Things from the old days you don't miss

MatthewToy

Re: Things from the old days you don't miss

Post by MatthewToy »

Not seeing the score all the time.
James

Things from the old days you don't miss

Post by James »

MatthewToy wrote:Not seeing the score all the time.
I miss NOT seeing the score, except when they went to commercial break. I hate it today that they have the score, down, quarter etc. on my T.V. screen. It's annoying. I don't know if there is anything about the old days I miss.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Well, as long as we're complaining like little old ladies... :)

I don't miss cigar and cigarette smoke at the games.
I remember choking and burning, watery eyes as a 10 year old kid surrounded by "smoke stacks" at Kezar.

That and the splinters made Kezar... "unique."
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JuggernautJ wrote:I don't miss cigar and cigarette smoke at the games.
I remember choking and burning, watery eyes as a 10 year old kid surrounded by "smoke stacks" at Kezar.
Not smoking and can still happen today, but from when I was a kid ... First game I ever went to, in the Kingdome, I'm a little kid loving that I'm watching football and all of a sudden I'm drenched with beer. Turn around and guy behind me is wobbling around and then blacks out and falls face first to the ground. I laughed and wasn't really bothered by the beer - I was just happy watching football. My mom on the otherhand, was not happy. Though we laughed about it on the drive home.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

My mom and dad went to a game at Stanford featuring mom's alma mater: University of Texas.
Of course, she wore her orange gear.

A Stanford fan poured beer on her and challenged my dad to do something about it.

They were both in their late 70s.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

I also don't miss the live TV or radio delays. When I was a kid the local radio play by play was in sync with the TV broadcast. Now? Not so much.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

That awful early AstroTurf and so many stadiums adopting it. Dangerous too (worst offender being Veterans Stadium) It was just not an aesthetically pleasing. Cold and sterile. Eventually I got used to it but never liked the look.

Baseball diamonds carved into the field. Only 1 remains and not for long (Oakland) Never liked the frankenfield look.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

MatthewToy wrote:I also don't miss the live TV or radio delays. When I was a kid the local radio play by play was in sync with the TV broadcast. Now? Not so much.
I remember growing up in Pittsburgh in the 70's we would mute the TV and listen to Myron Cope call the game on the radio. I guess one person here still does that but do others still do that and listen to their local radio guy? I do believe the radio call is always much better than the TV call of the game.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I remember growing up in Pittsburgh in the 70's we would mute the TV and listen to Myron Cope call the game on the radio.
We used to sometimes do the same thing back in the day here in Buffalo with Van Miller. Myron Cope was to Pittsburgh as Van Miller was to Buffalo.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Here in Winnipeg we have had the great Bob Irving do the radio play-by-play of Blue Bomber games since partway through the 1973 season. I would much rather listen to him than the TV broadcasts if not for the few second delay.