Last position player to punt?

JohnTurney

Last position player to punt?

Post by JohnTurney »

Someone on Twitter asked me if Pat McInally was last position player to punt and if he was last player with uni # above 20 to punt. I had to agree, no one came to mind, I and pretty sure he meant a full time guy, not someone who filled in when a punter got hurt.

Anyone else think of someone besides McInally?
MatthewToy

Re: Last position player to punt?

Post by MatthewToy »

When did Danny White stop punting?
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

This query I put together using PFR's Play Index reveals a lot of interesting facts on this topic.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... raft_pos=p

It appears that Pat McInally in 1980 was indeed the last non-QB position player to regularly punt.

The last non-QB position player to tally a punt was the Buccaneers' Ron Springs in 1986. He had one punt in a Week 15 game against the Packers. The Chargers Wes Chandler punted the ball a total of five times that year in Week 11 and Week 12 games.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Andrew McKillop wrote:This query I put together using PFR's Play Index reveals a lot of interesting facts on this topic.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... raft_pos=p

It appears that Pat McInally in 1980 was indeed the last non-QB position player to regularly punt.

The last non-QB position player to tally a punt was the Buccaneers' Ron Springs in 1986. He had one punt in a Week 15 game against the Packers. The Chargers Wes Chandler punted the ball a total of five times that year in Week 11 and Week 12 games.

thanks, I will pass information along
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

MatthewToy wrote:When did Danny White stop punting?
1985, when he punted just once.

Mike Saxon took over as the Cowboys' punter that year. White was on the team until 1988.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JohnTurney wrote:Someone on Twitter asked me if Pat McInally was last position player to punt and if he was last player with uni # above 20 to punt. I had to agree, no one came to mind, I and pretty sure he meant a full time guy, not someone who filled in when a punter got hurt.

A few months earlier in the USFL, Bob Parsons of the Birmingham Stallions was their punter. IIRC he wore no. 87 in the USFL (he was also a tight end). Before that he played 12 seasons in the NFL for the Chicago Bears wearing no. 86 and he has the record for the most punts in a seasons with 114 in 1981.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:Someone on Twitter asked me if Pat McInally was last position player to punt and if he was last player with uni # above 20 to punt. I had to agree, no one came to mind, I and pretty sure he meant a full time guy, not someone who filled in when a punter got hurt.

A few months earlier in the USFL, Bob Parsons of the Birmingham Stallions was their punter. IIRC he wore no. 87 in the USFL (he was also a tight end). Before that he played 12 seasons in the NFL for the Chicago Bears wearing no. 86 and he has the record for the most punts in a seasons with 114 in 1981.
David Greenwood was a starting safety in the USFL who also was the punter for the 1983 & 1984 Michigan Panthers. Don't know if that counts here, though.