Matt Forte

sheajets

Matt Forte

Post by sheajets »

Bound to be some differences of opinion regarding this guy, but despite playing in Chicago (and now NY) he is about as under the radar as you can get being under those bright lights.

To me he's sort of like a modern day Curtis Martin. Astonishingly efficient and reliable(and an even better receiver out of the backfield), never spectacular, but also never had a bad season. Lots of wasted prime years...never played in a Super Bowl though through no fault of his own. If he remains on the Jets he will never reach one either.

If not for a couple of injuries and missed games he'd easily have completed his 9th consecutive 1000 yard season. He has 6 1000 yard seasons and 4 near misses (two VERY near misses) He'll likely finish next season in the top 25 all times yards from scrimmage.

Hall of Fame?
JuggernautJ

Re: Matt Forte

Post by JuggernautJ »

Probably not.
But he's not done yet.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... rtMa00.htm
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Matt Forte is going to need to gain ca. 2,600 more rushing yards to get into the HoF conversation -- especially since he has a 0/2/???? profile, which suggests he's a compiler type RB. And given that he's age 31, am not betting the rent he gets to the 12K mark. Plenty of RBs break down at that age. But we shall see.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

bachslunch wrote:Matt Forte is going to need to gain ca. 2,600 more rushing yards to get into the HoF conversation -- especially since he has a 0/2/???? profile, which suggests he's a compiler type RB. And given that he's age 31, am not betting the rent he gets to the 12K mark. Plenty of RBs break down at that age. But we shall see.
In a lot of ways, he reminds me of Frank Gore, who has never led the league in rushing (his highest finish was in 2006 when he was third) but has been in the top ten six times, in fact Gore has never led the league in anything, yet is now eighth all time in rushing yards with just under 13K, and is less than a thousand from fifth place. I have Forte 34th in career rushing yards, twice in the top ten, but he is consistent despite the fact he rushes at the league average. If you want a runner who will get you at least 800 yards in a seaosn, Matt Forte is a safe bet. Forte is going to need a couple monster seasons or lead the Jets to a Super Bowl victory to enter HOF consideration, but I think either at this point is unlikely. I think if Gore lasts 2-3 more years and winds up over 15K he is a shoo-in, but I think he might already be Canton bound if he retired today, not first ballot, but he would get in eventually.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

As a lifelong 49ers fan I have to say... Frank Gore never passed the "eyeball test" to me.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... reFr00.htm
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JuggernautJ wrote:As a lifelong 49ers fan I have to say... Frank Gore never passed the "eyeball test" to me.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... reFr00.htm
I'm not sure at which point the amount of career rushing yards puts you automatically into the HOF, but Gore will probably pass it, which was the point of my post comparing him to Forte. If you create a bullet point HOF resume for Gore, it comes up rather skimpy, once you get past the career yards. The single second team All-Pro doesn't help his case, nor does the lack of signature performances, or lack of league leading performances. Gore is a compiler; he has been a steady, consistent player for many years who has flown under the radar virtually his entire career. I don't know that I would rate him among the 20 greatest RB's of all time. I think you can write the history of pro football without mentioning Frank Gore.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Matt Forte is absolutely not a HOF'er. I can see the senior committee wedging him in at some point maybe but on the regular ballot. No.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Here's a list, probably not complete, of running backs who were within two years of Forte age-wise, and who had careers that were comparable or better than Forte's: Adrian Peterson, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, Maurice Jones-Drew, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore.

AP and Charles are locks. Gore, McCoy, Lynch, and Jackson had demonstrably better careers than Forte.

I'm not seeing it.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

I agree with most of that, but Jamaal Charles is nowhere near a lock for the HOF. Postseason honors of 2/4 are decent, but I think Lynch had a better career, and McCoy probably will end up having a better career as well. Neither are HOF locks.
Jeremy Crowhurst

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

Omigod that's hilarious. I'm going off of memory, I didn't even look at Charles' numbers. He's not even retired and I'm looking at his career with rose-coloured glasses.

Why does it seem like he's been more dominant than he has been?