DuMont Network NFL Broadcast Question(s)

NWebster

DuMont Network NFL Broadcast Question(s)

Post by NWebster »

From Wikipedia - if that can be trusted - they only broadcast Giants games in 1952, but did they broadcast all of them?

Was Harry Wismer's "National Pro Highlights" a DuMont production? If so where did they get film from the non NY games as early as 1952?
oldecapecod11

Re: DuMont Network NFL Broadcast Question(s)

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by NWebster » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:00 am

"From Wikipedia - if that can be trusted - they only broadcast Giants games in 1952, but did they broadcast all of them?
Was Harry Wismer's "National Pro Highlights" a DuMont production? If so where did they get film from the non NY games as early as 1952?
"

Wikipedia seems to be an excellent starting point for many searches - mainly because the site provides as many References as possible.
Generally, it is with those references that the veracity of the Wiki article can be proved or disproved (to the satisfaction of the reader.)
But, this does not answer your first question.

Some time ago, during another search, a site with a newspaper-like TV schedule was discovered. (If found again, a link will be posted.)
However, the recollection is that it simply listed "Pro Football" (early on) or "NFL Football" toward the mid-'50s. Then, of course, DuMont passed on.
There did not seem to be any specific listing regarding the Giants.
Personally, 1952 was the year attending Giants' games became much more likely than watching them on television so, hopefully, someone else will have greater recall.
As an aside, 1950 or 1951 was when our first TV set appeared and, between homework, sports, other play and chores,
viewing time was limited and subject to successful completion of those named activities.

The attached link leads to a list of programs broadcast by DuMont and also includes a time-line showing most of those programs.
The word "Giants" is not used once.
In fact, football seems to be far outnumbered by wrestling and boxing shows and even Bingo at Home was a solid favorite for 3 years.

The Pro Football Highlights (1951-1953) starred a guy named Steve Owen and neither National Pro Highlights nor Harry Wismer appears anywhere in the list.
National Pro Highlights was an ABC network production and appeared only on local stations that could find a sponsor for the half hour. Those were rare.
Harry Wismer's popularity was on the wane - especially among his peers who later claimed he took Titans' attendance by counting lightbulbs under the overhangs and in the dark passages of the Polo Grounds.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

As with networks today, DuMont did regional broadcasts, and it may well be that the Wikipedia article author lived in the New York TV market area. A look at one month's 1952 TV schedules from different papers, however, indicates that DuMont liked the Cleveland Browns as much or more than the Giants.

November 2- Cleveland at Detroit, Philadelphia at Green Bay (DuMont); New York at Chicago Cardinals (ABC)
November 9- San Francisco at New York, Chicago at Cleveland (DuMont); Green Bay at Chicago Bears (ABC)
November 16- Pittsburgh at Cleveland (DuMont)
November 23- New York at Washington, Philadelphia at Cleveland (DuMont), Detroit at Chicago Bears (ABC)
November 30- Cleveland at Washington and Philadelphia at Chicago Cardinals (DuMont)
NWebster

Post by NWebster »

So in reviving this dated thread. I've seen coaches film, highlight files and a single 50's broadcast game. Has anybody seen or are there any surviving Dumont game films. I understand the film's themselves where largely melted down for the value of the silver when they went out of business. Sad.

Expanding the thread mildly, what are other known lost items. We know of the recently found AAFC trophy for example. I don't know that film exists of the 1929 championship game, so I cannot know it's lost. But what do we know existed and is lost?
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Wismer's "National Pro Highlights" was produced by Wallace Orr at Tel Ra. (Tel Ra filmed every NFL game.) Wismer was done w/ that show after the 1952 season and Leaming took over full time.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Mark L. Ford wrote:As with networks today, DuMont did regional broadcasts, and it may well be that the Wikipedia article author lived in the New York TV market area. A look at one month's 1952 TV schedules from different papers, however, indicates that DuMont liked the Cleveland Browns as much or more than the Giants.

November 2- Cleveland at Detroit, Philadelphia at Green Bay (DuMont); New York at Chicago Cardinals (ABC)
November 9- San Francisco at New York, Chicago at Cleveland (DuMont); Green Bay at Chicago Bears (ABC)
November 16- Pittsburgh at Cleveland (DuMont)
November 23- New York at Washington, Philadelphia at Cleveland (DuMont), Detroit at Chicago Bears (ABC)
November 30- Cleveland at Washington and Philadelphia at Chicago Cardinals (DuMont)
I wonder if that November 2 game was the first one televised from Green Bay?

I do remember the first time a game was televised from City Stadium, but I can't put a date on it. I saw all the home games, as well as the two Chicago games, from the press box with my father in those days. The press box included two radio booths but a separate booth had to be built for the television broadcast. It was built next to the press box, a short distance away but accessible by the same steps. There was just a single camera, mounted on top of the press box, at the 50-yard line. The very odd thing to me was that the announcer sat with his back to the field. I said something about it and my father explained that he was watching the game on a monitor on the back wall of his booth.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I bought some of the Tel Ra productions from a company called Rare Sports Films. I have no affiliation with them, I talked to the owner - he was helpful - I even asked him about the copyright and he said that he has a lawyer to make sure on that kind of stuff. I had no interest in digging into it - I was happy to get the film - I'd rather have an actual game, but it was still good. Even with just a couple minutes of say 49ers or Lions highlights from the 50s, you'll see Perry, McELhenny, Layne, Doak Walker, maybe Title, maybe JHJ. I wish I could get footage from the 30s or 20s like that.......
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

The guy has been around since 1995 with no apparent problems.
A concerned party could order a certificate or check with the BBB.
Understand, the BBB generally reports favorably on their membership so caveat emptor.
Attachments
rsi.jpg
rsi.jpg (155.6 KiB) Viewed 13281 times
~ Arnie Weinmeister
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

My experience was great - I ordered 4 DVDs - the quality was very good, well packaged etc.

The thing I was wondering is take Youtube for example, I've seen cases where an NFL game is there one day and another day it's down and there is a message about copyright. I find this kind of annoying because I'd be willing to buy old footage, but I assume it isn't profitable to produce and sell. The only thing I ever was able to buy on say Amazon that I liked was the NFL Top 100. Nothing else that is widely available has ever impressed me... But say you want to buy SB III. Is it possible? I would say yes. Is it legal? I'm guessing not....
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

With a large number of law enforcement people as family and friends, you can be quite sure
pirated football films are not anywhere near the top of their agenda.
Now-a-days, they are too busy ducking bullets and lying for people like the stealers #7
or withholding possible evidence a la the OJ bozo.
There's a person who should lose his pension if ever there was one.
~ Arnie Weinmeister