Why QBs rarely ever become HCs, especially starters or stars

Reaser

Re: Why QBs rarely ever become HCs, especially starters or s

Post by Reaser »

JuggernautJ wrote:Thew only thing I have to add is to mention John Elway and the job he has been doing with the Broncos at the helm.
This. Probably should have already been mentioned but exactly. Plus there's already been different rumors from different years about Peyton becoming part-owner (w/control, possibly an Elway role) of the Titans.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

In the 1970's, it was said "great quarterbacks don't make good coaches." The examples were Waterfield, Graham, and Van Brocklin. When Bart Starr was hired as Packer coach in 1975, he was asked about it and answered "I didn't have the ability they had." Starr meant that being less talented than those three would enable him to relate better to players.
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

by BD Sullivan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:00 am
"I've noted the Bob Griese quote before, but it seems relevant to mention it again: he was a Dolphins' assistant the year after he retired, then went into broadcasting. When asked why, his comment was along the lines of, 'If you want to fall of the face of the earth, become an assistant coach.'"
BD Sullivan

Isn't it funny... when a championship team is invited to the White House, you never see an assistant coach or a vice-president?
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

JuggernautJ wrote: The only thing I have to add is to mention John Elway and the job he has been doing with the Broncos at the helm.
Of course, if he doesn't sign Manning, his performance might not be so stellar.