Super Bowl I rebroadcast on NFL Network

Reaser

Re: Super Bowl I rebroadcast on NFL Network

Post by Reaser »

rhickok1109 wrote:That's why I stopped going to Super Bowl parties. I was usually the only person actually watching the game. (And the only one who didn't watch the halftime show.)
It's why I never even went to any SB parties to begin with. I think in my entire lifetime I've only watched the Super Bowl with other people in the room three times. With one friend and my parents when I was like 7-9 years old, and they all knew to sit in silence.

Otherwise, as a kid I was locked in my own room and as adult I sit in an empty house. Always wanted to watch the actual game, not use the Super Bowl as an excuse to 'party' - if I want to eat a bunch of snacks and have people talking about things that don't matter I can literally do that any day of the year when football isn't on. Never understood the Super Bowl party thing ...

Being able to pause and rewind TV was a great invention, as I also don't watch the halftime shows. i just rewind and FF through parts of the first half, which you can almost see all of it again in the time it takes for the asinine halftime show.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Reaser wrote:Being able to pause and rewind TV was a great invention, as I also don't watch the halftime shows. i just rewind and FF through parts of the first half, which you can almost see all of it again in the time it takes for the asinine halftime show.
Somehow that strikes me as very funny. I can't do all that fancy pausing and rewinding on my TV, so I guess I'd never thought of that being possible -- or almost possible, as you said.

In the cases where the Super Bowl is a really good game, I often think it's a credit to the players that they can block out all the ridiculous distractions and stay focused on what they're supposed to do on the field.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Bob Gill wrote:
Reaser wrote:Being able to pause and rewind TV was a great invention, as I also don't watch the halftime shows. i just rewind and FF through parts of the first half, which you can almost see all of it again in the time it takes for the asinine halftime show.
In the cases where the Super Bowl is a really good game, I often think it's a credit to the players that they can block out all the ridiculous distractions and stay focused on what they're supposed to do on the field.
Like the story about Joe Montana right before he led the game-winning drive in SB XIII against the Bengals. He supposedly was in the huddle facing the crowd and spotted John Candy. :lol:
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Sorry if someone already posted this but the NFL N is going to try to do it right this Friday:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ ... 1.11340477
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JohnH19 wrote:Sorry if someone already posted this but the NFL N is going to try to do it right this Friday:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ ... 1.11340477
Reminder, for those interested, that this is tonight 5pm (on the best coast, 8pm ET) so watch it or set your recording devices.

I tuned out the talking heads fairly well the first time around, though it definitely distracted from what I was most interested in (watching the game footage) ... So a rewatch of just the game footage is a must, for me.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

After reading a couple of descriptions based on previews, I didn't watch the show they ran last week, and I'm glad of that, because from what I read after it, it sounds like it was even worse than I imagined. But I think what they're showing tonight is excellent. They've spliced the various sources together very well, as far as I can see, and the in-between stuff -- the short lead-in about the merger, and now this interview with Len Dawson -- is fine too. Really glad I tuned in this time.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bob Gill wrote:After reading a couple of descriptions based on previews, I didn't watch the show they ran last week, and I'm glad of that, because from what I read after it, it sounds like it was even worse than I imagined. But I think what they're showing tonight is excellent. They've spliced the various sources together very well, as far as I can see, and the in-between stuff -- the short lead-in about the merger, and now this interview with Len Dawson -- is fine too. Really glad I tuned in this time.
They had the lead-in and interview (and other interviews) last week but presentation wise, tonight is essentially a complete 180.

I hope it gets good ratings and reviews so NFLN realizes there's a an audience for things like this. Unfortunately I'm thinking many probably will miss out, especially those who casually tuned in last week when it was more hyped up, and aren't aware of the replay/essentially different program like those of us here are/would be.

If they had ran tonight last week instead, I'm thinking there would have been great and positive reviews.

Hope it doesn't turn into a: "we did history stuff and people watched but they didn't like it! Then a week later we gave them what they wanted and no one watched!" ... and use that as an excuse to replay "Top 10" shows over and over and over. Instead of realizing that if they had done it correctly the first time around, it would have been better for everyone involved.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Reaser wrote:Hope it doesn't turn into a: "we did history stuff and people watched but they didn't like it! Then a week later we gave them what they wanted and no one watched!" ... and use that as an excuse to replay "Top 10" shows over and over and over. Instead of realizing that if they had done it correctly the first time around, it would have been better for everyone involved.
I'm almost discouraged already, because it's easy to imagine some executives thinking out exactly the way you described it.

But on the bright side, they did run it this way, so maybe somebody high enough in the pipeline thought the first presentation wasn't very good and wanted to try it again. That's what we can hope for, anyway.

As for the footage itself, it looked to me line the offensive linemen were much higher off the ground in their stances, kind of like they do today when they're gonna pass block and don't care if everybody knows, but without a hand on the ground. (I think they HAD to have one hand on the ground in those days, no matter what, didn't they?) As a result, Bart Starr, in particular, was standing almost completely upright when he took the snap.

