2017 NFL Season Discussion

Rupert Patrick

Re: 2017 NFL Season Discussion

Post by Rupert Patrick »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:NE didn't look that great, especially on defense. And, with a trip to The Big Easy staring them in the face, this is a team that could be looking at 0-2.
Charlie Casserly predicted the Patriots would go 19-0.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:NE didn't look that great, especially on defense. And, with a trip to The Big Easy staring them in the face, this is a team that could be looking at 0-2.
Charlie Casserly predicted the Patriots would go 19-0.
Chris Collinsworth, egged on by Al Michaels, pretty much said that the Patriots were better than last year. He never explained what he based that assertion on. I sure don't see any basis for it, except perhaps Gronkowski being back at least for now (but he seems strangely injury-prone for such a physical specimen).
Byron

Post by Byron »

Wow, no love for Dallas on this thread! They are better than last season, especially on defense, and will take the East with 11-12 wins as long as they have Zeke in the backfield. I would have expected the Giants to be #2 in the East but they look terrible on offense (even if OBJ comes back they still have issues) so I'll go with Philadelphia for #2, the Giants #3, and Washington #4.

I'll say the NFC North goes: Minnesota, Green Bay, Detroit, and Chicago. If Minny can stay healthy, they will be tough to beat. Chicago could be surprisingly competitive this season.

NFC South: Falcons, Panther, Bucs, Saints

NFC West: Seahawks, Cardinals, Rams, 49ers. I'm interested in how Goff does this season for the Rams. He looked good in week 1, even though it was against Indy.

AFC East: Patriots, Dolphins, Bills, Jets.

AFC North: Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, Browns.

AFC South: Titans, Texans, Jags, Colts

AFC West: Chiefs, Raiders, Broncos, Chargers

Not a lot of surprises here. I think the regular contenders will assert themselves as the season goes on. The more competitive Divisions will be fun to watch though.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I was happy to see a female announcer doing play-by-play for an NFL game, and I used to think that Robin Roberts and Hannah Storm would have made good NFL play-by-play announcers. However, I had to mute the TV after about ten minutes last night. Her voice had a little too much of the generic baseball announcer drawl in it and I couldn't take it. I know there are women out there who will make good play-by-play announcers in the NFL, but I think they need to keep looking.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JWL

Post by JWL »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I was happy to see a female announcer doing play-by-play for an NFL game, and I used to think that Robin Roberts and Hannah Storm would have made good NFL play-by-play announcers. However, I had to mute the TV after about ten minutes last night. Her voice had a little too much of the generic baseball announcer drawl in it and I couldn't take it. I know there are women out there who will make good play-by-play announcers in the NFL, but I think they need to keep looking.
Beth Mowins also does college games. She is okay. I don't find her particularly great or bad. As for "generic baseball announcer drawl" I am not familiar with that as I mostly watch Mets telecasts and their broadcasts are anything but generic. The Gary Cohen, Ron Darling, and Keith Hernandez booth is widely considered one of the best announcing teams in sports. With them you get a top of the line play-by-play guy, an intelligent former player who can be self-deprecating, and a smart but goofy former player. One time in 2016 former Giants pitcher Scott Garrelts was mentioned. Hernandez commented on Garrelts' pitching style and concluded with, "Goofy looking guy. Wore Glasses." He will openly complain about games taking too long and that he wants to leave and also mentioned seeing a tufted titmouse in his backyard one day and how he likes the name of that kind of bird.
JWL

Post by JWL »

What is it with some of these coaches?

As a Jets fan, I actually sort of liked it (a full tank mode, 1-15 season is fine with me to get this mess sorted out), but Todd Bowles ordered a punt at the Jets 44 yard line with the team down by a score of 21-12 with just over four minutes to go in the game. I said to myself, "The Jets may never get the ball back." The Jets did get the ball back but it was after the two minute warning. Predictably, the Jets never scored again.

The Giants trailed by multiple scores with very little time left. They would only be able to avoid a loss (I don't recall if the score was 16-3 or 19-3) by scoring a touchdown, converting an onside kick, and scoring another touchdown (with PATs or 2-pointers depending on what the score was; again, I can't recall the score). The Giants half-assed it. They had to try a Hail Mary right away. Time was running out. The Giants approached the situation as if they were down by one score. They were just about guaranteed to lose the way they handled things. Why not try to win or just call some lame draw plays and run out the clock and go home?

