Chuck Noll: A Football Life on NFLN

74_75_78_79_

Chuck Noll: A Football Life on NFLN

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

So, what you all think?

Interesting how he always seemed to know the immediate-future-state of his team. Telling his wife in '69 how "terrible" his new team was and it's going to be a rough season, maybe a few. Okay, perhaps that was obvious but then after SBXIV over Rams (no one else knowing it was actually now...'the end') he telling her the team is old, tired, no high draft picks lately; so these next few years won't be easy. End of '91 (no one seeing next six years coming) he says he has a Super Bowl-team again but he's tired and now it's time to hang it up.

His final victory, finale vs Browns, was against the very HC who would end up tying him in (4) Rings. 25 years ago at this time, his career was winding down. Despite he mightily struggling all through '91, he just came off giving Jimmy's upstart, already-playoff-caliber 'Boys a respectable game in Big D, Turkey Day. I'm glad I can say that I attended a game he coached in albeit a loss at Philly (Week #4) that very season. I'm glad '89 was properly mentioned, and what reason was there to not expect it to be?

It touched up on his 'feud' with Glanville, showed footage of the famous '87 post-game altercation. Chuck and Sam Wyche weren't really bosom buddies either. Apparently, Noll like Landry wasn't too big on shaking hands after a game win or lose. Friendly chat with opposing HC during pre-game warmups, perhaps a wave after the game from across the field. No one ever seemed to take issue with it, especially considering his class-act rep. But then in the '80s, after already achieving Legendary-status mind you, new HC Wyche - after beating Steelers - made a big stink of it and ran to him demanding the hand-shake. I remember reading of this a while back. Below may not be the exact article, and it wasn't on this Packers-site, but here's something close enough to it...("you can always tell the rookies in the league...they complain")...

http://m.packers.com/news/article/point ... 1556ab856d

Noll's unassuming modest nature is a big reason as to why he's historically overlooked. Winning as many SBs (without losing any) than both Shula & Landry combined (of course beating the latter in two-for-two) yet both are often mentioned before him. Vince being placed over him? Understandable to me but I more-so lean toward not comparing them at all - both completely different styles. Unlike Vince, and Knute, Noll was never known for giving motivational speeches ("if I have to motivate you, I'll fire you"). However, his locker room take on Madden's "'real' Super Bowl" quote after 'Sea of Hands' game, telling his players that the best team in the league is in this ROOM and (paraphrasing from another source) the "hair raising aback everyone's necks" may very well be second-to-NONE (even 'Gipper'). Coming from someone who never gave a motivational speech made all the difference...and a Dynasty was truly born.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
7DnBrnc53

Re: Chuck Noll: A Football Life on NFLN

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

End of '91 he says he has a Super Bowl-team again but he's tired and now it's time to hang it up.
He said that? Interesting.

If they made the SB in 1989, didn't fire Tom Moore as OC, and made the playoffs the next two years (which was doable), maybe he stays a few more years before retiring, and someone like Tony Dungy replaces him instead of Cowher.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
End of '91 he says he has a Super Bowl-team again but he's tired and now it's time to hang it up.

If they made the SB in 1989, didn't fire Tom Moore as OC, and made the playoffs the next two years (which was doable), maybe he stays a few more years before retiring, and someone like Tony Dungy replaces him instead of Cowher.
I've read quite a while back that Noll knew upon leaving that the cupboard wasn't bare. The team was ready to win again. Walton, perhaps, is indirectly responsible for Cowher ever having been a Steeler HC. Or maybe not! If '91 was another winning season in the 'Burgh (especially a playoff berth), maybe Noll wouldn't have been as 'worn-out' due to the losses (wind out of his sails) and been willing to truck on a bit further. Meanwhile, Cowher in KC would have - out of foresight - been willing to hang with Marty for a few years 'waiting' for Noll to inevitably retire so he could end up landing his dream-job after all. Being that Hoodie was already in Cleveland, he may have very much been willing to do that.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

I'll never understand why NFL Films keeps insisting on using that clip of Noll running on the field with his team while he has a huge cold sore on his lip. But I liked the rare clips from Noll's first 3 seasons with the Steelers because they usually only use clips from 1972 on.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:

When Noll retired after the 1991 season, I figured either Dungy or Joe Greene would succeed him, most likely Dungy. Like everybody else, I was like "Bill who?", but when I saw him on the sidelines on opening day, I knew the Steelers made the right choice in picking him.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JWL

Post by JWL »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:So, what you all think?
I told my mom to watch/record it. As of this writing, she watched about half of it and liked it.

It was good. I suppose the only new thing I learned was that Jack Ham and Lynn Swann thought Noll was nicer to Terry Bradshaw than he was to other players and that Bradshaw just didn't seem to realize it.

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Unlike Vince, and Knute, Noll was never known for giving motivational speeches ("if I have to motivate you, I'll fire you"). However, his locker room take on Madden's "'real' Super Bowl" quote after 'Sea of Hands' game, telling his players that the best team in the league is in this ROOM and (paraphrasing from another source) the "hair raising aback everyone's necks" may very well be second-to-NONE (even 'Gipper'). Coming from someone who never gave a motivational speech made all the difference...and a Dynasty was truly born.
This was part of the reason I liked Noll.

I never got the big deal with motivational speeches and never paid much mind to anybody trying to pump me up either in athletics or school or work. Just teach me or tell me what to do and I will do it or try to do it.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

MatthewToy wrote:I'll never understand why NFL Films keeps insisting on using that clip of Noll running on the field with his team while he has a huge cold sore on his lip. But I liked the rare clips from Noll's first 3 seasons with the Steelers because they usually only use clips from 1972 on.
If you see some of the 1969 highlights, he's actually wearing a suit on the sidelines. :lol: