Super Bowl I rebroadcast on NFL Network

65 toss power trap

Super Bowl I rebroadcast on NFL Network

Post by 65 toss power trap »

So I saw this little gem in my program guide...

https://twitter.com/footballzebras/stat ... 8759467008

Although I wouldn't put it past NFL Network to be playing fast and loose with the term "re-broadcast," could this finally be the re-assemblage of the extant footage of the CBS and NBC broadcasts? Or will it be snippets glued together by modern-day interviews? Why do I feel I am falsely getting my hopes up?

If it is the actual broadcast, why is it that this is not incessantly promoted by the league/network/TV partners/twitters/facebooks/passenger pigeons? Oh, right. It happened before 1990.

It apparently will only air Friday 1/15 at 8-10p.m. Eastern with a re-air at midnight the same night.
Reaser

Re: Super Bowl I rebroadcast on NFL Network

Post by Reaser »

I saw a release for this yesterday. It said "never before seen footage" so hopefully, at a minimum, that part is true.

Would think if it was a true "re-broadcast" it would be big news and NFLN would have promoted it by now.
NFL500

Post by NFL500 »

I am guardedly optimistic that it will include footage from the CBS telecast which the Paley Center for Media restored some years ago. Then again, it is listed as an NFL Films presentation and rebroadcasting could mean a radio broadcast of the game, with the game action consisting solely of NFL Films footage. My hope is that the program will present all the surviving broadcast footage and use NFL Films material to fill gaps in coverage when necessary. I also hope they'll use audio from both the NBC and CBS telecasts and, if needed, Jim Simpson and George Ratterman's call of the game on radio. Fingers crossed!
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

NFL500 wrote:I am guardedly optimistic that it will include footage from the CBS telecast which the Paley Center for Media restored some years ago. Then again, it is listed as an NFL Films presentation and rebroadcasting could mean a radio broadcast of the game, with the game action consisting solely of NFL Films footage. My hope is that the program will present all the surviving broadcast footage and use NFL Films material to fill gaps in coverage when necessary. I also hope they'll use audio from both the NBC and CBS telecasts and, if needed, Jim Simpson and George Ratterman's call of the game on radio. Fingers crossed!
I'm also expecting a lot of modern interview snippets from Jerry Kramer and Len Dawson. The NFL never purchased whatever that guy had in his attic, so I'm guessing that NFL Films went thru every bit of film they shot for Super Bowl I along with all surviving network footage and put this together. NFL Films and HBO did a documentary about 10 years ago on Super Bowl I, but it was more of the events leading up to the game but there was a lot of game footage in it. I have already set my DVR for this show but I doubt there is little in this that I have not already seen or have in my personal archives.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Saw a commercial for it tonight. It said "presented in it's entirety" but also said that it was hosted by Chris Rose and there would be other talking heads along with former players.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Reaser wrote:...but also said that it was hosted by Chris Rose and there would be other talking heads along with former players.
YUCK! That's definitely not a good thing.

Here's another link with info about the broadcast:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/lon ... li=BBnb7Kz
MatthewToy

Post by MatthewToy »

According to Awful Announcing it's just gonna be NFL Films footage.
single wing

Post by single wing »

Still will enjoy seeing it. I grew up being a AFL fan while my dad was pure NFL. When this game occurred i was 10 and I thought the AFL Chiefs would teach my dad that the AFL was better . For one year after my dad told me the AFL was just bush league. The next year I thought the Raiders would do it. Oh well another year of suffering. Funny is year three i really didn't think the Jets could but when they did it was redemption. Then when the Chiefs won it in year four my dad said "Son you were right the AFL is just as good if not better."
NFL500

Post by NFL500 »

From what I've seen in the preview for this program, some of the the game footage has the unmistakable look of videotape, which isn't all that surprising. Even though the most complete version of CBS' broadcast of the game is apparently not part of this reconstruction, due to the failure of the NFL and the man who has it to reach a deal that would permit its use, it's known that snippets of NBC's and CBS' coverage that day have survived.

I'm hopeful that high ratings for this telecast will encourage the NFL to do full reconstructions of other classic games, permitting more vintage broadcast footage to once again see the light of day, such as the 1967 Ice Bowl. I know clips of Boyd Dowler's two touchdowns still exist. I'd love to know if that's also true of Dan Reeves' halfback option touchdown pass to Lance Rentzel and Bart Starr's game-winning QB sneak.
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

NFL500 wrote:From what I've seen in the preview for this program, some of the the game footage has the unmistakable look of videotape, which isn't all that surprising. Even though the most complete version of CBS' broadcast of the game is apparently not part of this reconstruction, due to the failure of the NFL and the man who has it to reach a deal that would permit its use, it's known that snippets of NBC's and CBS' coverage that day have survived.

I'm hopeful that high ratings for this telecast will encourage the NFL to do full reconstructions of other classic games, permitting more vintage broadcast footage to once again see the light of day, such as the 1967 Ice Bowl. I know clips of Boyd Dowler's two touchdowns still exist. I'd love to know if that's also true of Dan Reeves' halfback option touchdown pass to Lance Rentzel and Bart Starr's game-winning QB sneak.
The Ice Bowl was the first entry in the Greatest Games series back around 1997 IIRC. It had almost all the plays -- some three and outs were skipped I think. You may be able to find it on ebay. It was a very good production of nfl films.