1978 Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Michel

MAZ1963

1978 Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Michel

Post by MAZ1963 »

Was doing some research on the 1978 NFL Season and specifically the Eagles and saw that they did not attempt a field goal over the last four of the season after Mike-Mayer got hurt. Vermeil chose to go with Mike Michel as punter/place kicker and while he attempted extra points (not very well mind you) he did not attempt a field goal until the last play of the playoff game with the Falcons which he of course missed. Vermeil absolved him of blame saying they were asking him to do something outside his skill set. Anyway, I was wondering what the Eagles did when they got into "normal" field goal range over those last four games? did they punt? go for it? etc...what was Vermeil's rationale for not signing a legitimate kicker?

MZ
Rupert Patrick

Re: 1978 Philadelphia Eagles - Mike Michel

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I reviewed the game book from the week 15 game against Dallas (12/10), and the Eagles were only within field goal range in a fourth down situation one time the whole game. They had a fourth-and-10 at the Dallas 31 with less than two minutes to play in the game and Dallas was leading 31-13 so I can understand not going for a FG in that situation. They went for it and Jaworski was sacked.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

In Week 14, Michel's low XP attempt was blocked by the Vikings' Randy Holloway, with the Eagles leading 27-14. That ended up being the difference in the 28-27 loss. In the playoff loss, another miss, coupled with a late collapse ended up being the difference.

Michel was a punter by trade and had booted a pair of long FG's during 1977 PRESEASON for the Dolphins. Vermeil was quoted late in the season as saying: "He's the best I've got. I can't pull in some guy from the streets." One Philly paper speculated that Vermeil liked the fact that Michel had played safety in college and was arrogant enough to think that Michel's athleticism could get him through the year--even though the Vikings loss should have been a tip-off.

Not surprisingly, Tony Franklin was drafted four months later.
MAZ1963

Post by MAZ1963 »

Thanks Guys, appreciate the feedback.

Once the Gamebooks become available again I will download the 78 Eagles and look at the last four games. Regarding the Dallas game, completely forgot the Cowboys have the gamebooks available on their site...thanks for the reminder.

MZ
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

MAZ1963 wrote:Thanks Guys, appreciate the feedback.

Once the Gamebooks become available again I will download the 78 Eagles and look at the last four games. Regarding the Dallas game, completely forgot the Cowboys have the gamebooks available on their site...thanks for the reminder.

MZ
Game 15 against Dallas is the only game book currently available as far as I know.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

I have the gamebooks from those 4 games.

There were not that many opportunities. The two best were in the Giants game to end the season. There was 4th down where the Eagles turned down a 50 yard field goal attempt to punt. Near the end of the game, with a little more than 2 minutes to go, the Eagles had 4th and goal at the 1. Jaworski ran for a TD, but there was a holding penalty. So it was 4th and goal at the 11. Instead of trying the FG then, the Eagles ran a running play which failed.

At that point the Eagles were already ahead 20-3. Even a successful field goal would not have helped all that much.
MAZ1963

Post by MAZ1963 »

Due to the generosity of one member I was able to look through those last four games as well. You are absolutely right, not many opportunities for field goals in those last four games. I didn't even count the 50 yard attempt since few teams even tried those back in 78. So two opportunities in 4 games, the 4th and 11 late vs NYG (you would figure with a 20-3 lead they might actually take a shot at the FG since it didn't matter one way or the other) and the sack of Jaworski late in the game vs Dallas where they probably would have gone for it even with a good kicker. So, alas, nothing definitive.

Appreciate you checking that out and posting it here.

MZ