Steelers Chiefs game being rescheduled due to weather

Rupert Patrick

Steelers Chiefs game being rescheduled due to weather

Post by Rupert Patrick »

With Sunday's Steelers Chiefs game being moved from the early Sunday spot to 830 PM Sunday due to an ice storm, it got me to thinking, is this the first time a postseason game has moved due to weather? If the weather is going to be so bad in KC at 1PM, why wouldn't they postpone the game until Monday, instead of playing the game seven hours later so those who attend have to drive home in dark and cold as the ice probably isn't going to melt much between the early afternoon and the evening hours. One gets the feeling this is actually an excuse for NBC to air the game in prime time.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
MIKEBENNIDICT

Re: Steelers Chiefs game being rescheduled due to weather

Post by MIKEBENNIDICT »

Maybe so.
You mean no NFL team has ever played in an ice storm?
falconfan58

Post by falconfan58 »

It's all about how the network and the NFL can make the most money.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Rupert Patrick wrote:One gets the feeling this is actually an excuse for NBC to air the game in prime time.
This is the only thought I had when I saw the announcement this morning.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

Love it. No need for 1pm games anymore. Especially in the playoffs.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

01/01/78 anyone?
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:01/01/78 anyone?
I don't understand
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
I don't understand
It was championship Sunday for, of course, the '77 season. I believe Raiders at Denver was rescheduled to go on first instead of Minnesota at Dallas due to a snowstorm expected in Denver later that evening. Of course in this Sunday's case the one game - GB at Dallas - stays as is while the earlier game leap-frogs into the evening. Yes, I'm not for the change either for reasons already mentioned. Yes, forget the fans that attend the games and their conveniences; all for the bottom-line!
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:
I don't understand
It was championship Sunday for, of course, the '77 season. I believe Raiders at Denver was rescheduled to go on first instead of Minnesota at Dallas due to a snowstorm expected in Denver later that evening. Of course in this Sunday's case the one game - GB at Dallas - stays as is while the earlier game leap-frogs into the evening. Yes, I'm not for the change either for reasons already mentioned. Yes, forget the fans that attend the games and their conveniences; all for the bottom-line!
There was no scheduling change made. The 12/27/77 Dallas Morning News said that the Broncos-Raiders game would be played starting at noon because "the NFL feared extremely low temperatures as well as snow and wind might become too great a factor with a late game at Mile High Stadium." There was no report at the time of weather like that arriving, and with 20-20 hindsight, they wouldn't have had an issue had they had Oakland-Denver as the late game.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Oh, ok, wasn't sure of the details. Heard of it a while back, most-likely on this site. As for the '77 playoffs, the weekend prior to the CCs included another oddity with the first two divisional-round games (both AFC) being on Saturday with the other two (NFC) being two days later on Monday due to Christmas being in-between.