Jim Taylor looked pretty good running the ball -- more agile than I remembered. And he was well past his prime (1960-64) by 1966, so much so that the Packers let him go to the Saints a year later.

I liked the way, on third-and-11, say, both teams would throw a pass of 12 or 15 yards, just about every time. These days I've gotten so used to seeing four-yard passes in those situations that I sometimes think they must've done that in the old days too, and maybe I just forgot.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bob Gill wrote:As for the footage itself, it looked to me line the offensive linemen were much higher off the ground in their stances ...

Jim Taylor looked pretty good running the ball -- more agile than I remembered. And he was well past his prime (1960-64) by 1966, so much so that the Packers let him go to the Saints a year later.
I think watching the line play was most fascinating. The LB's also, especially Bell.

Taylor even had good runs when the legendary Packers OL'men didn't give him the greatest blocking (in their defense, KC's DL and again, Bell ... )

Jim Taylor is a longtime favorite of mine, if I can go slightly off topic here. By the early 90's, when I was a kid, when I talked about my favorite football players (after listing all the Seahawks, of course) I would say Deion Sanders (my favorite player) then I would say Jim Taylor and Jack Lambert. Now, my parents were awesome and ordered me a ton of NFL Films VHS's, and the MNF VHS's and SI VHS's, etc and I re-watched those over and over but really I was seeing Taylor and Lambert (and the "Holy Roller" clip and "The Sea of Hands" clip, etc) over and over on TV as a kid.

Things like the 1980 Browns NFL Films, I didn't even have that on VHS (do now), but I knew it by heart and could recall the entire program by the time I was 10 because I had seen it so many times on TV. Or 1987 with the cheesy "Road to the Super Bowl" song that for some reason I thought was amazing as a kid ("if you hit, that road with all your soul" ha!) knew the entire program and I didn't have a copy of that either (do now), it just was replayed on TV so many times that I knew it. Just like Packers NFL Films programming, where I thought Jim Taylor was amazing and loved how he ran the ball and I knew all the Lambert clips, the Browns, throwing down Cliff Harris, etc ... It was all just on TV and I saw it all multiple times a year every year growing up.

It's crazy to me that now, with a million channels, that kids don't see these things growing up anymore. They should be seeing the '96 Jags team HL film (a personal favorite of mine) 10 times a year while they're watching one of the million ESPN's or while watching NFLN, they should have seen the "Greatest Games" of the "Tuck Rule" so many times by now that they can recall the entire program start to finish, they should know Emmitt Smith's run against the Falcons, Barry Sanders against the Pats, those images should be burned in their memory. They aren't, because they are never shown. It's sad.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Reaser wrote:
Bob Gill wrote:As for the footage itself, it looked to me line the offensive linemen were much higher off the ground in their stances ...

I think watching the line play was most fascinating. The LB's also, especially Bell.

Taylor even had good runs when the legendary Packers OL'men didn't give him the greatest blocking (in their defense, KC's DL and again, Bell ... )

Jim Taylor is a longtime favorite of mine, if I can go slightly off topic here. By the early 90's, when I was a kid, when I talked about my favorite football players (after listing all the Seahawks, of course) I would say Deion Sanders (my favorite player) then I would say Jim Taylor and Jack Lambert. Now, my parents were awesome and ordered me a ton of NFL Films VHS's, and the MNF VHS's and SI VHS's, etc and I re-watched those over and over but really I was seeing Taylor and Lambert (and the "Holy Roller" clip and "The Sea of Hands" clip, etc) over and over on TV as a kid.

Things like the 1980 Browns NFL Films, I didn't even have that on VHS (do now), but I knew it by heart and could recall the entire program by the time I was 10 because I had seen it so many times on TV. Or 1987 with the cheesy "Road to the Super Bowl" song that for some reason I thought was amazing as a kid ("if you hit, that road with all your soul" ha!) knew the entire program and I didn't have a copy of that either (do now), it just was replayed on TV so many times that I knew it. Just like Packers NFL Films programming, where I thought Jim Taylor was amazing and loved how he ran the ball and I knew all the Lambert clips, the Browns, throwing down Cliff Harris, etc ... It was all just on TV and I saw it all multiple times a year every year growing up.

It's crazy to me that now, with a million channels, that kids don't see these things growing up anymore. They should be seeing the '96 Jags team HL film (a personal favorite of mine) 10 times a year while they're watching one of the million ESPN's or while watching NFLN, they should have seen the "Greatest Games" of the "Tuck Rule" so many times by now that they can recall the entire program start to finish, they should know Emmitt Smith's run against the Falcons, Barry Sanders against the Pats, those images should be burned in their memory. They aren't, because they are never shown. It's sad.
Have you ever seen a clip of the TD Jim Taylor scored to win the 1966 season opener against the Browns? The Packers trailed 20-14 late in the game and had the ball 4th and goal on the Browns 9 yard line. Starr threw Taylor a pass in the right flat with no blockers in front of him and three Browns. Taylor got by all three and scored to give the Packers a 21-20 victory. It's in the Packers 1966 highlight film.