Coffin Corner Volume 38 Number 4

Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Coffin Corner Volume 38 Number 4

Post by Ken Crippen »

The latest issue of The Coffin Corner was sent to the printer and is now available for download on the PFRA website. The issue contains:

PFRA-ternizing by George Bozeka. The organizer for the 2016 meeting covers the highlights of the weekend at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, including the release of The 1966 Green Bay Packers, the first book in the PFRA’s Great Teams in Pro Football History series. Photographs by Mark Palczewski illustrate the recap of this event.

The Class of 2016 by the Pro Football Hall of Fame. A short biography, highlights, statistics and awards from the football careers of the eight members in this year’s Hall of Fame class.

Panning for Gold: The 49ers’ First Win in the NFL Playoffs by Joe Zagorski. A look back at the victory by MVP quarterback John Brodie and San Francisco over the Minnesota Vikings’ Purple Gang in the 1970 NFC divisional round to clinch the franchise’s first postseason win in league history.

The Boz Knows: In Defense of Brian Bosworth’s Performance in Week 11, 1987 (and to Some Degree His Entire Pro Career) by Ted Kluck. The author watches videotape of the famous Monday night clash he saw as an eleven-year-old between the controversial Seahawks linebacker and the phenomenal Bo Jackson, running back for the Raiders, now with an eye towards history.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
74_75_78_79_

Re: Coffin Corner Volume 38 Number 4

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

What other teams are going to be featured in the 'Great Teams' series? How many books total? As for the Niners/Vikes game, as the Tribune article below shows, they were calling it the 'Freezer Bowl' in advance. They were forcasting sunny in the 20s (balmy for late-December Twin Cities-standards) but turned out to be 10 with a -5 windchill. Says in the article about a snowstorm being the case in the previous year's SF@Minn affair. Weren't some of you on this site saying that '70 Vikes weren't that great? No Kapp, I believe, was a reason along with that 54-13 win over Dallas an anomaly with Boys actually outgaining them in total yardage. They did sweep Lions though along with beating Rams. They convincingly avenged last year's SB in opener, then pitching a couple shutouts in the next three weeks ('Top 8 NFL Power Rankings, 1970' coming up!). Articles on the previous day's shutouts as well - Colts 17 Bengals 0, Cowboys 5 Lions 0. I'm guessing that's the only time in pro football history, NFL or any other league, that there were two playoff shutouts on the same day.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1970 ... eezer-bowl

As for Boz, my guess is that his career is (over)looked back on in the same way had it been someone else who Bo made that play on. Just that with Boz being on the receiving end, that offered the perfect artillery/excuse for anyone wanting to stomp on/write-off his NFL credibility which seemed to be most NFL-fans outside Seattle/Oklahoma. Agree?
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:What other teams are going to be featured in the 'Great Teams' series? How many books total?
The 1958 Colts will be next. We plan on doing one every two years.

If people have suggestions for teams they would like to see us cover, just let us know.

JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Ken Crippen wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:What other teams are going to be featured in the 'Great Teams' series? How many books total?

If people have suggestions for teams they would like to see us cover, just let us know.
The 1964-65 Buffalo Bills.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

JeffreyMiller wrote:
Ken Crippen wrote:

The 1964-65 Buffalo Bills.
'58 Colts? Good one! '64/'65 Bills...good suggestion! How about '42 Redskins, '45 (Cleveland) Rams? '47 Cardinals? '62 Texans? '73 Dolphins?

Also (if it's okay to include non-titleists) '42 Bears, '63 Packers, '67 Colts, '80 Falcons, '00 Titans?
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

I would think for 2020 a book on the 1950 Browns would be appropriate, being the 70th anniversary and all.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I would think for 2020 a book on the 1950 Browns would be appropriate, being the 70th anniversary and all.
Great Idea. I think if every book coincides with an anniversary of a great team it would make it more meaningful. (I think that's the intention anyway)

The 2022 book: That would be the 50th anniversary of..... any great team?..... hmmm.... I'm drawing a blank. ;)
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

ChrisBabcock wrote:Great Idea. I think if every book coincides with an anniversary of a great team it would make it more meaningful. (I think that's the intention anyway)
That is exactly the intention.

The 2022 book: That would be the 50th anniversary of..... any great team?..... hmmm.... I'm drawing a blank. ;)
The second undefeated team in history? ;)

BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I would think for 2020 a book on the 1950 Browns would be appropriate, being the 70th anniversary and all.
Then again the whole NFL in 2020 and the Browns in 2025 for a 75th anniversary.