All-Had To Retire Early team

Jeremy Crowhurst

Re: All-Had To Retire Early team

Post by Jeremy Crowhurst »

How did Bo Jackson go unmentioned so far?

And at TE, if he hadn't turned out to be a serial killer, Aaron Hernandez would have had an awesome career.
LJP

Post by LJP »

Doug Plank
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Jeremy Crowhurst wrote:How did Bo Jackson go unmentioned so far?

And at TE, if he hadn't turned out to be a serial killer, Aaron Hernandez would have had an awesome career.
Just a minor glitch...

I believe Jackson was mentioned in the earlier thread that developed into this one..
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

Ness wrote:I vote Terrell Davis and Sterling Sharpe for starting halfback and wide receiver. Quarterback maybe Neil Lomax? By the way, that guy took a lot of sacks. Did the Cardinals have that bad of an offensive line or did Lomax hold on to the ball too long? Or was it a mix of both?
I think hip injuries were the downfall of Neil Lomax, he was a good one. But Greg Cook was the ultimate All-Had to retire early QB. He displayed incredible potential during his rookie year, and if Cook stays healthy, we never have heard of Ken Anderson. Hurt a shoulder against KC in 1969, kept playing, but the shoulder never came around. Sadly, it doesn't appear Cook ever recovered psychologically from being forced to retire well before his time. He passed away a couple years ago, I believe.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

L.C. Greenwood wrote:
Ness wrote:I vote Terrell Davis and Sterling Sharpe for starting halfback and wide receiver. Quarterback maybe Neil Lomax? By the way, that guy took a lot of sacks. Did the Cardinals have that bad of an offensive line or did Lomax hold on to the ball too long? Or was it a mix of both?
I think hip injuries were the downfall of Neil Lomax, he was a good one. But Greg Cook was the ultimate All-Had to retire early QB. He displayed incredible potential during his rookie year, and if Cook stays healthy, we never have heard of Ken Anderson. Hurt a shoulder against KC in 1969, kept playing, but the shoulder never came around. Sadly, it doesn't appear Cook ever recovered psychologically from being forced to retire well before his time. He passed away a couple years ago, I believe.
Here's the poignant NFL Films feature on Cook that delves into his sad post-football career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSJiq29YC0w
JohnBowen

Post by JohnBowen »

I second the mention of William Andrews! He was a beast. To me, the greatest Falcon RB ever. May have been one of the all time greats had he been able to sustain the kind of pace he was on.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Ickey Woods, David Sims, Elvis Peacock, Charlie Davis
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Barry Sanders, amidst the controversy of his contract having to repay the Lions part of his bonus. The team refused to release him, so Sanders just retired. Strange!
L.C. Greenwood

Post by L.C. Greenwood »

JohnBowen wrote:I second the mention of William Andrews! He was a beast. To me, the greatest Falcon RB ever. May have been one of the all time greats had he been able to sustain the kind of pace he was on.
Andrews was really special, and a more versatile back than Jamal Anderson was. Had the power, with surprising quickness and speed. It was a knee injury in practice which ruined his career, Andrews came back, but wasn't the same player, and retired shortly thereafter. Was on a HOF trajectory if you look at his early years.

Another 80s player who had a promising career cut short because of a knee injury, was tight end Joe Senser of the Minnesota Vikings. Had one breakout year, but bad luck intervened.