stated that this was the Vikings with the offer. Our HOA did at least one (I only recall one) group thing to a Viking game this year, so I reckon they worked directly with the Viking ticket office on that. But I would have thought that demand would have eaten up all of the tickets by now.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Reaser wrote:Wonder what the preseason odds would have been on the four conference championship QB's being Brady, Bortles, Foles and Keenum?

I know, based on my preseason predictions, I would have only been 1 for 4.
Especially since Foles and Keenum were both backups at the time.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

conace21 wrote:
Reaser wrote:Wonder what the preseason odds would have been on the four conference championship QB's being Brady, Bortles, Foles and Keenum?

I know, based on my preseason predictions, I would have only been 1 for 4.
Especially since Foles and Keenum were both backups at the time.
Exactly.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Amazing finish to the Saints Vikings game. I don't think I've ever seen a "get out of bounds sideline pass to stop the clock for a last second field goal try" turn into a touchdown before. I think we've just seen the greatest play in Vikings franchise history.
We had a greatest plays in each team's history thread awhile back. I'm not sure what was chosen for the Vikings, if anything, but this one definitely has to be it now.
I don't look at it like a "greatest" play for Minnesota, rather it was a total gaffe by New Orleans. I don't think there was anything miraculous about the catch, the receiver just caught the ball and ran into the end zone.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JWL wrote:
Bob Gill wrote:

Rahim Moore was the Denver safety. He was expected to become a good player. His career fizzled after that. I saw the play from last night 25 or so times already. A bunch of people think Williams was scared of drawing a flag for pass interference. I don't see that as being the case but I don't know for sure because I didn't hear Williams' explanation on what he was actually trying to do or if he was fearful of a penalty.

My best guess is Williams was trying to take out Diggs' legs which would have caused Diggs to land in bounds which would have run out the clock. If so, Williams horribly mistimed his action. Like really horribly mistimed it.

Williams had a good rookie season. Hopefully, he can rebound from this as it will be hard. There is almost no way he will be involved in a more iconic play in his career. Jim Marshall overcame an embarrassing play to have a long, productive career. It can be done.

It was sad to see people make awful comments about Williams last night. There were comments about how he should be the only Saint to line up for the extra point. That was one of the lighter remarks. I also saw people confuse Williams with the other Marcus Williams (cornerback who split time with the Jets and Texans in 2017).
Williams dove with his head down instead of going in with his head up and wrapping his arms around Diggs.