CBS footage of Packers' final drive in Ice Bowl surfaces

NFL500

CBS footage of Packers' final drive in Ice Bowl surfaces

Post by NFL500 »

I had often heard that no footage of this historic drive had survived. But early today I came across a story about Jerry Kramer and the 1967 Packers from a 1986 "CBS Sunday Morning" story. It showed CBS' coverage of Green Bay's unsuccessful first and second-down runs into the line, the first time I'd ever seen those plays as broadcast. For Bart Starr's QB sneak TD, though, it seems to be the standard NFL Films coverage, even though I've now seen at least one media report claiming it too is television footage. Agree? Disagree? Has anyone here ever seen that play or others from that 68-yard trek into football immortality as telecast since they first aired?
NFL500

Re: CBS footage of Packers' final drive in Ice Bowl surfaces

Post by NFL500 »

If you want to see this story on Kramer with Ice Bowl footage, copy and paste http://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-bay-pa ... deo-exists
into your web browser and you'll get a Green Bay TV station's short write-up on this and near the bottom of it you can click on a link to the 1986 "CBS This Morning" segment on Kramer and the 1967 Packers. This probably isn't the fastest way to do it but it's the surest way I know.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Or else just go straight to the YouTube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPhz4_N5DsI
NFL500

Post by NFL500 »

Thanks for posting the direct link to this story, Citizen.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

That personally sounds more like a radio broadcast than a television broadcast to me.
NFL500

Post by NFL500 »

I'm reasonably sure that's the voice of Jack Buck, who shared the play-by-play call on CBS with Ray Scott that day, though it doesn't help that there are voiceovers when those goal-line plays are shown. I'm still interested in knowing if people on this site think the crucial 3rd-down QB sneak by Starr for the winning TD, shown at 5:45 in this clip, is CBS Sports or NFL Films footage. I think it's NFL Films, which is all the more frustrating because the other game coverage is definitely CBS.

With the Ice Bowl's 50th anniversary this year, I hope the NFL will take the time to piece together as much of CBS' coverage as it can to present a true replay of the game, using NFL Films footage only if necessary.