All-time starting Steeler lineup, pre-Noll

74_75_78_79_

All-time starting Steeler lineup, pre-Noll

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Who are you penciling in on offense, defense, and special teams '33-thru-'68?
JuggernautJ

Re: All-time starting Steeler lineup, pre-Noll

Post by JuggernautJ »

Well, let's start with Erine Stautner (DT) and go from there.

And then add the other Steelers in the Hall of Fame:
Johnny 'Blood' McNally Back (1934, 1937-1939), Coach (1937-39)
Bill Dudley Halfback (1942, 1945-1946)
Walt Kiesling Guard (1937-1939), Coach (1939-1944, 1949-1961)
Bobby Layne QB (1958-1962)
John Henry Johnson Fullback (1960-1965)
Jack Butler Cornerback (1951-59)

Steelers my Dad would insist on:
Dick Hoak Running Back (1961-70) (Has to be on the list, you'll just have to forgive 69 & 70)
Byron "Whizzer" White Halfback (1938) and Supreme Court Justice
Fran Rogel Fullback (1950-57)

Stretching it a bit but we have some pretty famous Steagles:
Bucko Kilroy, Al Wistert, Bill Hewitt & Vic Sears (1943)

That's enough for tonight. More fun tomorrow.
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

I would add Lynn Chandnois at a halfback position and Elbe Nickel as a receiver.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

LB Andy Russell played into the Noll era but also predates it. OT Charlie Bradshaw and Frank Varrichione, WR Buddy Dial and Gary Ballman and Roy Jefferson, DE-K Lou Michaels, DT Gene Lipscomb and Joe Krupa, OLB John Reger, G John Nisby and Mike Sandusky, MG-LB Dale Dodrill, C Bill Walsh (no, not the 49ers coach), DE Ben McGee, and TE John Hilton might qualify.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I second the Dale Dodrill mention. Also, while we can all bicker and argue over which players should be on the team, I think we can all agree that Johnny Blood would be the coach of the pre-Noll Steelers team.

"The story is often told, on one occasion Blood while player- coach for Pittsburgh attended a Sunday game in Los
Angeles. Friends in the pressbox questioned Blood as to why he was on the West Coast and Blood replied that the
Steelers had an open date. The scoreboard showed otherwise. Pittsburgh was in action without the boss being
present."
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Bryan wrote:I second the Dale Dodrill mention. Also, while we can all bicker and argue over which players should be on the team, I think we can all agree that Johnny Blood would be the coach of the pre-Noll Steelers team.

"The story is often told, on one occasion Blood while player- coach for Pittsburgh attended a Sunday game in Los
Angeles. Friends in the pressbox questioned Blood as to why he was on the West Coast and Blood replied that the
Steelers had an open date. The scoreboard showed otherwise. Pittsburgh was in action without the boss being
present."
Johnny Blood and Art Rooney Sr. (reluctantly) told me that what actually happened was that the Steelers played three exhibition games, in Cincinnati, Los Angeles, and Colorado, in a five-day period to earn enough money to pay Whizzer White. John had orders to send the proceeds to Rooney ASAP because Rooney was in debt after a losing streak at the track. The total was $30,000--$10,000 for each of the exhibition games. Rooney was supposed to send John enough money to get the team back to Pittsburgh for a home game against the Eagles. He finally wired the money but it wasn't enough, so Blood sent the rest of the team back, with Walt Kiesling in charge. After the game against the Eagles, Rooney finally wired him enough money so he could get back to Pittsburgh.

Rooney told the spurious story many, many times. He told me it was a "much better story" than the truth.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

We've about got a full modern-era team except for DBs. In addition to Jack Butler, maybe add Clendon Thomas, Marv Woodson, and Brady Keys?