Most famous interceptions in NFL history

CSKreager

Most famous interceptions in NFL history

Post by CSKreager »

We hear a lot about the most memorable/famous/iconic touchdowns.

But when it comes to interceptions, some are more well-remembered than others.

What tops your list of the more prodigious pigskin picks?
Rupert Patrick

Re: Most famous interceptions in NFL history

Post by Rupert Patrick »

A few off the top of my head:

Mike Davis, Red Right 88.

Malcolm Butler, Super Bowl XLIX

James Harrison, the end of the first half of Super Bowl XLII.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
LJP

Post by LJP »

Richie Petitbon picked off Y.A. Tittle in the endzone with 10 seconds left to preserve the Bears 14-10 lead in the 1963 NFL Championship Game.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

Troy Polamalu's non Int in the playoff game was the moment I knew that I no longer knew what a catch was.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Alan Page's pickoff to clinch the Vikes' 1969 playoff game vs. the Rams.

Willie Brown's pick-six in Super Bowl XI that ended any conceivable Viking comeback hopes.

Jack Squirek's short pick-six in Super Bowl XVIII that effectively killed the Redskins.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

As a Packer fan, three which come quickly to mind ...

- Tom Brown's interception of a Don Meredith pass in the end zone to end the Cowboys' drive at the end of the 1966 NFL Championship

- Willie Wood's interception of Len Dawson in the beginning of the second half of Super Bowl I (it was a 14-10 game at that point)

- Nick Collins' pick-six against the Steelers in Super Bowl 45 to put Green Bay up by two TDs
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I wouldn't put it among the most famous in NFL history but one of the most memorable in Bills franchise history would be Carlton Bailey's pick-6 of John Elway in the 1991 AFCCG.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Ronfitch wrote:As a Packer fan, three which come quickly to mind ...

- Tom Brown's interception of a Don Meredith pass in the end zone to end the Cowboys' drive at the end of the 1966 NFL Championship

- Willie Wood's interception of Len Dawson in the beginning of the second half of Super Bowl I (it was a 14-10 game at that point)

- Nick Collins' pick-six against the Steelers in Super Bowl 45 to put Green Bay up by two TDs
There were several memorable ones in the 2010 playoffs. Tramon Williams had a pick in the end zone to end the Eagles game. Williams had a Pick 6 at the end of the first half against the Falcons that more or less clinched that game. The Raji Pick 6 and Sam Shields at the end against the Bears. There wasn't an INT at the end of the Super Bowl, but it was sort of remarkable that Jarrett Bush, a special teamer not known for his coverage abilities, nearly had one on the final play as well as having an INT earlier in the game.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

In the 2013 NFC Championship game between San Francisco and Seattle, Malcolm Smith intercepted one in the last minute in the endzone with the help of a tip by Richard Sherman to preserve a 23-17 victory.

Bears safety Mike Brown had two game-winning interceptions returned for TD in consecutive weeks in overtime in 2001.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Super Bowl XIV: Jack Lambert's fourth quarter interception stops what would have been a go-ahead Rams drive and helps set the stage for the Steelers to clinch the game.

1989: Clay Matthews intercepts Jim Kelly at the goal line in the closing seconds of their playoff game, allowing the Browns to hold on, 34-30. One play earlier, Ronnie Harmon dropped a game-winner in the end zone.

2003 Playoffs: Al Harris' pick-six in OT to defeat the Seahawks, negating Matt Hasselbeck's OT coin toss prediction.