Romo Retires

zachary stephen

Re: Romo Retires

Post by zachary stephen »

Tony Romo is a fine young man. Any parent would be proud to have him for a son.
He is a nice guy, a good football player, and a concerned citizen and likely has many other fine qualities.
He is not, however, a hall of fame player even with the lowering of the bar due to the Stabler election.
I believe there is much more to this saga than has thus far met the eye.
Jones is a snake - the lowest of the low. Well, maybe not that low - yet. He condones what he preaches against. Surely, he will spout and sputter at the installation ceremonies which, fans be damned, will take place as though the 2016 fiasco never took place.
It must be awfully hard to avoid a $5-million carrot. He dangled it. Romo bit.
The monsters of the media will keep this thing alive. Wait and see.
Note to those other fans who commented in reply to my opening statement: a response is coming. The NCAA basketball tournament was just too compelling to focus on other sports. They sure gave the rest of the sports world a lesson on how to run a classy and successful tournament or playoff format.
Baseball, the NBA, the NFL, the NHL and that foolishness they call soccer should all pay close attention.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

If not Dallas, then some QB needy team that thinks they are desperate after this season will come calling in 2018 for his services. Wasn't Favre supposedly still getting calls to come out of retirement well into his 40's?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

zachary stephen wrote:Tony Romo is a fine young man. Any parent would be proud to have him for a son.
He is a nice guy, a good football player, and a concerned citizen and likely has many other fine qualities.
He is not, however, a hall of fame player even with the lowering of the bar due to the Stabler election.
Jones is a snake - the lowest of the low. Well, maybe not that low - yet. He condones what he preaches against. Surely, he will spout and sputter at the installation ceremonies which, fans be damned, will take place as though the 2016 fiasco never took place.
Note to those other fans who commented in reply to my opening statement: a response is coming. The NCAA basketball tournament was just too compelling to focus on other sports. They sure gave the rest of the sports world a lesson on how to run a classy and successful tournament or playoff format.
Baseball, the NBA, the NFL, the NHL and that foolishness they call soccer should all pay close attention.
Hmmm...it seems that you may suspect some sort of conspiracy here. Or maybe you have tongue in cheek.

I don't find Romo's retirement all that surprising. After all, he'll be 37 in a couple of weeks. He missed a big chunk of the 2015 season and he missed all of last season with a back injury. It seems to me like a good time to retire. After all, Aikman retired because of chronic pain from a less serious back injury when he was only 34.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

rhickok1109 wrote:
zachary stephen wrote:Tony Romo is a fine young man. Any parent would be proud to have him for a son.
Hmmm...it seems that you may suspect some sort of conspiracy here. Or maybe you have tongue in cheek.

I don't find Romo's retirement all that surprising. After all, he'll be 37 in a couple of weeks. He missed a big chunk of the 2015 season and he missed all of last season with a back injury. It seems to me like a good time to retire. After all, Aikman retired because of chronic pain from a less serious back injury when he was only 34.
Many people don't realize he spent 14 seasons for the Cowboys, more tan Aikman or Staubach. He came to the league one year before Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. As for other QBs who have spent at least 14 seasons with one franchise (even as a backup or injured), I remember these:

1) Sammy Baugh
2) Charlie Conerly
3) Johnny Unitas
4) Bart Starr
5) Len Dawson (including Dallas Texans)
6) Jim Hart
7) Bob Griese
8) Terry Bradshaw
9) Ken Anderson
10) Dan Fouts
11) Don Strock
12) Steve Grogan
13) Joe Montana
14) Phil Simms
15) John Elway
16) Dan Marino
17) Brett Favre
18) Peyton Manning
19) Tom Brady
Last edited by Gary Najman on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Teo wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:

Many people don't realize he spent 14 seasons for the Cowboys, more tan Aikman or Staubach. He came to the league one year before Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. As for other QBs who have spent at least 14 seasons with one franchise (even as a backup or injured), I remember these:

1) Sammy Baugh
2) Charlie Conerly
3) Johnny Unitas
4) Len Dawson (including Dallas Texans)
5) Jim Hart
6) Bob Griese
7) Terry Bradshaw
8) Ken Anderson
9) Dan Fouts
10) Don Strock
11) Steve Grogan
12) Joe Montana
13) Phil Simms
14) John Elway
15) Dan Marino
16) Brett Favre
17) Peyton Manning
18) Tom Brady
Bart Starr
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

I think people trying to find conspiracy theories are looking way too much in to this. Likely the reason for this is just he probably had a higher price tag than most all teams were willing to pay for a 37 year old qb who has proven to be injury prone already and hasn't had a huge amount of post season success.
zachary stephen

Post by zachary stephen »

One need only follow the conjunction of events that took place in the last few days.
Start with the link; then consider the dangling of the carrot, the agreement to cut, the retirement, CBS.
Jones is no one's friend but his own. He is nothing but a puppeteer and a card sharp.
But, Romo drew trump - and won.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/arti ... 050009.php
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

zachary stephen wrote:One need only follow the conjunction of events that took place in the last few days.
Start with the link; then consider the dangling of the carrot, the agreement to cut, the retirement, CBS.
Jones is no one's friend but his own. He is nothing but a puppeteer and a card sharp.
But, Romo drew trump - and won.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/arti ... 050009.php
Sorry but I think you are looking too much into it.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

rhickok1109 wrote:
Teo wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote: Hmmm...it seems that you may suspect some sort of conspiracy here. Or maybe you have tongue in cheek.

1) Sammy Baugh
2) Charlie Conerly
3) Johnny Unitas
4) Len Dawson (including Dallas Texans)
5) Jim Hart
6) Bob Griese
7) Terry Bradshaw
8) Ken Anderson
9) Dan Fouts
10) Don Strock
11) Steve Grogan
12) Joe Montana
13) Phil Simms
14) John Elway
15) Dan Marino
16) Brett Favre
17) Peyton Manning
18) Tom Brady
Bart Starr
How could I forget Starr, I just corrected the list.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Romo a HoF candidate? No, I do not believe so. Not close to one of the best QBs to ever play. A HOVG candidate? A greater possibility exists there, but I do not know for certain. Depends on who he is up against.