I don't get stuff like this. Do you?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

but Todd Bowles ordered a punt at the Jets 44 yard line with the team down by a score of 21-12 with just over four minutes to go in the game. I said to myself, "The Jets may never get the ball back." The Jets did get the ball back but it was after the two minute warning. Predictably, the Jets never scored again.
My exact same reaction when watching that game. Calling for a punt is inexplicable unless you're absolutely certain you're going to force the Bills into a 3 and out. And even then a minute or 2 comes off the clock.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JWL wrote: As for "generic baseball announcer drawl" I am not familiar with that as I mostly watch Mets telecasts and their broadcasts are anything but generic.
I guess those guys are about gone now, but in the 60's and 70's, it seemed there were a lot of baseball announcers that used to talk with that cadence or twang, you don't hear too many of them anymore. Bob Prince is one who comes to mind, but he had a gravelly voice although he had the same kind of cadence. If you watch that IFC show "Brockmire" that stars Hank Azaria as the washed up baseball announcer, he absolutely nails that character all the way down to the plaid sports jacket. I don't know where that accent started, I think some people were trying to imitate Vin Scully and amped it up a couple notches. Anyway, I heard a lot of that in her voice last night, but she was otherwise well-prepared and knowledgeable.

These days, play-by-play announcers all go to the Joe Buck school of Broadcasting, where they are bland with no personality whatsoever.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
JWL wrote: As for "generic baseball announcer drawl" I am not familiar with that as I mostly watch Mets telecasts and their broadcasts are anything but generic.
I guess those guys are about gone now, but in the 60's and 70's, it seemed there were a lot of baseball announcers that used to talk with that cadence or twang, you don't hear too many of them anymore. Bob Prince is one who comes to mind, but he had a gravelly voice although he had the same kind of cadence. If you watch that IFC show "Brockmire" that stars Hank Azaria as the washed up baseball announcer, he absolutely nails that character all the way down to the plaid sports jacket. I don't know where that accent started, I think some people were trying to imitate Vin Scully and amped it up a couple notches. Anyway, I heard a lot of that in her voice last night, but she was otherwise well-prepared and knowledgeable.

These days, play-by-play announcers all go to the Joe Buck school of Broadcasting, where they are bland with no personality whatsoever.
Okay, I see what you mean. Occasionally, I hear other regional broadcasts such as during DirecTV Extra Innings free previews. There are some baseball announcers who are pretty boring. The Yankees have a few ones like that. In the New York region, overwhelmingly you will hear Yankees and Mets fans say that the Mets telecasts are infinitely better due to the announcers.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JWL wrote: Todd Bowles ordered a punt at the Jets 44 yard line with the team down by a score of 21-12 with just over four minutes to go in the game. I said to myself, "The Jets may never get the ball back." The Jets did get the ball back but it was after the two minute warning. Predictably, the Jets never scored again.
As you certainly know, nothing new from Bowles. He's conceded defeat in much more winnable situations and with much more time on the clock. Didn't surprise me at all.
The Giants trailed by multiple scores with very little time left. They would only be able to avoid a loss (I don't recall if the score was 16-3 or 19-3) by scoring a touchdown, converting an onside kick, and scoring another touchdown (with PATs or 2-pointers depending on what the score was; again, I can't recall the score). The Giants half-assed it. They had to try a Hail Mary right away. Time was running out. The Giants approached the situation as if they were down by one score. They were just about guaranteed to lose the way they handled things. Why not try to win or just call some lame draw plays and run out the clock and go home?
My friend and I were talking about this yesterday, but in the context of meaningless stats. Same thing though, down 16 (two possessions) and just conceded defeat and killed the game off with checkdowns and making sure Marshall kept his reception streak alive. A QB like Favre would have forced it downfield, likely thrown an interception but at least would have went out on his shield. A QB like Hasselbeck would have thrown it downfield but 10 yards over everyone's head and 10 yards out-of-bounds to make it look like he was trying while still avoiding the interception on his stats. Modern QB's take the free completions for the % and are fine with losing. Weird to me, if there's time on the clock you still have a chance.