Bills snow game

74_75_78_79_

Re: Bills snow game

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Bills wearing red...I would have been happy simply seeing them in their regular blue home unis. I am real glad they got back to their ’70s/early-’80s style as of late; back to white helmets in-particular. As I’m sure you all know, their red helmet era was spawned not by Marv Levy but Kay Stephenson. He wanted them to be red; his rationale so the QB could better distinguish his receivers from division-rival (Colts, Dolphins, Pats) defenders. To think, up through ’77 all five AFC East teams had white helmets.

The best snow games to watch on TV is when it’s snowing outside as well. This would perhaps make my favorite snow game memory (albeit not liking the result) the ‘Tuck’ game. As for Steeler snow games, two that come to mind are ones I never got to watch - Colts@Steelers ’78 and (back to Buffalo) Steelers@Bills ’80.

Imagine if Oakland at Denver AFCC gets moved to the late slot in ’77 (1/1/78 actually)?
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I love those Bills red uniforms. Game wasn't on here so I couldn't see it. Though how ironic, Adam Vinatieri kicking a long ball in the snow... of course he is going to make it! :D Best bad weather kicker ever or one of the best?
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Vinatieri has never had much success with the weather in Buffalo, especially early in his career. He continued that run with the two missed field goals. That extra point was one of the strangest kicks I have ever seen in my life. It looked like it would be wide right by a mile, but the wind blew it back in.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Vinatieri has never had much success with the weather in Buffalo, especially early in his career. He continued that run with the two missed field goals. That extra point was one of the strangest kicks I have ever seen in my life. It looked like it would be wide right by a mile, but the wind blew it back in.
It looked like the wind was from the same direction and intensity on the missed FG a few minutes later. Except he kicked that one almost down the middle... and the wind blew it wide left.
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

The Vikings game mentioned was in '69 and not '68. Vikings played at SF in '68. I recall that '69 game being nationally televised by CBS and the snow was bad in the first half. In the second half the snow stopped and visibility cleared and Vikes won 10-3. That's the game where a kid in the balloon gondola got lifted out of Met stadium and crashed into some nearby river.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

sluggermatt15 wrote:I love those Bills red uniforms. ....
So, I am guessing you're under 30...
...age or IQ. Either works... :lol:

(That was a joke.)
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Vinatieri is flat out one of the best kickers of all time. Even earlier in his career before Belichick/Brady. Foxboro on that grass in winter was not easy, neither was old Giants Stadium (way windier back then) or Rich Stadium.

Trying to think of other good bad weather kickers. Steve Christie I thought was pretty solid
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

conace21 wrote:Vinatieri has never had much success with the weather in Buffalo, especially early in his career. He continued that run with the two missed field goals. That extra point was one of the strangest kicks I have ever seen in my life. It looked like it would be wide right by a mile, but the wind blew it back in.
I remember Gary Anderson back in 2002 against Miami to win it as time expired in the Dome. He had that point had lost most of his range and anything over 48-49 was a problem. This one was 53 yards. He drills it with everything he's got. The ball looks like it maybe gets 5 feet off the ground, goes left, right, then last second hooks through the upright. Weird looking kick
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

Ronfitch wrote:It's the after-game that really counts ...

"After Bills pulled out victory, they pushed drivers free of snow"
http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/11/sean- ... e-of-snow/
Nice story. One of the thoughts that occurred to me while watching the game and seeing how crowded the stands
were was how are these people going to get home. Quite a few times up here in the winter I went somewhere in light
snow but when it was time to go home had all kinds of problems because of the weather.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

JuggernautJ wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:I love those Bills red uniforms. ....
So, I am guessing you're under 30...
...age or IQ. Either works... :lol:

(That was a joke.)
Yep, I'm in my late twenties. :D

Why is Vinatieri not a good bad-weather kicker? Do you remember the "Tuck Rule" Game? How the heck did his kick clear the crossbar in the blinding snow?