Film about Football (1990s?)

BD Sullivan

Re: Film about Football (1990s?)

Post by BD Sullivan »

mwald wrote:"Everybody's All-American" with Dennis Quaid was pretty good. Thought it showed a realistic portrayal of the difficulties transitioning from the college game to the pro game.
Wasn't that supposed to be a fictional take on Billy Cannon--without the post-career counterfeiting?
mwald

Post by mwald »

BD Sullivan wrote:
mwald wrote:"Everybody's All-American" with Dennis Quaid was pretty good. Thought it showed a realistic portrayal of the difficulties transitioning from the college game to the pro game.
Wasn't that supposed to be a fictional take on Billy Cannon--without the post-career counterfeiting?
Apparently many people have surmised that, although Frank Deford (who wrote the book the movie was based on) denies it. I've never read the book but it's sure a good movie. There's not a lot of on-field action, but seems like it gives a fairly accurate depiction of the life of a football player from college, pro, through retirement.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

mwald wrote:
BD Sullivan wrote:
Apparently many people have surmised that, although Frank Deford (who wrote the book the movie was based on) denies it. I've never read the book but it's sure a good movie. There's not a lot of on-field action, but seems like it gives a fairly accurate depiction of the life of a football player from college, pro, through retirement.
If I'm not mistaken, Quaid sustained an actual shoulder separation on one of the tackles.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

"Everybody's All-American" is great. I always like the Broncos-Patriots scene in the snow.

"The Program" is also great, that came out when I was playing youth football and it was a favorite among my teammates and myself.

I like football movies, even most of the 'bad' ones.

Also can't help but love movies about high school football, like "Varsity Blues" came out when I was playing HS football. My friends/teammates and I still quote Coach Kilmer to this day.

I like the book more than the movie (or show) but "Friday Night Lights" I like, too. Reminds me of my town (minus the racism) and the importance of HS football and winning. Good quotes from the movie version of Gary Gaines in the movie, too. I appreciate when people take football as serious as it's supposed to be taken.
Andrew McKillop

Post by Andrew McKillop »

Everybody's All-American is a great film. One of my favorite scenes is when Quaid rips on the Broncos. He said something along the lines, "the Broncos are so f-ed up they can't even get the stripes on their socks right".

I can't say I like too many of the other movies mentioned. I liked the cinematography in All the Right Moves. But the plot and soundtrack were awful to the point of comedy.
http://www.subzin.com/quotes/M89224311/ ... %2C+huh%3F

Varsity Blues was essentially a '90s/MTV remake of All the Right Moves. Although I did like the soundtrack.

Wildcats? I browsed the pits of YouTube to find a trailer. Thankfully I'm an "ESPNer" and never had to hear about that movie until now.

It wasn't a football movie but Diner had some great football-related quotes. "Hey, she could've been a Steelers fan" in defense of a Colts-themed wedding.

And who else wishes Kevin Costner would've built a football field in Field of Dreams?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097351/quo ... =qt0314977
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I liked Friday Night Lights - I thought it hit on a lot of right notes - the relationship of the FB with his Father, an ending that wasn't a traditional hollywood victory, and my favorite scene was the final one where the coach was dropping the pieces with the player names of the graduating class to the floor - showing the cyclical nature of the whole thing.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:my favorite scene was the final one where the coach was dropping the pieces with the player names of the graduating class to the floor - showing the cyclical nature of the whole thing.
That was one of many great scenes and I liked it, too. Especially for it's accuracy on how you put it, the cyclical nature.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Have seen a lot of films but not many football films. The two I remember watching were okay but not top-drawer: "The Longest Yard" and "Heaven Can Wait."
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

bachslunch wrote:Have seen a lot of films but not many football films. The two I remember watching were okay but not top-drawer: "The Longest Yard" and "Heaven Can Wait."
I presume with The Longest Yard, you mean the original, not the embarrassing remake. It's just a coincidence, but Eddie Albert, who played the brutal warden in the original, died on the day the sequel opened.