Most famous interceptions in NFL history

MatthewToy

Re: Most famous interceptions in NFL history

Post by MatthewToy »

Can't believe these ones haven't been brought up yet.

Super Bowl XXX
Larry Brown
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Rupert Patrick wrote:Malcolm Butler, Super Bowl XLIX.
To my mind, nothing else in this thread can hold a candle to this one.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Tracy Porter in Super Bowl 44
conace21

Post by conace21 »

NFL Films came out with the Greatest Ever Series of videos in 1995. Three parts; Plays, Players, and The Game. On the Plays video, they had the 10 Greatest Interceptions. Not sure how many I can remember.

Isaiah Robertson intercepting Sonny Jorgensen's deflected pass and weaving for a score in what was both Sonny's first playoff appearance and his final game.

Bobby Bryant swooping over to intercept Pat Haden and help Minnesota preserve a 4 point lead in the 1976 NFCCG.

#1 was Eric Allen intercepting Boomer Esiason in 1993 and running 90+ yards through the Jets to complete a comeback win without Randall Cunningham.

Funny I can't remember more of them. I used to watch this tape repeatedly when I was a teen.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Brett Favre's last passes with the Packers, Jets and Vikings were interceptions. With the Packers it was in the 2007 NFC Championship game against the Giants' Corey Webster that led to the GIants game-winning field goal in overtime. Also worthy of mention is Tracy Porter interception of Favre in the 2009 NFC Championship game at New Orleans. The Vikings were driving for the winning score at the end of the game, instead the game went into OT where the Saints won.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Teo wrote:Brett Favre's last passes with the Packers, Jets and Vikings were interceptions.
Actually, that's not true. Favre threw a late interception in the Jets' season finale, but NY got the ball back... on their own 4 yard line with 20 seconds to go. Favre's final pass as a Jet was a completion, and there were 4 or 5 laterals/fumbles on the play.

If Favre had not returned to play in 2010, his last pass with the Vikings would have been an interception. Alas, he did return. In Favre's last game for Minnesota, he did throw an interception, but it wasn't his last pass. Two series after the interception, Favre completed a 12 yard pass, and then on the ensuing first down he threw an incompletion. That was his final pass as a Viking. After a 6 yard run, Favre took a brutal sack on third down that knocked him out. Game, season, career.

I've seen the myth repeated about his last pass with the Jets being a pick. Ironically, I have rarely seen anyone mention that his last pass with the Falcons was an interception. According to Jeff Pearlman's book, it was a deep Hail Mary type pass that was picked off by Sidney Johnson.
JuggernautJ

Re: Most famous interceptions in Football history

Post by JuggernautJ »

Otto Graham made an Interception (while playing Defensive Back) to preserve the victory in the 1946 AAFC Championship Game.
But other than the fact I know little about the event.

Perhaps someone else here can expand on this.... (please).
Rupert Patrick

Re: Most famous interceptions in Football history

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JuggernautJ wrote:Otto Graham made an Interception (while playing Defensive Back) to preserve the victory in the 1946 AAFC Championship Game.
But other than the fact I know little about the event.

Perhaps someone else here can expand on this.... (please).
It occurred in the fourth quarter, with about two minutes to play, and the Browns were hanging on to a a 14-9 lead with the Yankees driving to the Cleveland 46 when Ace Parker dropped back to pass, with Otto intercepting at the Cleveland 30-yard line and returning it four yards to ice the victory.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Thank you, sir.
JWL

Post by JWL »

NFL Network just did a top 10 show on interceptions.

10. Mel Blount in Super Bowl 9
9. Antonio Cromartie vs Colts in 2007 regular season
8. two Troy Polamalu interceptions (one vs Titans, one vs Chargers)
7. Jason Sehorn in 2000 playoffs vs Eagles
6. Ronde Barber in 2002 NFC Championship Game
5. Willie Brown in Super Bowl 11
4. Al Harris in playoff game vs Seattle
3. Tracy Porter in Super Bowl 44
2. James Harrison in Super Bowl 43
1. Malcolm Butler in Super Bowl 49

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... -yTICQXGNQ