HOF question

falconfan58

HOF question

Post by falconfan58 »

How can someone who is #1 on the tackles list,recorded over 200 tackles twice, had 5 fumbles returned for TDs,named to 5 Pro Bowls,returned an int for aTD,played on a franchises best team,not be in the HOF?
JWL

Re: HOF question

Post by JWL »

He didn't play for the Steelers.
LJP

Post by LJP »

In 5+ years time, will a DB with 38 INTs, 44 FF and 9 defensive TDs, on mostly bad teams, get in? Or, will his meagre 2 Pro Bowls count against him?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

falconfan58 wrote:How can someone who is #1 on the tackles list,recorded over 200 tackles twice, had 5 fumbles returned for TDs,named to 5 Pro Bowls,returned an int for aTD,played on a franchises best team,not be in the HOF?
Part of it was that he was only First-team All-Pro once and Second-team All-Pro once. Also, I don't remember his scoring any touchdowns on fumble recoveries, but he did have 2 pick 6s. But those are low numbers compared to the others in the HOF>

My personal question is why the Falcons were so poor stopping the run. At first, they were expansion team, so it was expected that they'd struggle. But in 1970 they were okay, but that was only year they were below 4.1 yards a rush. They kept adding players, Humphrey, Zook, Lewis, Tilleman, Hanson, Brezina, but they just couldn't stop the run. Not that it was all Nobis's fault, but sometimes you can get a lot of tackles in you are on the field a long time.

Plus when you look at the tackle stats, they don't add up to 200 in those seasons. The play by plays show more like 150.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

I think he's talking about Jessie Tuggle, not Nobis.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

LJP wrote:In 5+ years time, will a DB with 38 INTs, 44 FF and 9 defensive TDs, on mostly bad teams, get in? Or, will his meagre 2 Pro Bowls count against him?
One of my favorite players. Took media and co. way too long to figure out how good he was. Cost him the hype which = the awards.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Todd Pence wrote:I think he's talking about Jessie Tuggle, not Nobis.
aha ....
falconfan58

Post by falconfan58 »

Yep it's Jessie Tuggle, and also why isn't Tommy Nobis in the HOF?I think it was because it was an expansion team,and Atlanta wasn't a big media outlet at the time.Sorry I didn't say who it was.
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

falconfan58 wrote:Yep it's Jessie Tuggle, and also why isn't Tommy Nobis in the HOF?I think it was because it was an expansion team,and Atlanta wasn't a big media outlet at the time.Sorry I didn't say who it was.
Sime, his tackle numbers were inflated by the team. The play by plays have him in the general top end of MLB's in TT's but the team numbers are just not credible. Note Scott Case and Buford Jordan's tackle numbers during some of those years. For all the tackles, he made relatively few behind the line of scrimmage. Bill Berge was another inflated tackle guy, but a better all around LB if you ask me. Inflated tackles still haunt Randy Gradishar, who should be in the hall. Tuggle, he's outside the HOVG looking in. If we're going for HOF on tackles, it should be Speilman from essentially the same era.
falconfan58

Post by falconfan58 »

Jessie Tuggle:# 1 at 1640,Chris Spielman#11 with 1181.Now I saw (on tv) Speilman play,he was a heck of a LB,but...And Gradishar was a heck of a LB too,but he didn't play for a name team.I think that was JT"s problem too.I've always felt they pay too much attention to some players,Ulacher,ZachThomas,Brady, Rodgers,etc.