Ted Marchibroda or Steve Mariucci?

74_75_78_79_

Ted Marchibroda or Steve Mariucci?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Who's best between these two HCs, each with four playoff appearances along with a CC-berth to boot? Also what both have in common is struggling in their latter tenures with Ravens and Lions respectively.

Ted made it to the playoffs three straight years in the '70s in the super-tough (only four get in) AFC and was a hair shy of the SB almost 20 years later in his 2nd tenure with Colts. As for Steve, some will say he 'inherited' Seifert's playoff caliber Niners. To his credit, however, he did get through their '99/'00 slump and tacked on two more playoff appearances before being let go. Had he stood around the Bay after '02, who knows? Same can be said for Ted had he stayed in Indy after '95.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
BD Sullivan

Re: Ted Marchibroda or Steve Mariucci?

Post by BD Sullivan »

Marchibroda, since he got two Colts teams (one in Baltimore, one in Indy) to the postseason. In Baltimore, he had three solid seasons, then Jones was hurt and the Colts were screwed. In Indy, he upset Marty in KC and then was a few inches away from getting them to the Super Bowl on the near-Hail Mary. Oh, probably the biggest reason: he had to deal with Robert Irsay in Baltimore; not sure how involved the elder still was at that point in Indy. Then, he went on to deal with another idiot owner in Modell for three years.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

RIP Ted.

Just found out a half an hour ago. Former Steeler QB who brought Hoodie into the league 40 years ago this season.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:RIP Ted.

Just found out a half an hour ago. Former Steeler QB who brought Hoodie into the league 40 years ago this season.
Thanks to Daddy Belichick, who had a good rep as an advance scout at nearby Annapolis.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:RIP Ted.

In addition to that:

Developed the Bills "K-Gun" offense in Buffalo.

George Allen's OC with the "Over the Hill Gang"

And the greatest thing he did for Baltimore, beat out Johnny Unitas for a Steelers roster spot. :D
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

What were the circumstances around Marchibroda's departure from the Colts after the 1995 season? Seems like an odd time to fire him, even by Irsay family standards.

Marchibroda was more of a genius-type while, to me, Mariucci was too much of a meathead. I would take Marchibroda no question.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

Bryan wrote:What were the circumstances around Marchibroda's departure from the Colts after the 1995 season? Seems like an odd time to fire him, even by Irsay family standards.

Marchibroda was more of a genius-type while, to me, Mariucci was too much of a meathead. I would take Marchibroda no question.
From what I recall, the Colts GM Bill Tobin, felt like Lindy Infante was the man behind Indy's success. I found these articles that helped me remember. Ironically Infante passed away recently, in Oct 2015.

Also, read the next to last paragraph in the Chicago Tribune article. Can you imagine those two together? Would've been interesting.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 2111&hl=en

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1996 ... dy-infante
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Marchibroda temporarily quit as head coach just prior to the start of the 1976 season due to interference from Irsay and Joe Thomas. After the players were on the verge of mutiny, they came to an agreement to bring Marchibroda back, which greased the skids to push out Thomas--who moved on to SF and nearly destroyed them.