Legend in Granite

JeffreyMiller

Legend in Granite

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Looking for Legend in Granite on DVD. Is it available? It's not on Amazon ....
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Rupert Patrick

Re: Legend in Granite

Post by Rupert Patrick »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Looking for Legend in Granite on DVD. Is it available? It's not on Amazon ....
I was unfamiliar with the title but after checking on IMDB.com I saw this when I was a kid. It was the 70's TV movie about Lombardi where Ernest Borgnine (who bore a striking resemblance to Vince) played him. Oddly, Borgnine was not a football fan and wasn't very familiar with Lombardi before taking on the role. Because of the subject matter I'm surprised it has never been released on DVD. I checked Ebay and there are numerous photos from the movie available for auction.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0186300/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
falconfan58

Post by falconfan58 »

Try ioffer.com.Someone on there might have a copy
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Borgnine bears a striking resemblance to St Vince. If you watch clips on youtube, you can understand why it's relatively obscure today.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I know the movie (which is actually only an hour) ends with the 1960 title game. As far as Ernie's resemblance, there's this:
Attachments
LombardiBorgnine.jpg
LombardiBorgnine.jpg (54 KiB) Viewed 12173 times
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Wasn't Robert DeNiro supposed to be playing Lombardi in some movie a few years back? It looks like the movie never got off the ground which is a good thing as De Niro was all wrong for the role. However, apparently there is another Lombardi movie out there that was supposed to debut as part of ESPN's 30 for 30 series around the time of Super Bowl 50. Here is the producer talking about it on the Rich Eisen show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQG2wK0Ij4E

And on youtube, there is a two minute clip from a Lombardi movie. I don't know if this is the movie the producer guy in the clip above was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHyTYMjdeU

I don't think this guy has Lombardi down very well; he has the cadence but not the voice.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
falconfan58

Post by falconfan58 »

There was a play,maybe on Broadway,with the guy who played the dad on "The Wonder Years"in the Lombardi role.I can't think of the name of it.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

falconfan58 wrote:There was a play,maybe on Broadway,with the guy who played the dad on "The Wonder Years"in the Lombardi role.I can't think of the name of it.
Dan Lauria was in "Lombardi," which was based on the Maraniss book.