Lombardi/Allen/Gibbs/REDSKINS

74_75_78_79_

Lombardi/Allen/Gibbs/REDSKINS

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Is there any other franchise whose top-3 HCs they ever had that can collectively top this combo? Does the Packer collective-combo of Vince, Curly, and Holmgren top this?

Brown/Collier/Bellichick (Browns), Owens/Parcells/Coughlin (Giants), Parker/Noll/Cowher (Steelers) by any possible chance?
JuggernautJ

Re: Lombardi/Allen/Gibbs/REDSKINS

Post by JuggernautJ »

Weeb Ewbank, Don Shula, Tony Dungy?
(All Hall of Famers but not even close to the above.)
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Is there any other franchise whose top-3 HCs they ever had that can collectively top this combo? Does the Packer collective-combo of Vince, Curly, and Holmgren top this?

Brown/Collier/Bellichick (Browns), Owens/Parcells/Coughlin (Giants), Parker/Noll/Cowher (Steelers) by any possible chance?
Rethinking this (and to rebut part of my post, above) I can't really consider Lombardi a "Redskins Coach" (nor Belichick a Browns') as the vast majority of their historical work was with other franchises.
While you can't write a history of football without mentioning Lombardi or Belichick you could do so without mentioning their minor stints with "other" teams.

Likewise, it would be difficult to write said history and exclude either Shula or Ewbank... so maybe the Colts troika rates, after all.

Is there a franchise with three head coaches so important as to be "required reading" in Football History 101?
Good Topic...
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

I agree that Lombardi shouldn't count in a list of Redskins coaches -- but you also left out Ray Flaherty, who I'd say was better than George Allen, so they still have a pretty formidable top three.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Should have specified OP, but what I meant was overall legacy inside or outside mentioned franchise even if it was a stint, best/more-notable work elsewhere. A 'point-system' accumulated for Brown/Collier/Bellichick or Lombardi/Allen/Gibbs...heckuva lot of points for either trio.

Yes, considered mentioning Ewbank, Shula, Dungy but decided not to for reason already posted.

Didn't even think of this until this very second, but what about Landry, Johnson, and...Parcells?? A whole lotta 'points'!!
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I'd pick Schottenheimer over Belichick for the third Browns coach. Marty took four teams to the playoffs (two to the AFC title game); Belichick took one team to the postseason and split his two games. He had two playoff contenders do second half fades in his first four years--his last season doesn't really count, but the team was floundering even before the move was announced. Obviously, for overall numbers, Belichick would get it, but he made all his mistakes in Cleveland and learned from them.
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Is there any other franchise whose top-3 HCs they ever had that can collectively top this combo? Does the Packer collective-combo of Vince, Curly, and Holmgren top this?

How was Buddy Parker a better Steelers coach than Mike Tomlin? He made them competitive briefly but didn't win anything. In the process traded way too many draft picks and set the stage for their piss poor performance in the mid-late 60s.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

MatthewToy wrote:

How was Buddy Parker a better Steelers coach than Mike Tomlin? He made them competitive briefly but didn't win anything. In the process traded way too many draft picks and set the stage for their piss poor performance in the mid-late 60s.
I was talking about Parker overall, mainly with Detroit where (like Jimmy Johnson with Dallas) he won two Titles, his successor winning another with the same team right after he left. Of course Tomlin already has been the (much better) Steeler HC and, given time, may end up being better overall.