ACFL Statistics

cbyrum

ACFL Statistics

Post by cbyrum »

Hello, I am back in the PFRA after a long absence. I need some help with a research project I am working on.

Does anyone have complete or near complete Team and Individual stats for the ACFL. Primarily the years 66-71 but I will take all active years.

If you do please reply here or contact me directly at cmbyrum@swbell.net

Any help or assistance would be appreciated. I live in Texas but I am even considering a trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame to see if they have anything in the archives.

Thanks,

Chris
oldecapecod11

Re: ACFL Statistics

Post by oldecapecod11 »

cbyrum wrote:Hello, I am back in the PFRA after a long absence. I need some help with a research project I am working on.

Does anyone have complete or near complete Team and Individual stats for the ACFL. Primarily the years 66-71 but I will take all active years.

Any help or assistance would be appreciated. I live in Texas but I am even considering a trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame to see if they have anything in the archives.

Thanks,

Chris
You might try to contact the survivors of George Schepps for whom Schepps Palm Field was named in Corpus Christi, Texas.
It was a minor league field and home to the short-lived Corpus Christi Clippers of the Big State League from 1954 to 1957,
and the Corpus Christi Giants from 1958 to 1959.
Schepps was the former Texas Football League Commissioner and became commish of the Continental Football League
which was formed, in part, from the ashes of the ACFL.
George was quite a keeper of records.
You might also contact the family of Cosmo Iacovazzi who was ACFL Commissioner and the uncle of Cosmo Iacovazzi,
the Princeton All-American Fullback. The Ivies keep excellent track of their alums so that should not be difficult.
There is about 49 pages of data here (arial, 12 point, in a cardboard box in the basement.)
(Unfortunately, that Member / visitor designation was lost when the junky software was chosen.)
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
cbyrum

Post by cbyrum »

OldCapeCod,

Thanks for the info, I will search for those individuals. You mention something about 49 pages of data but there is nothing posted. Did you attempt to attaché a document? If so, it did not work.

could you email it to "cmbyrum@swbell.net" if you did.

thanks,

Chris
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Here's a couple more guys that can probably help you. Their main focus was baseball and, as an offshoot, the Texas Baseball Hall of Fame. Here is also a picture of a guy most Texians remember. He played for the Corpus Christi team before heading to the land where God left His cleats - the Big Apple. He wore #44, in college, with the CC BB team, and in NY.

When George Schepps died in 1998, the reins of TBHOF leadership passed on to two passionate historians of the game, Mr. Howard Green of Fort Worth and Mr. Fred Burley of Dallas. Both men have dedicated their lives to the promotion of baseball - and to the preservation of the game’s history in the State of Texas. Both are men of great integrity.
~ File excerpt
Attachments
BIO 44 BB.jpg
BIO 44 BB.jpg (48.94 KiB) Viewed 14409 times
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

Here's a link to the obituary of George Schepp's wife Lynn. It is old but, after checking, it is still active.
It will give you the names of the Schepps' children. It shows no indication of children with her second husband.
While this seems to be very baseball-oriented, keep in mind there seems to be only three religions in Texas:
Baptist, Methodist, and Football - so any sports-oriented person will ultimately think football first.
Another excellent source of help could be the Dallas chapter of SABR. That organization is far more advanced
than ours and they usually have excellent inter- and intrasports networking capabilities. People there have
always seemed to be ready and willing to be of assistance and avoid taking advantage of opportunities
to excessively bloviate. We seem to have made an effort to turn in that direction since the First of the year.
By the way, the fellow in the photo is Kyle Rote.
Here's the link...

http://www.jekeevermortuary.com/fh/obit ... h_id=13137
~ Arnie Weinmeister
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

cbyrum wrote:Hello, I am back in the PFRA after a long absence. I need some help with a research project I am working on.

Thanks,

Chris
Tod Maher's website might help you: http://www.profootballarchives.com/.

He has info on the ACFL.
Mark L. Ford
Site Moderator

Post by Mark L. Ford »

I'd add that Bob Gill (with Tod Maher and Steve Brainerd) wrote "Outsiders II: Minor League and Independent Football 1951-1985", which has the statistical leaders for the ACFL during its seasons, along with the game scores and standings-- this would have been based on things like media guides, with the stats abridged to fit the requirements of a publisher (since the book is about several leagues, not just the ACFL). You might want to send a private message to one of them.
cbyrum

Post by cbyrum »

Great ideas, I will attempt to contact them.

Thanks,

Chris
StevenBrainerd

Post by StevenBrainerd »

Hi Chris.

It's sometime since your query about the ACFL stats. The complete year known is 1970. After many years looking that's it. Some single team stats have shown up and some good lists for 63-64 and 65. Contact me stevenmbrainerd03@prodigy.net if you haven't gotten anything.