Marvin Lewis

rebelx24

Marvin Lewis

Post by rebelx24 »

It was just announced that Mike Brown is still planning on retaining Lewis as head coach. Not really surprising given all the years he's already been given a pass, plus, he was missing his starting QB for this game. Nevertheless, Burfict's meltdown near the end of Saturday's game would seem to speak of a lack of discipline being instilled in the players by the coaching staff, and a guy like Schottenheimer paid the price for that, at least in part, after 2006.

I guess I'm just wondering, at what point do we start seriously considering the possibility that Lewis just isn't the guy to take this franchise to the next level?
mwald

Re: Marvin Lewis

Post by mwald »

Well, it's the million dollar question right now.

Any other franchise, you might debate it. The Bengals? Be careful what you ask for.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

rebelx24 wrote:what point do we start seriously considering the possibility that Lewis just isn't the guy to take this franchise to the next level?
Getting them to the playoffs is the next level, for this franchise.
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Mike Brown pay a coach NOT to coach? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I think that Lewis is the ideal choice for the topic "Best coach to make the posteason, but never win one playoff game". He has qualified to the playoffs in six of the last seven seasons (he had another postseason appearence in 2005, yet he hasn't been able to win a game). And if you look at the Bengals roster, he has many players who have started in the past and can be starters on another teams (Giovani Bernard, Mohamed Sanu, Wallace Gilberry, Emmanuel Lamur, Leon Hall, Shawn Williams)
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Teo wrote:I think that Lewis is the ideal choice for the topic "Best coach to make the posteason, but never win one playoff game". He has qualified to the playoffs in six of the last seven seasons (he had another postseason appearence in 2005, yet he hasn't been able to win a game). And if you look at the Bengals roster, he has many players who have started in the past and can be starters on another teams (Giovani Bernard, Mohamed Sanu, Wallace Gilberry, Emmanuel Lamur, Leon Hall, Shawn Williams)
George Allen came very close, with 1972 getting him his only two victories in eight games total.
mwald

Post by mwald »

Reading the news of Hue Jackson's hire as head coach of the Browns gave me pause.

Jay Gruden and Mike Zimmer were also hired out of Cincinnati. I have Ron Rivera as NFL coach of the year, with Zimmer and Gruden bubbling under.

Zimmer's proven to be everything the Vikings hoped he'd be. And if coach of the year were awarded to coaches who succeeded under trying circumstances, how could you deny Gruden? If you can succeed under Danny Boy "the pipes, the pipes are calling" Snyder, you can succeed anywhere.

For a guy who hasn't won a playoff game, Lewis is building quite a coaching tree.

Maybe it's the franchise?