Worst 1-15 Team?

JWL

Re: Worst 1-15 Team?

Post by JWL »

The 1991 Colts beat the Jets so it is a good chance they are the correct answer. The Jets are the type of franchise that would lose to the worst team of all time. And, yes, I know the 1980 Saints also got their win vs the Jets.

For a more serious answer, I would go with the 1990 Patriots. I didn't do any sort of statistical study. I just went off memory of how pathetic they were. The 2001 Panthers are good competition, though. They maybe caught their Week 1 opponent off guard. At that point, they proved all they needed to prove.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

'92 Seahawks are definitely the best 2-14 ever; and better than many teams throughout history who won more games.

To those who say the '90 Pats are the worst 1-15 team, very likely, which then begs kudos to Dick MacPherson on the job he did in '91 (maybe the best 6-10 team ever). Had they excused 1992's letdown and allowed Mac on for another year, who knows how he would have fared. Upon taking over NE in '91, considering he didn't have much at QB, I'm surprised he didn't snatch up his star QB at Syracuse, Don McPherson, before he vanished off into the CFL. I'm sure there are those up in Syracuse who feel that despite Don having a very unsuccessful pro career, maybe under this particular system - playing for his former coach (familiarity) and not having the likes of Cunningham and Moon to compete with - he may have actually done well in NE. In either event, however, a pointless enough what-if in that had Dick been allowed on as HC for '93, there'd be no Parcells and likely no Hoodie later on. End of day, I guess you can look at Dick's two-year stint up in Foxboro in the same way you can look at Bud Wilkinson's time in StL.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I'll throw the 1996 Jets in the mix for the dubious honor of greatest 1-15 team of all time. They passed for nearly 4,000 yards (back when it was considered impressive to do so) . They had a 1,200 yard rusher.

They lost to Miami by 3 pts, lost to Philly by 1 pt, lost to Indy by 5 pts, lost to N.E. by 4 pts, lost to Buffalo by 3 pts, lost to NYG by 7 pts, lost to Jax by 4 pts

Really they were a 5 win team that just got horrible luck.