Your Team's Most Important Victory

rhickok1109

Re: Your Team's Most Important Victory

Post by rhickok1109 »

I think the Packers have sort of had four eras: Lambeau, Lombardi, Favre, and Rodgers, to list them chronologically. But I'll only go with the first two.

Lambeau era: Beating the Giants 20-6 in New York on Nov. 24, 1929. Going on, the teams were tied for first place; the Giants were 8-0-1 and the Packers were 9-0-0. Green Bay took a 7-0 lead early and never trailed. The Packers were on their way to the first NFL championship and the first of three in a row.

Lombardi era: Their 9-6 victory over the Bears on Sept. 27, 1959, in their first regular-season game under Lombardi. After having their worst season in history the year before, winning just one game. to open with a win over their oldest and bitterest rival was really major. They way they did was a harbinger of things to come: They completed only 4 passes, but Taylor and Hornung combined for 159 rushing yards while the defense held the Bears to just 73 yards on 30 carries.
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

I am not sure what the Giants' most important win would be - I think the biggest win would be Super Bowl 42 because they defeated an undefeated team for the Championship. Was the '56 championship an important win in their first year in Yankee Stadium? Were they wins early on that put them in the black financially / cemented the viability of pro football in New York? I am curious what others think.

I think the Giants' most underrated important win was beating the Rams during the 1984 playoffs in Anaheim (where they never seemed to win). That washed away the 3-12-1 record in Bill Parcells' first year (1983) and was the start of their roll in the 1980's.

Good thread.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

BD Sullivan wrote:Browns--1950 championship, since it proved the team was good enough to defeat the best the NFL had to offer.
I might be inclined to argue the week 1 game against Philadelphia, where they beat the defending NFL Champs 35-10. I think a lot of people expected the Eagles to beat them soundly and demonstrate that the Browns were at best a mediocre NFL team but the Browns destroyed them.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Tough to say when they haven't won the ultimate game yet but I guess I'll go with the Vikings' 23-20 thrilling comeback victory over the Rams in the 1969 Western Conference final.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Jags & Panthers?

Jags would have to be their '96 divisional win at Denver (overshadows what they did one week prior at Buffalo). Panthers? Could it be beating Dallas the following day? Or is demolishing Cards in last year's NFCC better?

How about Oilers/Titans?
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Jags & Panthers?

Jags would have to be their '96 divisional win at Denver (overshadows what they did one week prior at Buffalo). Panthers? Could it be beating Dallas the following day? Or is demolishing Cards in last year's NFCC better?

How about Oilers/Titans?
For Oilers/Titans I would say the 1979 Divisional game when they shut down Fouts and won 17-14 without Pastorini and Earl Campbell. However, most would go for the fluke and say the Music City Miracle game.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

When Lou Saban coached the Broncos he used to tell the team at the end of every single win (and those were scarce in the Saban era) that it was "The greatest victory in the history of the Denver Broncos". Considering the state of the franchise at that time, there were not a few times that he was correct.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Nobody has mentioned the following teams:

Washington - I would say 1982 NFC Championship vs Cowboys. That game made up for a lot of heartbreaking losses (1979 Week 16, 1974 Thanksgiving game to name a few) Washington had endured to Dallas over the years and it came in front of their home crowd and put them in the Super Bowl.

Chargers - I have to go with the 41-38 game, in my opinion the greatest pro football game ever played.

49ers - Has to be the Catch game, I would think. Some might say the early season whipping of the Cowboys.

Cowboys - Super Bowl VI - Finally winning the big one after coming close so many times.

Eagles - Tossup between 1948 and 1960 NFL Championship games because both were classics. I would go with 1960 because the game was in doubt until the very end, and it was the last game of Van Brocklin's career.

Lions - 1953 NFL Championship. Beating the mighty Browns in the final minutes. Can't get any better than that.
James

Post by James »

Being a Giants fan, it's a tough one. Maybe the 1927 Giants team winning the Title after only being in the league a couple of years. You also have the 1934 Giants as well. The 1938 Giants teams that beat the Packers 23-16 in the 1938 Title Game as the Packers had won Titles in 1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, and 1939. This is a hard question for me.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
James

Post by James »

Not my team but what about the 1948 Browns beating the Buffalo Bills in the Championship Game 49-7 to go UNDEFEATED at 15-0. They finished the season 14-0 then beat Buffalo to go 15-0 which would last for 24 years until 1972 when the Dolphins went 17-0.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!