Worst decisions to fire a coach

7DnBrnc53

Worst decisions to fire a coach

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I just watched the NFL's Greatest Games episode for the 2002 NYG-SF WC Game, and I felt that the 49ers shouldn't have fired Mariucci after the playoff loss at Tampa that year.
ChrisBabcock

Re: Worst decisions to fire a coach

Post by ChrisBabcock »

After going 8-8 in 2000 Wade Phillips was fired as head coach of the Bills for refusing to fire his special teams coach.
fgoodwin

Post by fgoodwin »

Jerry Jones fired Chan Gailey after two seasons in which he went 10-6, then 8-8.

I think it was the slip to 8-8 that led Jerry to fire him. Gailey led the Cowboy to the playoffs both years (although he lost in the first round both years).

Ater three years of 5-11 mediocrity under Dave Campo, Jerry expressed regret that he may have pulled the trigger too soon on Gailey.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:I just watched the NFL's Greatest Games episode for the 2002 NYG-SF WC Game, and I felt that the 49ers shouldn't have fired Mariucci after the playoff loss at Tampa that year.
How about his predecessor, George Seifert?
.766 Winning Percentage, wins 2/3s of his play-off games including 2 Super Bowls and...
...the guy who forces him out goes to the Hall of Fame...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/c ... eifGe0.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... o/1996.htm

(Just to clarify and as I recall ((So I may be in error on some details)) Seifert was not fired but after a 12-4 season but rather Mariucci was hired as "Offensive Coordinator and future head coach." And Seifert chose to commit Seppuku rather than live with that dishonor.)
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Bum Phillips, 1980 Oilers.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Joe Bugel, 1993 Cards, for failing to finish .500 (he finished 7-9) although he won four of his last five, and in consecutive weeks in November lost in Dallas by five and to the Giants in New York by two. He should have gotten another shot in 1994.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

He wasn't fired, but Marty Schottenheimer was forced out after the 1988 season because Browns owner Art Modell wanted him to fire his brother, which he refused to do and quit.

I still say Jim Haslett got a raw deal from New Orleans, considering his last year (Saints were 3-13) was when the Saints were in the post-Katrina nightmare situation, where they had no real home games, etc.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

JuggernautJ wrote:
7DnBrnc53 wrote:I just watched the NFL's Greatest Games episode for the 2002 NYG-SF WC Game, and I felt that the 49ers shouldn't have fired Mariucci after the playoff loss at Tampa that year.
How about his predecessor, George Seifert?
.766 Winning Percentage, wins 2/3s of his play-off games including 2 Super Bowls and...
...the guy who forces him out goes to the Hall of Fame...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/c ... eifGe0.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... o/1996.htm

(Just to clarify and as I recall ((So I may be in error on some details)) Seifert was not fired but after a 12-4 season but rather Mariucci was hired as "Offensive Coordinator and future head coach." And Seifert chose to commit Seppuku rather than live with that dishonor.)
Also, on Reddit, there were 49er fans that were talking about how Walsh was forced to resign by Eddie D after the 1988 season.

As for Mariucci, the person that he was supposed to be replacing as offensive coordinator (until George left), Marc Trestman, was also forced out too early. I think that Walsh made him the scapegoat for the offense's lack of a run game or something.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

The 49ers firing Jim Harbaugh. They were 46-82 in eight seasons before Harbaugh. After he arrived, they went 44-19 and went to three NFC championship games and a Super Bowl. Since his firing, they've gone 7-25 under two coaches in two seasons.
jeckle_and_heckle

Post by jeckle_and_heckle »

rhickok1109 wrote:The 49ers firing Jim Harbaugh. They were 46-82 in eight seasons before Harbaugh. After he arrived, they went 44-19 and went to three NFC championship games and a Super Bowl. Since his firing, they've gone 7-25 under two coaches in two seasons.
I don't know how you top that, one of the most boneheaded decisions of all time.

How about the Rams and John Robinson? His departure was never positioned as a "firing" but word has it one (according to articles in the LA Times) of the reasons for his exit was Georgia Frontiere didn't approve of Robinson getting a divorce, seemingly fond of his wife.
"ROGER THAT"