If not Steelers/Cards in '08...

74_75_78_79_

If not Steelers/Cards in '08...

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

...who would you have liked to see in Super Bowl XLIII instead? Of course your top-seeds were Titans (13-3) and defending-Champ, Giants (12-4). Two other 12-4 teams, Indy & Carolina, were also playoff teams. Ravens were still very much in it vs Steelers in the 4th Q of the AFCC and Eagles came even closer to getting it done in their CC game. Quite a few intriguing combinations, obvious storylines for each, to think of.
conace21

Re: If not Steelers/Cards in '08...

Post by conace21 »

I think the Giants would have made it to the Super Bowl if Plaxico hadn't accidentally shot himself late in the season.
74_75_78_79_

Re: If not Steelers/Cards in '08...

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

What do you all think of the Titans that year? Amongst the many Lincoln/Kennedy-esque parallels between the '79 & '08 Steelers that I already posted on a previous thread, the Titans WERE Coryell's Chargers in this case. They were top-seed and bounced the 'Burgh in their regular season affair. I do remember, at the time, not being too worried about it. Maybe I should have been, but I kind of wrote it off as both teams already having clinched a 2nd-round bye so whatever happened that game happened. If Titans avert the upset to Ravens, do they beat Steelers again like it seems most of you in here feel SD would have done in '79? And if so, how do Titans do in a - quite interesting, actually - hypo SBXLIII vs Zona?

Two things that are similar between Fisher's Titans & Coryell's Chargers...both always had a hard time in the big one and its this very thing that always prevented me from feeling 'guilty' about '79 as well as '08. However, Fisher when having a good Titan team usually did well against the 'Burgh and as one of you in here pointed out in a previous thread, the Chargers in '79 got it done in that 35-7 regular season triumph by taking the long ball away from Terry and would have applied that again in January.

As much that is made about Steelers real tough schedule in '08, four of the toughest teams they played against were all losses - convincers at Phi & Tenn and at home to Giants & Indy albeit both them easily could have gone the other way. On the other hand, hat-trick vs Ravens! Tall task! End of day, deserving of winning-it-all, especially that historical D, but I prefer the '05 installment. More balanced on O with a still stout run-game and Hines in his prime.